• 31(current)
Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-08-28, 15:31)wxc200 Wrote: <Wang Xingchao's HBR-patch, post 446>

Thanks to Wang Xingchao, I think this works, just compiled and set it up, briefly tested on TrueHD, DTS-MA.
I will test it more tomorrow.

This means HD audio now works on Intel.
Sounds like some good things are happening here on the Linux side. If there are patches that you guys feel should be included in mainline I would ask that the developer use GitHub to get them to us via a Pull Request.

I am continuing to develop under the Windows platform but don't have a Linux dev setup or test bed, so a Linux developer would be a welcome thing as gnif is taking a break from active development.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-08-30, 05:32)OkvOkv Wrote: This means HD audio now works on Intel.
I have also tried Xingchao's patches and I am also getting DTS-HD and TrueHD on my Intel setup. Now my HTPC/XBMC system is almost perfect. Great news, since this is the first time HBR audio is working on Linux with open source graphics drivers. This makes Intel a great choice for Linux-based HTPC systems.

(2012-08-30, 17:24)DDDamian Wrote: Sounds like some good things are happening here on the Linux side. If there are patches that you guys feel should be included in mainline I would ask that the developer use GitHub to get them to us via a Pull Request.
Well, these patches are Kernel/ALSA-patches. On the XBMC/AE-side everything has been fine when it comes to HBR audio. I think we can hope for these patches to make their way into Linux 3.7.

Regards,
direx
Main: CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K, GFX: AMD RX480 8GB OC, Debian Linux
HTPC: CPU: Intel Core i5-3475S, GFX: Intel HD4000, Gentoo Linux (Kernel 4-stable), Kodi with 4K@30Hz and HD audio, AVR: Denon X6300H with 7.1.4 setup, TV: Samsung UE55HU7590@SEK3500
Fun: Microsoft XBox, with XBMC :)
(2012-08-30, 21:21)direx Wrote:
(2012-08-30, 05:32)OkvOkv Wrote: This means HD audio now works on Intel.
I have also tried Xingchao's patches and I am also getting DTS-HD and TrueHD on my Intel setup. Now my HTPC/XBMC system is almost perfect. Great news, since this is the first time HBR audio is working on Linux with open source graphics drivers. This makes Intel a great choice for Linux-based HTPC systems.

(2012-08-30, 17:24)DDDamian Wrote: Sounds like some good things are happening here on the Linux side. If there are patches that you guys feel should be included in mainline I would ask that the developer use GitHub to get them to us via a Pull Request.
Well, these patches are Kernel/ALSA-patches. On the XBMC/AE-side everything has been fine when it comes to HBR audio. I think we can hope for these patches to make their way into Linux 3.7.

Regards,
direx

i'm curious if you get audio drops when using hd audio material. with my nvidia setup the audio cuts out every once in a while when bitstreaming truehd or dts-hd ma material. if it works flawlessly with intel now i might just have to do an upgrade Smile
I compiled today on two computers, one with Geforce GT520 graphics and HDMI out, and one with Geforce GTS250 graphics and spdif out from the mother board (Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 with Realtek ALC888 codec).

The computer with HDMI is connected to a HarmanKardon reciever and the computer with spdif out is connected to an older Yamaha reciever.

PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS play OK on both computers.

The core tracks in DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD play OK on the computer with spdif, but there are discontinuity errors.

DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD play with audio drops on the computer with HDMI. There are discontinuity errors, but some are combined with the ERROR "CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_wait)" or in some cases "CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_writei"
This sounds like an issue in the ALSA sink or ALSA setup - not seeing this on Windows platforms,
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
getting the same thing. running tail on the log while a video is playing results in this whenever there's a dropout:
Code:
12:25:26 T:2941213504   ERROR: CAESinkALSA::HandleError(snd_pcm_writei(1)) - underrun
12:25:28 T:2692754240   DEBUG: CDVDPlayerAudio:: Discontinuity - was:89695890.121000, should be:89654181.787667, error:-41708.333333

based on what i've seen the dropouts only occur when there's a sink underrun. if a discontinuity line pops up without the underrun the audio continues just fine.

that said i've just started reencoding my dts-hd tracks to flac and disabled truehd bitstreaming. it's far from an ideal solution but lpcm doesn't suffer any dropouts for me.
@furii

On my system with HDMI, I can change Audio output to Optical/Coax and DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD will play OK. I will of course only get the core tracks with DTS or Dolby Digital.
(2012-09-01, 10:03)P-I H Wrote: @furii

On my system with HDMI, I can change Audio output to Optical/Coax and DTS-HD MA and Dolby True HD will play OK. I will of course only get the core tracks with DTS or Dolby Digital.

you can get the same thing by disabling dts-hd/truehd capable receiver. i actually want the hd tracks though Smile
(2012-08-30, 05:32)OkvOkv Wrote:
(2012-08-28, 15:31)wxc200 Wrote: <Wang Xingchao's HBR-patch, post 446>

Thanks to Wang Xingchao, I think this works, just compiled and set it up, briefly tested on TrueHD, DTS-MA.
I will test it more tomorrow.

This means HD audio now works on Intel.

The credit also goes to XBMC member Anssi, who were really the biggest help for the Intel guys.
And all others who have been involved. This patch has a long history on this bug report: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=49055

And also on several emailing between Anssi, the Intel guys and me.

This is really a great win for the open source world.

Cheers,

Attila

Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
compiled today from source with --disable-pulse option there are no sound in menu with hdmi (nvidia gt 430)
everything else is working fine
Hi there... Can somebody please explain what i have to do to get the ALSA/KERNEL patches work? Step by Step? What kernelsources do i need, what alsa version and so on...
I don´t get DTSHD or DD/HD to work on Zotac Zbox ID81.

Sorry for my noobie question and my bad english. I am not so good in Linux Dev and i am not a native speaker ^^

Thanks for your help
I'm running Lubuntu 12.04 with an Intel Core i3 on a H55 motherboard that supports HD-audio bitstreaming. Movies with DTS-HDMA and Dolby TrueHD both output loud buzzing / static when played through my receiver (denon 1612). In addition, the receiver's light says it is receiving PCM. Here is the log: http://pastie.org/4659508

Anything I can do to help troubleshoot?
(2012-09-04, 03:14)tbenst Wrote: I'm running Lubuntu 12.04 with an Intel Core i3 on a H55 motherboard that supports HD-audio bitstreaming. Movies with DTS-HDMA and Dolby TrueHD both output loud buzzing / static when played through my receiver (denon 1612). In addition, the receiver's light says it is receiving PCM. Here is the log: http://pastie.org/4659508

Anything I can do to help troubleshoot?

Have you applied both patches from post #446?

I found on one of my test systems that with the ALSA Lib patch applied I had the same problem with buzzing / static when playing DTS-HD MA or Dolby True HD content. You might want to remove that patch and re-test.

I have read lots of posts on this thread and searched but it seems I have a problem different from what others are reporting here.

I was able to play Dolby Digital and DTS files right after installing the alpha version but noticed that the track timer runs at doublespeed. When the timer has nearly reached the track length audio output stops and XBMC moves on to the next track (still no sound). When selecting a new track manually, sound plays again with the same problem.

I'm using a first generation ION and the 2:11.9.6~git201209032026~8aaa44d-1~ppa1~oneiric daily build from nathan-renniewaldock ppa on a standard installation of Ubuntu 11.

I put details and logs in a ticket.
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4