[Linux] Confused, is Intel graphics still poo?
I'm a recently former, happy owner, of an Asrock ION 330 box.
Finally got an 1080p screen (Sony HX723). Trying to playback 1080p content, started making problems.
The ION GPU, seems to slow down, getting 10-12 fps. Tried to measure GPU heat. 85c when just in gnome, when XBMC start, it's about 93-94c.
I think it's always had this problem, but just noticed it now, when got more demanding content. Always been so happy with that little box.

Anyway, 3 years after purchasing the Asrock, and now trying to find a nice replacement.
All I'm left with, is purchasing another Asrock, D525 w. ION2 wich is almost the same, but about $100 more, thant i gave for my original Asrock ION 330.
Where's Moore's law, doubling speed in 18 months?
Or a new Zotac barebone, with almost same CPU+GPU, at the same price i payd 3 years ago for the Asrock (incl HD and 2 GB ram).

Zotac ID82 (small, i3, noise-level? ) is about to enter the market. No real price yet. Tempting. But...I'm only running Linux.
Running Apache, Postfix, spamassasin, samba, dhcp etc in the background. Just private, not hosting for anyone.
ID82 is running Intel Graphics. Small box, with no possibility, of inserting af small Nvidia card afterwards.
I've read that a lot of work has been done, by both XBMC-team and Intel, have made great progress, in great teamwork.

But...is that enough? Is there still an Intel 24p bug? And is it noticable, for people with normal eyes? Blush
Is the new Intel HD Graphic GPU better than my old ION on Linux?

I will end where i should have started. my requirements are:

Low noise
Low power
A GPU that will work with Linux (i don't mind compiling, and tweaking, if it will work)
A GPU that handles most things, including 1080p without heat problems.
(wish...Full 3D if possible...HTPC Category 7...got 3D screen - still to get 3D glasses)
More CPU power than my Atom 330....
Low noise, low power...

As subject says, I'm really confused...searched a lot, but still confused.
Hope for some feedback that can help my confussion :-)
If Intel's GPU's are fine now, with Linux, it would open so many more options :-)

Happy Easter Angel
CoreELEC 19.3
LG OLED CX 65 - Yamaha RX-V775 . Dali Opticon 6.
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=122720

Happy Easter
eskro - thanks for the link. Also, I've read your guides, and recommendations. So many great value setups, thanks :-)
...But...mostly for Windows, as in the link...
Bare in mind...I'm an old school commandline guy, that hated X11 and afterwards I also hate Xorg ;-)

If this nice Zotac ID82...or another alike Intel GPU setup, gets a good price, is it workable on Linux?
CoreELEC 19.3
LG OLED CX 65 - Yamaha RX-V775 . Dali Opticon 6.
i dont see why not.
Asrock ion 330 should play 1080p without raising a sweat .... Mine does.
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
My ASRock used to play 1080p as well, until it died less than 2years after purchase.
a low-powered Intel Core I3-T model with HD-2000 or 3000 gfx works well also for xbmc these days, with some tweaks ofc.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Hi,

did someone see this one ?

Intel® D2700MUD (Intel® Atom D2700 + GMA3650) - about 70 € !
http://www.intel.com/support/motherboard...032620.htm

Someone told, that with linux kernels >3.1. it runs very well ... but I've heard the same about intel-driver-mess .. not sure if the GMA 3650 is supported well by Linux ?!? Especially 1080p support ?!?

Greetz

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
... okay .. searched around the net .. I guess we can forget Intel:

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/01/03/intel...et-points/
http://www.linuxtech.net/reviews/intel_D..._draw.html

Quote:"Getting back to the GPU side of the house, Cedar Trail was supposed to deliver DX10.1 graphics. The transistors are there, the performance should be there, but, err, the drivers are not. Again. No really, just when you thought Intel could not make worse drivers for graphics, they do. There has not been a single Atom part that had functional drivers, ever. There has not been a single Intel desktop graphics core that had drivers that didn’t absolutely suck, and Sandy Bridge is going to repeat the worst performance on record, that of the i965 and G35. What is that? To literally never deliver functional drivers before the chip is replaced. Congratulations Intel, your streak of needless performance failures is unbroken."

I read, that with the latest Cedartrail platform there is even NO 64Bit support !

So long

LastCoder
HTPC Specs: Silverstone GD05B Case, ASUS P8H61-M LE/USB3, i5-3470S, GT1030, 8 GB RAM , 2 TB HDD, iHOS104 BluRay Drive, TT DVBS2-1600, Sony PS3 BD Remote control
PS3 BD Remote Control Daemon for Kodi/Linux
UNCHAINED Demo Group
GMA3650 is not Intel HD gfx IIRC, but instead PowerVR gfx. It's like comparing apples and rocks. And powervr gfx is not even opensource
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Linux] Confused, is Intel graphics still poo?0