• 1(current)
Win HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
What is bitstreaming?
1. It is the process where the original audio stream is transmitted digitally in its original format (un-molested) to AVR for decoding. I’m going to concentrate on bitstreaming HD audio formats (DTS-HD master & Dolby TrueHD).

Hardware Requirements:
1. HTPC running Windows 7 or 8 with either an AMD APU, Intel i3 Clarkdale CPU, or HD bit streaming capable GPU (AMD HD5450 or Nvidia GT520)
2. A receiver that can decode DTS(MA) and TrueHD

HTPC:
1. Case: Apex MI-100
2. Mobo: ASRock A75M-ITX
3. CPU: AMD A6-3500
4. RAM: Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB)
5. SSD: Crucial M500 120GB SATA
6. BD-ROM: LG Black 12X BD-ROM
7. HDMI cables

AVR:
1. Onkyo HT-S3500 5.1-Channel Home Theater Speaker/Receiver Package
or
2. Onkyo TX-NR717 7.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver

Software:
1. Windows 7 or 8
2. AMD CCC Driver
3. XBMC Frodo 12.3

Setup:
1. Connects: HTPC-->AVR-->HDTV via HDMI cables (if there is an option, disable HDMI audio output to TV in AVR and set it to pass-thru video)
2. Install Windows 7 or 8
3. Install the latest "AMD CCC driver for AMD GPU/iGPU" or "Automatically identify and find drivers for Intel iGPU" (Note: if you run into problem with Realtek, you need to un-install it)
4. Enable DXVA2 with "Auto Detect" as Render Method and disable everything else in XBMC settings/video/playback (Note: if you are using Intel iGPU, you need to disable DXVA2 and select Software as Renderer Method)
5. Enable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen" in XBMC settings/system/video output (Note: if you encounter tearing issue, you need to disable "Use a fullscreen window rather than true fullscreen")
6. Select AMD HDMI audio output in Windows 7 control panel/hardware and sound/sound/playback (Note: if you are using Nvidia or Intel GPU, you need to select Nvidia or Intel HDMI output instead)
7. Follow step below to setup XBMC:
a. Configure XBMC audio output as shown below, and you must select WASAPI for Audio output device -

FYI- if you want to enjoy blu-ray disc original menus, extras, chapter, etc, you can configure XBMC external player using this guide- Another External Player Code, but Very Simple to Setup!

Note- If you encounter any difficulty, you can ask for help in this thread. I'll try my best to help you on it.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Awesome thread blu. Once i get my new avr by the end of this week. This will really help me. Thanks as always blu
blu is this ok. I had xbmc then i uninstalled it then installed HDAudio + Eden RC2? now i can see all the dts hd and truehd but cant try it yet until i get my new avr
(2012-05-29, 19:57)MrKay Wrote: blu is this ok. I had xbmc then i uninstalled it then installed HDAudio + Eden RC2? now i can see all the dts hd and truehd but cant try it yet until i get my new avr
Yes, that should work.......after you received your AVR, you will see all HD audio's list in Windows 7 control panel as shown below-

Thanks blu for the pics
Blu just got my new avr its the yamaha rx-a810 now i have sound. Thanks
(2012-06-07, 15:28)MrKay Wrote: Blu just got my new avr its the yamaha rx-a810 now i have sound. Thanks
I'm glad that you can enjoy bitstreaming HD audio now......Nod

I've only been able to get 5.1 audio with movies, but I verified that I can send signals to all 8 speakers independently using W7's built in speaker config screen, as well as verifying that my receiver sees all 8 speakers accordingly. However, the real problem could lie with the video encode I was using (even though MediaInfo shows it as having an 8 channel DTS audio stream). I thought I had 7.1 DTS-HDMA audio in it (DTS-HDMA lights came on on the receiver), but XBMC showed it as only outputting 5.1. So is there something I'm missing with this tutorial to get this working properly?
(2012-06-18, 07:09)espylacopa Wrote: I've only been able to get 5.1 audio with movies, but I verified that I can send signals to all 8 speakers independently using W7's built in speaker config screen, as well as verifying that my receiver sees all 8 speakers accordingly. However, the real problem could lie with the video encode I was using (even though MediaInfo shows it as having an 8 channel DTS audio stream). I thought I had 7.1 DTS-HDMA audio in it (DTS-HDMA lights came on on the receiver), but XBMC showed it as only outputting 5.1. So is there something I'm missing with this tutorial to get this working properly?
Did you select 7.1 in Windows 7 control panel and XBMC audio output?

(2012-06-18, 16:49)bluray Wrote:
(2012-06-18, 07:09)espylacopa Wrote: I've only been able to get 5.1 audio with movies, but I verified that I can send signals to all 8 speakers independently using W7's built in speaker config screen, as well as verifying that my receiver sees all 8 speakers accordingly. However, the real problem could lie with the video encode I was using (even though MediaInfo shows it as having an 8 channel DTS audio stream). I thought I had 7.1 DTS-HDMA audio in it (DTS-HDMA lights came on on the receiver), but XBMC showed it as only outputting 5.1. So is there something I'm missing with this tutorial to get this working properly?

Yes I did.

(2012-06-18, 18:18)espylacopa Wrote:
(2012-06-18, 16:49)bluray Wrote:

Yes I did.
Are you saying your AVR showed 7.1 and XBMC showed 5.1?
(2012-06-18, 20:10)bluray Wrote:
(2012-06-18, 18:18)espylacopa Wrote:
(2012-06-18, 16:49)bluray Wrote: Did you select 7.1 in Windows 7 control panel and XBMC audio output?

Yes I did.

I'm saying that I set Windows to 7.1. My AVR is able to do 7.1 audio. I tested that sound could be sent from my computer to all 8 speakers independently from windows through mt AVR. I also tested that all speakers were working via my AVRs own built in test settings. However, XBMC only showed 5.1 audio from a stream that was supposed to be 7.1. I set up XBMC just as you said, and I double and triple checked my settings. The 5.1 DTS-HDMA light lit up on my AVR, so I know I have the HD audio version of XBMC installed. I just don't know why I can't get 7.1 instead of 5.1.
(2012-06-18, 23:28)espylacopa Wrote:
(2012-06-18, 20:10)bluray Wrote:
(2012-06-18, 18:18)espylacopa Wrote: Yes I did.

I'm saying that I set Windows to 7.1. My AVR is able to do 7.1 audio. I tested that sound could be sent from my computer to all 8 speakers independently from windows through mt AVR. I also tested that all speakers were working via my AVRs own built in test settings. However, XBMC only showed 5.1 audio from a stream that was supposed to be 7.1. I set up XBMC just as you said, and I double and triple checked my settings. The 5.1 DTS-HDMA light lit up on my AVR, so I know I have the HD audio version of XBMC installed. I just don't know why I can't get 7.1 instead of 5.1.
Ok.....can you try to set it to 2.0 or 5.1 in XBMC audio output? We'll see what your AVR display......

I have the same issue with xbmc. DTS-HDMA 7.1 displays as only 5.1 within xbmc but my receiver displays and pushes out a 7.1 stream. I think it's an issue with DTS-HDMA 7.1 media flagging within xbmc because TrueHD 7.1 shows fine with proper media flags and all.
Display: LG OLED77C9 | A/V Receiver: Denon AVR-X4500H | 2019 Nvidia Shield Tv Pro | Apple TV 4K | 2017 Roku Ultra | HTPC | Game PC | PS5 
(2012-06-19, 00:24)blackreign66 Wrote:

I have the same issue with xbmc. DTS-HDMA 7.1 displays as only 5.1 within xbmc but my receiver displays and pushes out a 7.1 stream. I think it's an issue with DTS-HDMA 7.1 media flagging within xbmc because TrueHD 7.1 shows fine with proper media flags and all.

I'm thinking that this is the issue. It appears that under all settings (I tried various channel setups), XBMC will erroneously report that the stream is 5.1 rather than the 7.1 it is actually putting out. I verified this by playing a scene in the movie I was watching that was a high action scene, and would make use of all 8 speakers. Sure enough the back speakers were outputting sound.

Under all settings in XBMC, from 2.0 to 7.1, the DTS-HDMA lights popped on on my AVR. So I suppose this might be an issue with this not being a final release of the HD audio code for XBMC?

Either way, I'm glad I figured it out.
  • 1(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC8