Linux Volume drops after fast forward
I'm running XBMC 11.0 on Linux Mint 12. Sound is going over HDMI out to my home theater system. Under system settings->audio output, both 'audio output device' and 'passthrough output device' are set to "HDA Intel - hdmi - 0 (ALSA)". It's the only setting that works.

When I first play a video, the sound works fine. If I skip forward/fast forward, the volume becomes inaudible. I have to turn my stereo up to its highest setting to hear anything, and even then, the volume is relatively low. All other videos now play at the same volume. I have the same problem if I stop watching the first video and watch another (without fast forwarding).

Music and navigation sounds are unaffected. Moreover, playing an audio file fixes the volume issue with videos. In other words, if I watch a video and hit fast forward/stop (creating the volume issue), I can go out, listen to a music file for two seconds, and then watch a video without issue (as long as I don't hit fast forward, etc).

The problem crops up on every video file I've tried, over a number of different formats. It also occurs on both XBMCbuntu and Linux Mint 12.

I'd greatly appreciate any insight into the problem. Thanks.
On further investigation, it turns out the problem only crops up with videos that have stereo audio. AC3 5.1 videos work fine after fast forwarding, etc.

I've tried a bunch of the solutions offered for other audio problems: using custom audio devices; setting output to Optical or Analog instead of HDMI; editing asound.rc; installing ubuntu-desktop. None of this has worked.

Any thoughts?
Can you check if XBMC's internal volume control is affected when this happens?
XBMC's internal volume doesn't change at all. It's maxed out both times. Same goes for alsamixer (checked in ssh) and the xbox mixer addon.

Also, navigation sounds are not being played through HDMI. I thought they were before, but it was coming through my laptop speakers. Muting those speakers stopped navigation sounds.

EDIT: Another strange thing - if I change the surround mode on my receiver (eg, 5 Channel Stereo, Direct, Rock Arena, etc), it temporarily fixes the volume issue (just like playing music). But, as above, if I hit fast forward, pause, etc, the volume drops by ~60 or 70 db.
Hello

Its a quite old post now, but i run in the same issue.
XBMC installed under Ubuntu 10.04 Server (minimal installation). Sound via HDMI to a Denon 1910 Receiver. I have no problem with sound over multi channel.

Stereo sound (mp3 or mpeg) is playing well when i start a file. If i skip or pause, the sound "disappear". Also like user moewhite the sound increase again if i change the surround mode on the denon.

I appreciate any help to this strange issue.

Same issue on only one of my two XBMC boxes. Both running Ubuntu 12.04 and latest nightlies.

When I pause a video, the XBMC volume defaults back to something like -45db. Same if I'm playing a queue and one video stops and another starts.

At other times recently, the sound will fade in and out seemingly randomly. A video will be playing and the volume will sound as though it has dropped 10db from baseline (no OSD indication), then a minute or two later it will suddenly sound 10db higher than the baseline.
logfile or it never happened. Use the nightly from today - and for the future don't warm up years old threads.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Volume drops after fast forward0