Which is the best machine to run xbmc on?
Which is the best machine to run xbmc on. I am using apple tv 2 right now is there an advantage to using a nettop box? I mainly watch high def streaming movies through 1channel and icefilms films always buffers so I am not able to watch anything on there.
The best machine is probably a 3000 core, 1000000GB RAM, 4 Nvidia cards in SLI super computer.

...it kind of depends on what you want to spend, doesn't it Wink

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
I have an acer revo 3700. In all a very good little machine. Plays everything i throw at it fine. Silent. and small.
A lot of people i know use these or the revo 3610
(2012-04-03, 13:43)skweezer Wrote: I have an acer revo 3700. In all a very good little machine. Plays everything i throw at it fine. Silent. and small.
A lot of people i know use these or the revo 3610

Would I be able to install windows 7 if I connected an external drive on this Nettop? Or will I have to stick with Linux?

Cheers

Wiggo
Well the best way to run XBMC is on a PC with a decent CPU and GPU, nothing high end is really needed to get a great XBMC experience. XBMC does not really need a lot of CPU and GPU power, as like you said an Apple TV can run it. The benefit in using something like a PC over say your Apple TV is the ability to upgrade hardware when and if need be. It also offers the ability to play more high resolution media files. A netbox is okay, but it depends a lot on the hardware. If its an Intel Atom does it have a Nvidia ION/ION2 GPU in it? If it does not I don't think you will even get 720p out of it, I may be wrong but Intel's GPU's are usually really crappy and even more so in netbooks/netboxs. If it uses AMD's APU, you will be good to go it does 1080p fine. So will a ION2, I have an Atom dual core netbook with ION2 GPU and it plays full 1080p blu-rays fine.
If you want to run XBMC on WIndows 7 you will need a more powerful machine compared to running XBMC on linux. I use a Asrock ION 330HT with 4GB RAM and SSD drive (first generation ION) with OpenElec. I've tried running Windows 7 on it but it just isn't capable of running it smoothly. Using Ubuntu with XBMC or OpenElec it's very smooth and more then capable enough.

Please add to my reputation if you find my posts usefull (+/- button below posts)
Ubuntu 12.10 minimal XBMC auto-install script :: XBMControl :: Xbmc XBOX Skins :: XBMControl for Android :: Owner of Sudo Systems
(2012-04-03, 14:55)Bram77 Wrote: If you want to run XBMC on WIndows 7 you will need a more powerful machine compared to running XBMC on linux. I use a Asrock ION 330HT with 4GB RAM and SSD drive (first generation ION) with OpenElec. I've tried running Windows 7 on it but it just isn't capable of running it smoothly. Using Ubuntu with XBMC or OpenElec it's very smooth and more then capable enough.

I've got a spare partition (20gb) on my existing setup. Do you think you could point to a guide as to how to set up linux on that partition please?

Ideally it would have the links to download the necessary software too.

TIA

Wiggo
my 3gs iphone (256mb RAM) was able to run this movie natively :

and it also had played this Full HD video:
This one should work- Asus - EB1021-B028E - Asus Eee Box EB1021-B028E Nettop Computer - AMD E-450 1.65 GHz. It is fully equipped with W7 and other goodies......
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I guess i should be more clear I really just want to watch the hd content on icefilms. Does it matter if i use a dinky apple tv or a 500 dollar super computer?
Apple TV 1 (40 gig) - ~$80 on Amazon
*also comes with remote so you dont need to figure out this option

Broadcom Hardware Decoder BCM970015 - ~$40 from logic supply
*to do your 1080p decoding

Then set up shares on you home computer to play movies off of and your good to go
$120 gets you going
My tv has a usb imput and plays mkv so i dont really care about playing stuff Ive already downloaded just live streaming stuff online and I want it to be high def. I know its not gonna be bluray quality but atleast 720p
so no more insight?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Which is the best machine to run xbmc on?0