• 2(current)
Video scaling in Eden
Lanczos3 and Lanczos3 optimized are visually almost the same, but Lanczos3 optimized is lighter on the GPU. If your card can do both, go with Lanczos3.

I believe you that the 5450 does bilinear. The 5145 in my notebook and the 3450/3850 all do bilinear. And yes, there is a huge difference between Lanczos and bilinear. Smile
Hey, I just ran into my first problem. I have deinterlace video=auto, method=dxva best, and video scaling=lanczos3 saved. However, when I play 1080i video I get stuttering and only about 30 fps. I have to change scaling to DXVA and then it returns to the normal 60 fps. I'm not sure why this is happening. Since it is 1080i, all that's happening is deinterlacing, there should be no scaling to a 1080p output should there? If there's no solution, is there any way via advanced setting or other to tell XBMC to use DXVA video scaling only for 1080i, so I don't have to change settings every time I play a 1080i video? Thanks for the help, and if there is already an existing thread where you guys are discussing this patch please pass it my way.
This is because deinterlacing also uses shaders and even if there is no scaling theoretically (1:1 mapping), the scaling algorithms will run and the 5450 does not have enough shader power to do both at the same time (I have not tested, but the 160 shader 6450 is probably powerful enough).

First thing you can do is trying Lanczos3 optimized, that might work with 1080i. I had an idea to make the 'auto' setting more versatile with a single GUI setting but until this patch gets into master it does not make much sense to implement and maintain.
None of the other options work, not even Bicubic. They all give the same low framerate. Only DXVA works properly. I guess I'm just stuck for now eh?
Looks like it...
Is this the best place to follow work on your patch?

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/838
Yes, that is the best place.
I am interested in video scaling. Where to get access for video scaling to know the detailed process?
(2013-04-08, 09:02)a11599 Wrote: The patch is not in master because as reported it has problems on NV cards (video goes black when changing scaling methods during playback) but I can neither test or attempt to fix it because everything around me is Ati.

There are some factually incorrect statements in that avsforum post (or my 6570 is an exception). If your card has the power you can do DXVA Best and Lanczos/Spline scaling. At least it works with my HD 6570 without any issues. Not sure about the 5450, but I guess it still should have enough power to do it at least with SD videos. Also with DXVA scaling my HD 6570 does definitely better than bilinear (it looks like something between Spline and Lanczos).

You can install the 12.1 build I am using (this is pure 12.1 plus my personal patches from my sig included):
http://subvoice.hu/xbmc/XBMCSetup-12.1-dx.exe

Or if you want to make your own builds, here is a Frodo adjusted patch (not sure about compatibility with current nightlies):
http://pastebin.com/J01c4CYK

Hi, a11599. Great work on this! I've been using MPC-HC with madvr and LAV but would like to wean off of using an external player if I can get pretty close results another way.

However, I downloaded and installed your 12.1 build you posted above, but need some clarification if you don't mind. I don't see a new option in the video settings to choose the "DXVA Best and Lanczos/Spline scaling" methods you refer to. How do I do that?
rainking, the scaling options are right below the deinterlacing options. Choose DXVA Best and then move down to the next option to change the scaling method.

a11599, what's your opinion on Lanczos3 vs Spline36? People on another forum are saying that Spline36 is better, because Lanczos3 can produce ringing artifacts. Honestly, I can't see any difference between the two.
(2013-04-08, 09:02)a11599 Wrote: The patch is not in master because as reported it has problems on NV cards (video goes black when changing scaling methods during playback) but I can neither test or attempt to fix it because everything around me is Ati.

There are some factually incorrect statements in that avsforum post (or my 6570 is an exception). If your card has the power you can do DXVA Best and Lanczos/Spline scaling. At least it works with my HD 6570 without any issues. Not sure about the 5450, but I guess it still should have enough power to do it at least with SD videos. Also with DXVA scaling my HD 6570 does definitely better than bilinear (it looks like something between Spline and Lanczos).

You can install the 12.1 build I am using (this is pure 12.1 plus my personal patches from my sig included):
http://subvoice.hu/xbmc/XBMCSetup-12.1-dx.exe

Or if you want to make your own builds, here is a Frodo adjusted patch (not sure about compatibility with current nightlies):
http://pastebin.com/J01c4CYK

Could you build master branch with your patches applied?
(2013-04-14, 06:13)StinDaWg Wrote: rainking, the scaling options are right below the deinterlacing options. Choose DXVA Best and then move down to the next option to change the scaling method.

Thanks StinDaWg. You're talking under System>Video>Playback, correct? Under the DXVA setting, my only choices are the usuals: Auto detect, DXVA, Pixel Shader, Software. No option for changing the scaling method, either. Weird. I even tried completely uninstalling XBMC and reinstalling it using a11599's installer (again), and no change. Am I missing something? Note that I do have an Nvidia card that's powerful enough for madvr at max settings, if that makes any difference...
@rainking430: You can change scaling in the video settings, during movie playback. Start a movie and click the movie roll icon.

@StinDaWg: Lanczos3 is a little bit sharper but there is also a bit more ringing. Just choose the one that looks better for you. There is no clear winner between the two, that's why both are there so you can choose the one you like. Smile
Which do you use a11599?
(2013-04-14, 18:02)a11599 Wrote: @rainking430: You can change scaling in the video settings, during movie playback. Start a movie and click the movie roll icon.

Ah ok! Just one last question, then. Since it is available only while the movie is playing, does that mean you have to set every time you play a new file, or does it stick for all files played afterward?
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Video scaling in Eden 0