• 19(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-05-31, 16:26)DDDamian Wrote: Bluray's can run ~8MB/sec, so you'll have issues for sure. If just copying the file was slow you need to look at network issues for sure.

Multichannel flac plays fine here - that sounds like a setup issue with your audio.

ive just stuck the gigabit card in, seems to be an instant improvement. When copying files to my XBMC from the NAS box over using WinSCP, it still seems pretty slow. Strangely copying files from my other PC to XBMC is fine now :S but anyway sorry to get off track, i know this isnt a general support thread! Either way it seems blu rays are streaming properly now, or at least fast enough to be useable with the new card.

With regards to multichannel flac, it just freezes, the play timer comes up but its sits at 0:00 and when press stop it just locks up XBMC. Are there any particular settings I need to set?

Thanks for your help
(2012-05-31, 16:54)d_hero Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 16:26)DDDamian Wrote: Bluray's can run ~8MB/sec, so you'll have issues for sure. If just copying the file was slow you need to look at network issues for sure.

Multichannel flac plays fine here - that sounds like a setup issue with your audio.

ive just stuck the gigabit card in, seems to be an instant improvement. When copying files to my XBMC from the NAS box over using WinSCP, it still seems pretty slow. Strangely copying files from my other PC to XBMC is fine now :S but anyway sorry to get off track, i know this isnt a general support thread! Either way it seems blu rays are streaming properly now, or at least fast enough to be useable with the new card.

With regards to multichannel flac, it just freezes, the play timer comes up but its sits at 0:00 and when press stop it just locks up XBMC. Are there any particular settings I need to set?

Thanks for your help

The most relevent would be:
- must be HDMI or analog for multichannel flac unless you are trancoding to AC3 - optical cannot pass multichannel LPCM
- receiver supports multichannel LPCM
- speaker config > 2.0
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
yeah that is what i have set. ill try and post a log if thats ok?
ok heres the log:

http://pastebin.com/3SWSZwZL

its around line 940 that i start to play the file
From log it looks like ALSA rejecting it - check your ALSA config.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
ok, im sorry im not sure what to check or how to look for it Confused
Seems to be the nightmare of Linux audio - sorry, I'm a Windows programmer so I can't help you, but I sure wish someone would write a guide for you guys. Setting up ALSA seems to be the biggest single issue ppl have with XBMC Linux.
oh ok, well thanks for your help anyway, the new AE is great so far, especially now i can watch films again! Will have to delve in further to try and get my flacs working
(2012-05-27, 06:21)Aenima99x Wrote:
(2012-05-27, 01:01)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-05-26, 19:38)Aenima99x Wrote: Done. Thanks!

I tried the sample file and it plays okay here - some glitches in the file encoding itself, visible in VLC too, but otherwise watchable. Turns out I did have a mono file here too, and it plays fine. I confirmed that AE is correctly upmixing the mono to stereo correctly.

I had a look thru your previous log, where you played an Abbott & Costello flick - one thing I noted was it was upconverting or transcoding to AC3. As a test, can you disable "Receiver supports AC3" in the Audio Output settings of XBMC and try again? Just want to see if that trancoding to AC3 is an issue.

Gave that a shot and it fixed the issue....

Not trying to bug you, just wanted to see if you had a chance to look at this. Thanks!
Hey everbody,

I'm currently strugling to get my media center up and running. Today I installed the AE version by accident to solve a problem with MPEG1 playback. Everything worked fine including audio (either via HDMI or via analog out).

However I want the system to put audio on both outputs so I built myself a nice little .asoundrc. It works wonderful: 5.1 on analog output to an old surround system and 2.0 on HDMI to a stereo TV.
However I could not find the custom output option any more (I am sure it was there before replacing the ubuntu version with the git version). And, as you stated in this thread a couple of times, it is gone.
Whatever, I thought, just replace it in the config file:

Code:
<audiooutput>
        <ac3passthrough>false</ac3passthrough>
        <audiodevice>ALSA:beide</audiodevice>
        <channellayout>8</channellayout>
        <dontnormalizelevels>true</dontnormalizelevels>
        <dtshdpassthrough>false</dtshdpassthrough>
        <dtspassthrough>false</dtspassthrough>
        <guisoundmode>1</guisoundmode>
        <mode>0</mode>
        <multichannellpcm>false</multichannellpcm>
        <passthroughaac>false</passthroughaac>
        <passthroughdevice>ALSA:beide</passthroughdevice>
        <stereoupmix>false</stereoupmix>
        <truehdpassthrough>false</truehdpassthrough>
    </audiooutput>

The "beide" device is the one which outputs to both devices.
Unfortunately xbmc ignores this setting and chooses to use hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0 instead (which is the surround system).

The log for that specific part is:
Code:
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - sink incompatible, re-starting
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Attempting to open device hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Your hardware does not support AE_FMT_FLOAT, trying other formats
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Using data format AE_FMT_S32NE
18:47:52 T:140392427419520   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Request: periodSize 512, periods 16, bufferSize 8192
18:47:52 T:140392427419520   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Got: periodSize 512, periods 16, bufferSize 8192
18:47:52 T:140392427419520   DEBUG: CAESinkALSA::InitializeHW - Setting timeout to 186 ms
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - ALSA Initialized:
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO:   Output Device : hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO:   Sample Rate   : 44100
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO:   Sample Format : AE_FMT_S32NE
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO:   Channel Count : 2
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO:   Channel Layout: FL,FR
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO:   Frames        : 512
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO:   Frame Samples : 1024
18:47:52 T:140392427419520    INFO:   Frame Size    : 8
18:47:52 T:140392427419520   DEBUG: CSoftAE::Initialize - Using speaker layout: 5.1

The full log can be found here at pastebin.

Dear developers: I need that functionality!

Please please please ... enable us to use stuff that already works. Its really wonderful, that you are doing easier to set up possibilities and the whole settings in AE work just like a charm. Really really great work, to be honest! However the mutliple output thing is not yet done (you state it as a thing to come). So please dont take that funktionality away from us Confused

My suggestion for this problem to stay newby friendly:
You might add all predefined interfaces in .asoundrc or asound.conf to the configuration menu. Like this new users do not get confused by a huge load of possible (partly not working) settings and experienced users still have access to all features provided before.

However, if you can spot a possibility how to use my settings now (or if I just made a dumb configuration mistake) please share your knowledge with me Nod

EDIT: The interesting thing is that the lines in the log above also appear when xbmc is started the first time with "normal" audiooutput chosen in the menu: "ALSA:hw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0". After having a look in the code, adding some debug outputs and recompiling it seems that the sinkName in SoftAE is always empty when xbmc starts. Thus the check at xbmc/cores/AudioEngine/Engines/SoftAE/SoftAE.cpp:277 always fails at startup. I did not get the big picture - so this might be a legit behaviour. However it seems a bit strange to me, since the message sounds like "There is a configuration error".
(2012-05-31, 17:42)d_hero Wrote: oh ok, well thanks for your help anyway, the new AE is great so far, especially now i can watch films again! Will have to delve in further to try and get my flacs working

(2012-05-31, 16:31)Fumo Wrote: Hi, just wondering when AE is inplemented in stable release-for linux mint(now running Eden). I'm a noob and don't know much about compiling my own xbmc ;-)

do you or have you used openelec?
http://openelec.tv/home/menu/what-is-openelec

AE Discussion Thread
http://openelec.tv/forum/68-audio/30233-...-over-hdmi

OpenELEC + XBMC_Master Nightly w/AE
http://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezz725y7xtm9rba/uUnw2UkMhh

The exact build I'm running right now
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ezz725y7xtm9r...02.tar.bz2
(2012-05-31, 18:50)Aenima99x Wrote:
(2012-05-27, 06:21)Aenima99x Wrote:
(2012-05-27, 01:01)DDDamian Wrote: I tried the sample file and it plays okay here - some glitches in the file encoding itself, visible in VLC too, but otherwise watchable. Turns out I did have a mono file here too, and it plays fine. I confirmed that AE is correctly upmixing the mono to stereo correctly.

I had a look thru your previous log, where you played an Abbott & Costello flick - one thing I noted was it was upconverting or transcoding to AC3. As a test, can you disable "Receiver supports AC3" in the Audio Output settings of XBMC and try again? Just want to see if that trancoding to AC3 is an issue.

Gave that a shot and it fixed the issue....

Not trying to bug you, just wanted to see if you had a chance to look at this. Thanks!

Patience - this is rather obscure (transcoding mono to AC3) - I have made a note on the to-do list.
(2012-05-31, 17:07)d_hero Wrote: yeah that is what i have set. ill try and post a log if thats ok?
ok heres the log:

http://pastebin.com/3SWSZwZL

its around line 940 that i start to play the file

I've had similar issues from time to time (I think I have that same Dire Straits SACD rip, unless you ripped it yourself). It's usually solved by closing XBMC, letting it stay closed for a couple of seconds then restarting it. Sometimes playing some other format that you know works (like MP3), then playing a FLAC file makes the audio work. Lately though I haven't had any of these issues (I recompile quite often).

(2012-05-31, 16:31)Fumo Wrote: Hi, just wondering when AE is inplemented in stable release-for linux mint(now running Eden). I'm a noob and don't know much about compiling my own xbmc ;-)

This really isn't the place to ask that. If you read the news page you'll see that AE will be included in the next stable release (ETA unknown I suppose). After that it's completely up to the Linux Mint maintainers to provide a package for it. Have a look at the wiki or the forum (I think there's a sticky for it) if you want to learn how to compile XBMC yourself. It really isn't very complicated at all.
(2012-05-31, 09:47)gastar Wrote: I had the a problem with ATI fglrx (catalyst 12.4) not providing the correct ELD data.
Instead of skipping the whole device I changed the code to continue and now there is SOUND again Laugh

Added the bug ticket + patch http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13075

Not sure if ALSA can handle this stuff always but for now better than no sound at all.

This is the same issue I am having. To work around it I compiled with PulseAudio enabled. I like your fix better since I hate PulseAudio.
(2012-06-01, 15:50)drivesoslow Wrote:
(2012-05-31, 09:47)gastar Wrote: I had the a problem with ATI fglrx (catalyst 12.4) not providing the correct ELD data.
Instead of skipping the whole device I changed the code to continue and now there is SOUND again Laugh

Added the bug ticket + patch http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/13075

Not sure if ALSA can handle this stuff always but for now better than no sound at all.

This is the same issue I am having. To work around it I compiled with PulseAudio enabled. I like your fix better since I hate PulseAudio.

Still having a weird issue with my hdmi not being detected. I know my ELD data is invalid but XBMC is logging a different error:

Code:
07:15:25 T:3036981568    INFO: CSoftAE::InternalOpenSink - sink incompatible, re-starting
07:15:25 T:3036981568    INFO: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - Attempting to open device
07:15:25 T:3036981568   ERROR: CAESinkALSA::Initialize - snd_pcm_open_lconf(-2) -
07:15:25 T:3036981568   ERROR: CAESinkOSS::Initialize - Failed to get supported formats, assuming

Full debug: http://pastebin.com/0gAAkFKq

I think it might be caused by this issue: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/987

Code:
amixer contents -c Generic
numid=1,iface=CARD,name='HDMI/DP,pcm=3 Jack'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=r-------,values=1
  : values=on
numid=7,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---RW-,values=2,min=0,max=255,step=0
  : values=219,173
  | dBscale-min=-51.00dB,step=0.20dB,mute=0
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Con Mask'
  ; type=IEC958,access=r-------,values=1
  : values=[AES0=0x0f AES1=0xff AES2=0x00 AES3=0x00]
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Pro Mask'
  ; type=IEC958,access=r-------,values=1
  : values=[AES0=0x0f AES1=0x00 AES2=0x00 AES3=0x00]
numid=4,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Default'
  ; type=IEC958,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=[AES0=0x04 AES1=0x82 AES2=0x00 AES3=0x02]
numid=5,iface=MIXER,name='IEC958 Playback Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
  : values=on
numid=6,iface=PCM,name='ELD',device=3
  ; type=BYTES,access=r-------,values=0
  : values=

Code:
aplay -L
null
    Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
hdmi:CARD=Generic,DEV=0
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Generic,DEV=3
    HD-Audio Generic, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions

Code:
aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Generic [HD-Audio Generic], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
@drivesoslow - yes, that pull request is aimed at some of the issues you're having. I expect it to be merged before June 10th. It's just waiting for review and the thumbs-up.
  • 19(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4