ATV 1, Mac Mini, SMB, Still too Slow?
The Setup:

1TB USB HD -- Mac Mini (Core Duo) -- Linksys E2500 --(Ethernet/SMB) -- ATV 1

ATV is running Eden. ATV has Broadcom Crystal HD card installed.
Network is wired Ethernet.

The Problem:

Higher bitrate content causes XBMC to stutter and/or rebuffer frequently.

- Usually happens with 720p content, e.g. 1 GB/hour or higher bitrate

- When starting to play files, video stutters and is out of sync with audio. Video settles down and syncs with audio after playing for 10-20 seconds.

- When fast forwarding or rewinding in files, video and audio go out of sync. Must stop playback and start again for video and audio to sync.

- With higher bitrate files. 1.5 GB/hour for example, video stutters, syncs with audio briefly, then rebuffers every 10 to 15 seconds.

- No problems playing lower bitrate SD content.

It appears that the Mac Mini just can't send data to the ATV fast enough. I've tried quitting all unnecessary processes on the Mac Mini, but that doesn't help.

Options:

- According to the XMBC documentation, SMB is the preferred protocol. Should I try another protocol? FTP? NFS?

- Any other options? I could try connecting the USB drives directly to the ATV, but would rather the ATV connect to a server to get the files. Anyone had any luck connecting multiple USB drives to an ATV 1?

I have got my ATV1 setup with NAS, no problem with playing 720p or 1080p.

I know there is a USB port on ATV1 could you try to connect your USB HDD straight into your ATV1 which will allow you to rule out if it is the network issue or something not correctly configured on your XBMC/ATV1

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
ATV 1, Mac Mini, SMB, Still too Slow?0