Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-04-10, 12:23)abudabi Wrote: Aww man... I was about to get my hands down and dirty and try to compile AE. So are you saying I'm outta luck with my Ati HD5450 on ubuntu?

It's been a while since I've had my back speakers connected but I'm pretty sure I got 5.1 sound via HDMI last time they were up... or I'm loosing my mind Smile

You will be able to get DTS and Dolby 5.1 via HDMI because those two formats only utilize two channels. The HD codecs such as DTS-HD and TrueHD require more than two channels. fglrx and OSS drivers on Linux only implement 2 channels via HDMI on ALSA. Supposedly they need additional information from AMD regarding how to get > 2 channels to work but AMD is caught up in constant legal red tape.

I ran an ATI card at first with AE and got constant errors that ALSA could not open the required number of channels for HD codecs. My research to date is that ATI based cards still cannot passthrough > 2 channel audio. You can, however, use ffmpeg to decode the audio first and then output via PCM to your receiver. Not the best situation but it will work. I ended up just switching to an nVidia card.

(2012-04-11, 21:33)abudabi Wrote: I currently have the Xvba version installed but would like to play around with the AE build. How do I compile it without hosing my current xbmc installation? Uber noob here.. havent compiled a thing in my life before.

(2012-04-12, 08:33)Roelio Wrote: Ps. To bad I don't have enough knowledge of compiling it.. So I'll be waiting for some binaries.

(2012-04-12, 12:42)Roelio Wrote: ps. the OP mentioned something about us people to please not become a tester so I think it's wise to move out.

Mostly because some experience with git and compiling was necessary. Now that gnif has officially updated his branch with the core xbmc code, I'd feel more comfortable posting binaries. I'll update the first post with generic compile instructions and then compile an x86 and x86_64 build on Ubuntu later.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE

Messages In This Thread
RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - by wingrunr21 - 2012-04-13, 15:56
Almost there, but still no HD - by OkvOkv - 2012-04-17, 03:54
AudioEngine testers - Linux only - by Ritzie - 2012-05-12, 18:36
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4