New HTPC!!
+1 for Driver 944, Secure Erase your SSD prior to installing windows.
u can use PartedMagic for that easy...

and also, make sure you set your bios to ahci sata type
since its best for SSD's!

so do these 2 things before installing windows.
Sad 
OK, guys. I flipped over the power supply, drilled out the rivet, and turned the chassis fan around.

I also used Parted Magic to do a secure erase on the SSD. Thanks to Driver 944 and eskro!! I was shocked that it took all of 6 seconds!!!

Now I'm having problems trying to install Windows 7. Confused

I remembered that I have a Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack Upgrade disk with one license left over, so I figured I'll use it on this HTPC and save myself some $$. The upgrade disk only works if a previous version of Windows is installed, so I chose Windows XP.

I did like eskro said, and set bios to AHCI sata type, but quickly found out that this doesn't work with XP. So I switched the bios back to IDE, installed Windows XP without any problems, updated drivers, and everything is working OK.

Now, for the problem I'm having: I went back into the BIOS and switched back to AHCI. When I try to do the upgrade to Windows 7 with a USB stick I made with Wintoflash, I get past the first screen where it asks which language, etc. The next screen pops up with an error: "A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB flash drive, please install it now."

I googled this error, and get conflicting info. I didn't even have a CD/DVD drive installed in the case, so I know the error is really about something else. I followed someone else's advice, and downloaded ALL the Windows 7 64 bit drivers from ASRock website for my motherboard. I thought maybe it was a SATA controller or something. So I put all the drivers on the USB stick, and the next time I got the error, I browsed to the drivers, one at a time; but none of them work. It seems like the W7 installation can't access the SSD, or maybe I need to get a Windows 7 driver for the USB stick. I do have a spare DVDRW drive laying around. Maybe I'll burn the Windows 7 ISO to a blank DVD, and try to install from thatHuh

Anybody else have any other suggestions? Confused

***UPDATE***

I tried switching back to IDE mode, this made no difference.

I also tried installing from the DVDRW drive. I still get the same error. I looked on OCZ website for drivers, but all they have is firmware updates. I doubt I need that.

The weird thing is, I had no problem doing a fresh Windows 7 OEM install on the Acer Revo with this same SSD.

I'm literally stumped at this point.

HELP!!

My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
to me,
this is a typical windows error you can get when trying to 'upgrade' windows overall...
i never suggest users to 'upgrade' like that...
recipe for disaster...
start fresh,
use brand new install of win7..
I am trying to think on your error. I install windows all the time with the USB...... yes you want win 7 to take advantage of dxva2.... did you disable the CD from bios? first boot USB?
burn a FULL install of win7 .ISO to USB...
(2012-04-08, 05:36)eskro Wrote: to me,
this is a typical windows error you can get when trying to 'upgrade' windows overall...
i never suggest users to 'upgrade' like that...
recipe for disaster...
start fresh,
use brand new install of win7..

I have done the upgrade on two other machines. Each time, I used the custom install method, and formatted the hard drive, which yielded a fresh, clean W7 install. I figured I could do the same thing on this machine. In fact, this is how I installed Windows on the desktop PC in my office, which I built from parts. You're right about doing a "upgrade" install, eskro. I have heard many horror stories. This is different.

(2012-04-08, 05:41)Beer40oz Wrote: I am trying to think on your error. I install windows all the time with the USB...... yes you want win 7 to take advantage of dxva2.... did you disable the CD from bios? first boot USB?

Thanks for the help, 40. I'm not sure how to disable CD from bios if there wasn't a CD drive attached to the motherboard to begin with. As far as boot USB, yes I did this. The error message comes up after the install commences. The first screen is the one where it asks which language. this screen comes on, I choose English, click next, then it says "Setup is Starting", then the error. I'll keep working at it.

(2012-04-08, 05:52)eskro Wrote: burn a FULL install of win7 .ISO to USB...

That's a great suggestion, eskro. I tried this as well, using the ISO files supplied by "Digital River", which is the official Microsoft authorized reseller. Here is a link to those ISO files, in case anyone else needs them:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/windows-7-.../#comments

They even have ISO files for Windows 7 installs with SP1 slipstreamed in, which I've also tried.:

http://techdows.com/2011/07/download-win...links.html

Any other ideas?
well i dont know about those ISO's there you've linked too,,,,
for now, try this....
lets try again....

Download this ISO --> Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1 (bootable)
then, download this app --> WinToBootic

as simply as it is,
insert at least a 4GB USB flash drive in HTPC,
run WInToBootic
drag and drop your ISO into WInToBootic
and start creating your bootable win7 install flash drive --> WinToBootic Tutorial

then again,
Secure Erase your SSD using PartedMagic --> Secure Erase Tutorial
and also make sure you set your bios to AHCI sata type --> Screen Shot
then boot on USB and install win7

So, works now?
Quote:well i dont know about those ISO's there you've linked too,,,,

My ISO comes from the same place as yours:

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24395.iso

I just happened to link to the page that has all the links for the different versions of Windows.

I did another Secure Erase with Parted Magic, went to BIOS, and switched to AHCI mode again, and just tried to do a install with a USB I made using wintoflash. I used the Home Premium one:

http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-24209.iso

I need to do Home Premium, because that is what I have a license for.

I got the same error as before, so it had nothing to do with the Windows XP install that was on the SSD before. I'll have to trick Windows into thinking I had a pevious version installed in order for the upgrade license key to work. Hopefully this will work:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/...k_fresh_pc

I'll try again, using the program you suggested, WinToBootic. Maybe Wintoflash is the problem!

Thanks again for your help, eskro!!
** i suspect Wintoflash to suck **

WinToBootic FTW!!

again, on HTPC,
Secure Erase your SSD using PartedMagic --> Secure Erase Tutorial
and also make sure you set your bios to AHCI sata type --> Screen Shot

then, from another computer,
insert at least a 4GB USB flash drive in HTPC,
run WInToBootic
drag and drop win7 ISO into WInToBootic
and start creating your win7 usb flash drive --> WinToBootic Tutorial

then on HTPC,
insert the USB flash drive,
boot on it
and install win7

So, works now?
Quote:WinToBootic FTW!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Big Grin Laugh Cool Nod

I never thought I'd be so effing excited to read the words, "Expanding Windows Files"!!!

Now the only thing I have to worry about is getting it to activate with my upgrade license key. I'll let you know how it goes on that end.

I think I might just leave the DVD-RW drive in the HTPC. It was just sitting here collecting dust anyway. It could come in handy for the occasional time when we have an actual disc to play (can't remember the last time I watched a movie like that) Tongue

Thanks again, eskro.

Eskro FTMFW!!! Cool
So WinToBootic FTW prevailed?
(2012-04-08, 10:01)eskro Wrote: So WinToBootic FTW prevailed?

I had to do the regedit trick, then the rearm, then the phone activation. When it asked how many computers this license was used on, I said 2 (1 more available from the 3 license family pack).

They didn't like that, so I called again and said 0. This worked, and it activated.

Now for the fun stuff; installing all the drivers, usenet apps, and finally MQ3!! Love

I can already feel how much snappier this is coming from a Atom/Ion Revo.

i ask because u talked about a cd-rom in your other post
(2012-04-08, 11:39)eskro Wrote: i ask because u talked about a cd-rom in your other post

Ya, that was unrelated to the Windows install. I used WinToBootic for the install.

I was just thinking about leaving the DVD-RW drive in the HTPC for rare occasions.

Sorry for the confusion. Rolleyes
oh ok...

well then, glad it works now!

FTW!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC!!0