• 3(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-04-16, 01:01)Drae Wrote: The NVidia driver you're using 295.xx is a pita - try dropping to 290 or 280/285. I don't know if this is something Gnif et al can fix - that driver has caused various issues for peeps as far as I know, not just audio wise.

EDIT: for my atrocious grammar!

Hi Drae,
bingo! Downgrading the driver worked immediately.

No other changes!

So it must be something with the driver 295.

I hope this helps the developer.

For all: driver 290.10 works with Ubuntu 11.04 server edition 32 bit.
Video card: GT430
hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3
There is a known issue with 295 - bobo1on1 notified nVidia of the issue - hopefully it get's corrected on their end. One of their functions was creating a loop.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I've serious trouble with a soundblaster audigy2 zs analog output: when xbmc starts, audio level is EXTREMELY HIGH (damn!!!!) and with a very very distorted sound near to damage my studio monitors (arrrgghhhh!!!!).

Here a log when xbmc was started and I had to immediately kill http://pastebin.com/91m9zucv
May as well post this now, the information I have collected may be useful.
Trying to get True-HD and DTS-MA working, as that is the main reason for building this htpc.
Progress was reasonably good until trying to fix the final issue - HD sound.

I have done numerous builds and configurations with ubuntu 11.10, and now 12.04, and XBMC from 11.0 RC1 -> RC2 -> release, pulseaudio-patch, audioengine.
Several attempts to install drivers and alsa versions.
This configuration is the closest I have come to a working system:

XBMC 12.0-ALPHA1 Git:20120416-afbac7c, Platform: Linux (Ubuntu precise (development branch), 3.2.0-23-generic-pae i686). Built on Apr 16 2012.
All drivers and alsa are from the ubuntu 12.04.

Still, there is only distorted, noisy sound when playing anything HD (Dolby True HD, DTS MA).
2-ch PCM, DTS, DD, DTS.HD (5.1/24-96) works, on HDMI.

Hardware:
Asus P8H67I-Deluxe with Intel i3 2120 cpu, 4Gb RAM.
(Intel Cougarpoint HD audio).
HDMI to AV receiver.
Tested on Win7-install where everything works fine, including TrueHD, DTS-MA (Verified by inspecting audio format detected by receiver - channels, codec, sample rates).

card, codec:
Realtek ALC892
Intel CougarPoint HDMI

eld#3.0:
eld

xbmc log; start xbmc - open and play truehd clip - exit:
TrueHD

xbmc log; start xbmc - open and play dts-ma clip - exit:
DTS-MA

Does disabling VAAPI help?
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
Just FYI, there's some differences between my Windows code / builds and gnif's current repo. We know a few things are broken in gnif's right now...
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-04-17, 05:05)wingrunr21 Wrote: Does disabling VAAPI help?

Disable or enable VAAPI or VDPAU makes no difference.
Enable Sync playback to display causes some files to fail.
Menu sound also works now, never did before.
Now both menu and playback sound works simultaneously.

Sound does not work from other applications, when xbmc is running.
If Firefox is strted from xbmc, then there is no sound when playing videos or flash.
If xbmc is shut down, sound works again in other apps, such as Firefox.
Hi,
I'm using the last gnif's build and I downgraded to Nvidia driver 290.10 and it's working like a charm! No need of any custom device, alsa device enumeration is working very well (huge improvement!)
True HD and DTS MA/HD are not working: channels are detected by the amplifier but I hear the raw signal (displayed as PCM on the amplifier). It might be a limitation on my chipset (Nvidia 320M).
BTW I am using a Macmini 4,1 (2010 model) intel core2 + nvidia 320M.

The work you've done is really impressive Smile
Couple of comments on this thread ... I'm seeing a lot of general Linux sound issues, and not really AE issues. Can you guys first make sure that your configuration is sane on Eden before trying AE? FYI, once I got my audio configured correctly, I haven't had too much in the way of immediate, audio related problems ... Most of the issues are either merge based (my build from last Saturday has library management problems for instance), or issues that arise after a few hours of use switching between codecs.

Another thing is to make sure that you're building it correctly. We should make sure the OP is correct in terms of flags; I've always built with '--disable-pulse', as recommended in the core thread at one point. Everything has worked, but is that the correct method going forward?
As of now pulse is disabled by default in the AE builds afaik - since it's not yet supported - least I'm sure I saw a commit disabling it.
I even posted about the fact that Pulse is now disabled by default...
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

(2012-04-17, 23:59)pike Wrote: I even posted about the fact that Pulse is now disabled by default...
But that would mean we have to actually have read the topic from the start ... and that takes time! 

* I did actually read the topic from the beginning soon after it was posted but completely forgot about your post, sorry! I only remembered the commit
Wink 
(2012-04-17, 16:10)OkvOkv Wrote: Disable or enable VAAPI or VDPAU makes no difference.
Enable Sync playback to display causes some files to fail.
Menu sound also works now, never did before.
Now both menu and playback sound works simultaneously.

Do the TrueHD/DTSMA tracks work in mplayer or equivalent?

(2012-04-17, 19:49)oo_void Wrote: Couple of comments on this thread ... I'm seeing a lot of general Linux sound issues, and not really AE issues. Can you guys first make sure that your configuration is sane on Eden before trying AE? FYI, once I got my audio configured correctly, I haven't had too much in the way of immediate, audio related problems ... Most of the issues are either merge based (my build from last Saturday has library management problems for instance), or issues that arise after a few hours of use switching between codecs.

Another thing is to make sure that you're building it correctly. We should make sure the OP is correct in terms of flags; I've always built with '--disable-pulse', as recommended in the core thread at one point. Everything has worked, but is that the correct method going forward?
There have been several people that stated their audio environment worked in Eden and did not in AE. I actually would argue that people need to make sure they have a sane ALSA environment by testing via the ALSA tools as well as via an ffmpeg based player like mplayer before proclaiming that it is AE that does not function properly.

The official XBMC linux compile docs do it the way I posted: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...nd_install

Also, I run a source-based distro. I am pretty sure my compile instructions are right. Wink

Edit:
I updated the first post to reflect the nVidia drivers situation. I also added the information about pulse being disabled by default. If those of you who are having issues with the 295.x drivers could keep this thread updated if you get them to work I'd appreciate it. It will be difficult for me to know when they are "working" since those drivers are currently working properly for me.
HTPC: Gentoo linux amd64 w/ xbmc merged with AE
A heap of changes went in last night to the effect of audio configuration under Linux, DDDamian is working hard to make Windows work just as well and Fneufneu should have OSS updated also so BSD works again.

AE is now able to detect the correct HDMI output device if you have ALSA 1.0.25 or later, or a 3.3 kernel. Custom output device has been removed as AE can accurately determine what devices you now have and their capability, here is the log output from my HTPC for example:

Code:
15:26:58 T:3078527344   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevicesEx - Skipping HDMI device hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0 as it has no ELD data
15:26:58 T:3078527344   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevicesEx - Skipping HDMI device hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=2 as it has no ELD data
15:26:58 T:3078527344   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::EnumerateDevicesEx - Skipping HDMI device hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3 as it has no ELD data
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO: Enumerated ALSA devices:
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO:     Device 1
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO:         m_deviceName      : hdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO:         m_displayName     : HDA NVidia
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO:         m_displayNameExtra: ONK TX-SR508 on HDMI
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO:         m_deviceType      : AE_DEVTYPE_HDMI
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO:         m_channels        : FL,FR,LFE,FC,BL,BR,SL,SR
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO:         m_sampleRates     : 32000,44100,48000,88200,96000,176400,192000
15:26:58 T:3078527344    INFO:         m_dataFormats     : AE_FMT_LPCM,AE_FMT_AC3,AE_FMT_DTS,AE_FMT_EAC3,AE_FMT_DTSHD,AE_FMT_TRUEHD,AE_FMT_S32NE,AE_FMT_S16NE

@wingrunr21 - DTSHD and TrueHD have been working in mplayer with AE for quite some time now, but the code there is a little unstable and breaks from system to system, we are still trying to sort this out.
I am not scared of SVN - Cutting my hands open on the bleeding edge.
I'm not still able to test AE with my environment (always working until recently) and xbmc crash while I'm trying to choose audio device output from system>system>audio output>audio output device. Crash log http://pastebin.com/5NtqVe1w

Code:
$ uname -a
Linux joehtpc 2.6.35-02063513-generic #201105160905 SMP Mon May 16 09:10:26 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Code:
$ dpkg-query -W| grep alsa
alsa-base    1.0.25+dfsg-0ubuntu1
alsa-utils    1.0.25-1ubuntu5
libsdl1.2debian-alsa    1.2.14-6.1ubuntu4

configure
Code:
./configure --disable-vaapi --disable-crystalhd --with-cpu=x86_64 --enable-airplay --disable-pulse

Please someone can point me to the right direction where to investigateHuh?
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4