Linux AudioEngine testers - Linux only
(2012-10-13, 13:44)krip Wrote:
(2012-10-11, 21:02)rat666 Wrote:
(2012-10-11, 08:43)krip Wrote: Hi Rat666,

I posted about a similar issue to yours (post #417 in this thread), but so far didnt receive any feedback.

My setup is fairly similar to yours: SPDIF from xbmc pc to rotel RSP1066 receiver. I also experience drop outs when playing -some- FLAC files. Reading your post made me wonder if the problematic files might be HDCD encoded but Im not sure how to tell (they seem to include some +/- db settings when comparing to flac files that work. Is this HDCD?).

I noticed I can play back the problematic files without dropouts if I switch the receiver from 2 channel stereo to 5 channel stereo. Maybe you can test this on your setup?

Hi Krip,

the dropouts occur only when the Rotel is switching between HDCD and PCM 2 CH, the came frome the Rotel.
i have no Dropouts during the Playback of a normal (non HDCD coded) Track, sometimes i have some little pops (like with a scratched cd in a cd player) and in some cases i noticed a distortion. it sounds a little like my old overdriven recorded Crome Tapes when i was 15 jears old.

Changing the Speaker from 5.1 to 2.0 has no effect in my Case.

i also had the RSP 1066 and it can decode HDCD like my 1069, so it should show HDCD in the Display when you stream a HDCD coded Flac.
If you need a HDCD Sample File, i can provide you one via my Dropbox.

I thing AE doesn´t give a bitidentical Stream to the Rotel. Without ReplayGain it is almost bitidentical (it seams to have only an "incorrect bit" every few seconds, that makes the Rotel change from HDCD to PCM). With ReplayGain enabled it never switches to HDCD and the Sound is different to the sound from my Oppo Player (to be honest, the oppo sounds clearly better then XBMC AE with SPDIF or HDMI when ReplayGain is enabled).

Hi Rat666,

With more testing I now confirm the same issue as you. My problematic flac files are all HDCD encoded. On the rotel rsp1066 switching to 5-channel stereo disables hdcd decoding as per the manual, and then hdcd encoded flacs play ok, but in 2 channel stereo mode they suffer dropout every few seconds.
i´ve done some tests with r12195 and im shure that the HDCD Problem has something to do with the Preamp Level Setting.
if Premap Level is set to 89db (gained and ungained) the Rotel switches between HDCD and PCM with ReplayGain on or Off, with another db setting the Rotel switches only when ReplayGain is set to off.

In my Eyes the ungained Preamp Level is a strange Setting witch is not necessary. Why can´t AE without ReplayGain simply let the Bitstream pass untouched to the HDMI or SPDIF/Toslink Port?

Messages In This Thread
Almost there, but still no HD - by OkvOkv - 2012-04-17, 03:54
AudioEngine testers - Linux only - by Ritzie - 2012-05-12, 18:36
RE: AudioEngine testers - Linux only - by rat666 - 2012-10-21, 00:00
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
AudioEngine testers - Linux only4