New HTPC!!
My Living Room Theater XBMC Mini-ITX Build
CASE: MI-100 - MOBO: ASRock A75M-ITX - APU: A6-3500
Kingston 4GB 1600MHz - SanDisk 128GB SSD -- DVDRW
W7 HP - Kodi 15 - Confluence | ATV1 w/BCM970015 & Crystalbuntu in the BR
(2012-04-06, 07:24)Beer40oz Wrote:
(2012-04-06, 07:12)eskro Wrote: Nooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring it I will shoot it next to the CX430PSU..... lol

CX430 was supposed to be THE THING!!
and it went downHiLL,, fook it,,,
First thing I did after unpacking everything was to take out the power supply. This is obviously the easiest way to install everything else!!

Next, I attached the RAM, CPU, and heatsink/fan assembly to the motherboard. I figured this would be easier BEFORE putting the motherboard into the case.

Now it starts to get fun! Set the motherboard into the case, and make all the front panel connections. I hooked up the USB to the CIR header, so I can power on/off the HTPC with a remote later. I'm not sure how to do this yet, but I will figure it out with Eskro's thread of course!! Wink

OK. We can put the power supply back in place now. I didn't use the 24 to 20 pin ATX power adapter cable. I took the little sticker off the motherboard that was blocking the last four pins, and connected the 24 pin cable. I also hooked up the 4 pin ATX power connector, and the tiny speaker. Somebody in another thread recommended using double sided sticky tape to attach the SSD, so that's what I did; right on the bottom of the case. Hooked up the SATA power and data cables, and tidied up a bit with wire ties.

The chassis fan really only fits in one spot in this case. By process of elimination, I figured out where that spot is. The manual that came with the fan says you should have the same amount intake air as you do exhaust air. I figured with only one fan, exhaust is the way to go. What do other people do with a Mini-ITX case for air flow?

The rear I/O ports lined up pretty well with the plate.

Here are some more pics from different angles.

Now I can finally put the cover back on. The case is smaller than I expected. Here is a pic of it next to my Revo, for reference.

I'm tired, and need to work early in the morning. So, it's time for bed. Tomorrow, I'll install Windows, update all the drivers, and do the XBMC/SAB/SB/CP thing. Can't wait to see how this thing performs compared to my Revo and ATV1!!! Big Grin

thanks 4 the pics!!

were missing build threads like yours!

Keep'em coming!

u can always monitor temps when fan intakes cold air
versus fan exhausts hot air!

but i would intake cold air.

the gap between your CPU and PSU is close to none..
it would really help having that SilenX fan pushe 74CFM right towards it!
I would only suggest turning the heat sink hold down clip around, on my builds, that took up precious room around the drive bays I needed for routing and cable management.

I also had problems with the side case fan. Mounting it in the other direction caused the fan blades to hit that rivet on the bottom. I guess it may be hit of miss on how much that rivet is deformed.
Very awesome! seems you are a happy camper.... lets us know how loud or silent your build is. I know the stock gpu cooler is loud?
Stock GPU cooler is probably more noisy then the stock CPU cooler...
(2012-04-06, 07:11)maddog808 Wrote: Hey Eskro, that picture is just for you, cuz I know how much you LOVE OCZ!!! Rofl
I installed OCZ in my wife uncle PC for more than a year. Not a single issue with it......Tongue

(2012-04-06, 11:10)maddog808 Wrote: Somebody in another thread recommended using double sided sticky tape to attach the SSD, so that's what I did; right on the bottom of the case. Hooked up the SATA power and data cables, and tidied up a bit with wire ties.
I did in this thread- post #5...

(2012-04-06, 11:10)maddog808 Wrote: The chassis fan really only fits in one spot in this case. By process of elimination, I figured out where that spot is. The manual that came with the fan says you should have the same amount intake air as you do exhaust air. I figured with only one fan, exhaust is the way to go. What do other people do with a Mini-ITX case for air flow?

Since room temperature is cooler than inside the case, inlet air flow is the best for a single case fan.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Looks good! I have a few comments for you.

Unless you plan to drill air holes in the top of the case, I think your power supply is upside down. (?)

If you don't already know, you should secure erase that drive before you install Windows. Do not try to format the drive.

I have the same case. In order to have the fan intake air, I had to drill out the rivet in the bottom of the case to prevent the fan from hitting it. If you use it for exhaust, it's not a problem.

I'll flip the fan around when I get home from work later, and monitor the temps. It's going into a coat closet with a Yamaha receiver, RF remote base, HD Homerun, and wireless access point. It's pretty warm in there, but probably not as hot as the inside of the HTPC, huh?

I plugged in this HTPC last night, connected the ethernet cable and HDMI cable. Turned it on, and the fan kicked on, TV responded (blue screen turned black), ethernet port lights flickered, and the HDD LED lit up a few times. I never heard a beep from the internal speaker, and nothing ever came on the screen.

Is this normal before a operating system has been installed? I'll try to install W7 with Win To Flash later and see what happens.
does the PSU fan pushes air or sucks air?

test with a napkin Tongue
(2012-04-06, 17:27)Driver 944 Wrote: Looks good! I have a few comments for you.

Unless you plan to drill air holes in the top of the case, I think your power supply is upside down. (?)

If you don't already know, you should secure erase that drive before you install Windows. Do not try to format the drive.

I have the same case. In order to have the fan intake air, I had to drill out the rivet in the bottom of the case to prevent the fan from hitting it. If you use it for exhaust, it's not a problem.

All good info!! I'll flip over the power supply as well.

Drill out the rivet, no problem.

Keep the suggestions coming, people! I love the feedback. This is my first build, so I need the experienced users to help me along.

Thanks again!!

Why can't I just format the drive and do a clean install of Windows?

How do I do a secure erase?

Can I just hook it up to a spare SATA port in my office desktop PC, and use some fancy software?
Secure Erasing a SSD does not format it. It wipes it clean and restores it to fresh-out-of-the-box condition.

http://blog.ocztechnology.com/?p=367

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_g55-jdHAK4&hd=1
Please let me know if the stock cpu fan is loud? or where you able to tone it down with the bios. I guess you have to do some testing.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC!!0