• 26(current)
Kodi/XBMC in the media? Post links here
Journalists don't care about the truth, they only care about what sells or generates views online.
(2017-03-12, 11:29)jjd-uk Wrote: Journalists don't care about the truth, they only care about what sells or generates views online.
And not libelling people who can afford to sue them.

Although I'd stick a 'Some' in front of your sentence.
I'd go for 'Most', nowadays Wink
I do find it amusing that anyone thinks the any paper part of the Mirror group is respectable.
(2017-03-12, 12:35)jjd-uk Wrote: I do find it amusing that anyone thinks the any paper part of the Mirror group is respectable.
Who dat?
Quote:Would these two journalists [knowingly] write a false statement?
Journalists can be wrong.

Anyway, what can the IPO do? Shut down google play store? Shut down worldwide mirrors of kodi downloads?

Just think about it.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
New UK ‘Kodi’ Piracy Blocking Injunction is a Pretty Scary Beast

https://torrentfreak.com/new-uk-kodi-pir...st-170314/
UK to block Kodi pirates in real-time: Saturday kick-off

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03/14...ing_order/

I note the usual "Kodi pirates", "Kodi-based services" confusion, which is unfortunate.

Corrections? Follow the link at the bottom of the article.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
Check out this headline from the Daily Express:

Kodi WARNING - Kodi users will be threatened with 10 YEARS in PRISON

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/scie...Ban-Prison
(2017-03-15, 13:22)lstar337 Wrote: Check out this headline from the Daily Express:

Kodi WARNING - Kodi users will be threatened with 10 YEARS in PRISON

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/scie...Ban-Prison
It's disgraceful that a national newspaper can even publish headlines like that which are clearly misleading & just plain wrong. I would hope Team Kodi contact them to have that amended, I suppose the headline "Bill could hand copyright trolls opportunity to threaten online users with prison sentences of up to 10 years" doesn't have the same sensationalist effect.
The Express is a British tabloid, they still post a story about Princess Diana still being alive every so often.

Really don't worry about it Wink
Perhaps the XBMC Foundation could sue some of those tabloids/publications for slander when they don't distinguish Kodi from piracy addons?

Could be a new type of income for the XBMC Foundation or winning a lawsuit might at least discourage others for posting lies about Kodi.
(2017-03-11, 18:12)jgmiller Wrote: Philip Dewe and Tom Davidson reporting for The Daily Post (Trinity Mirror Group) on March 11th, 2017 at <http://www.dailypost.co.UK/news/north-wa...e-12727160> state that
Quote:Kodi software itself is set to be banned by the Intellectual Property Office (IPO)
(The article is a cut'n'paste of the Daily Mirror article posted above. Newspapers in the UKofGB&N manufacture a decreasingly small number of original reports -- they just regurgitate and recycle articles from other newspapers.)

Does that mean that once it is banned, only criminals will be using Kodi?
Let's all think about submitting news-tips to these types of clickbait "journalists" and hint that both Google Chrome and Firefox web browser is now also set to be banned by the IPO in the UK. It would be fun to see if any of those "journalist" jump on that too and post even such lies without doing any fact checking at all, as they appearly usually don't check any facts.

One might otherwise want to write and suggest to them to speculate on how the IPO could ban people using Kodi's PVR features to legally to watch television in Kodi with a physical TV-tuner and antenna through a PVR backend (that is non-IPTV). Then the IPO would have to be able to block television signals to stand-alone TV-box appliance that uses physical TV-tuners and antennas.
Tabloids are tabloids. There is no possible redemption for those reading them Wink

That being said, and considering the increasing ratio of clickbaits / sponsored articles / clueless journalists vs actual news, we might as well close this thread, as far as I'm concerned.
(2017-03-15, 15:21)Koying Wrote: That being said, and considering the increasing ratio of clickbaits / sponsored articles / clueless journalists vs actual news, we might as well close this thread, as far as I'm concerned.
Unfortunately this thread is a reflection of the type of exposure Kodi gets in the media nowadays. 99% clickbait vs 1% actual news Smile
I just think it's sad.

I used to love telling people that I used Kodi and how great it was, but now I think I'll keep it to myself. I don't want people thinking I am doing illegal things.

"Kodi box" will soon be a dirty word, not to be uttered in front of people who don't also use one.
  • 26(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi/XBMC in the media? Post links here5