unnecessary menu ... (?!)
I am running 11.0 beta 3 on an ATV2 with iOS 5.1. Things work fine so far.
One of the things that I do not like is the seemingly unnecessary menu item / button press when starting XBMC .
Clicking on the xbmc icon on the ATV2 main menu brings up a screen tittled XBMC with one item xbmc - clicking on that then starts xbmc - is there a way to get rid of that unnecessary menu?
Thanks,
alex
Yes, but I wouldn't recommended it, as a good majority of the people that use it end up doing something to XMBC that completely locks them out and doesn't actually boot XMBC. And since you bypass the normal ATV2 menu, you're left with SSH commands to fix it. Normally most of the people who post and request instructions on how to do this, end up posting again weeks later asking how to fix it and reverse the process.

It's not necessary to quit back to the ATV2 main menu every time you're done doing something on XBMC. Just leave XBMC running, and turn off the TV when you're done. The ATV2 uses very few resources when running, so it won't hurt anything. I hardly ever close out of XBMC, unless I'm wanting to use the MLB.tv or Netflix plugins from the ATV2 main menu.

If you insist on bypassing the menu, here's instructions: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...irect_boot
Fair warning - someone had posted that the tomcool direct booter didn't work on iOS5.1.
@crawl: I don't seem to have made my point clear:
I do _not_ want to boot directly into XBMC, as I also want to be able to jump around between Netflix and/or some TV shows I subscribed to on iTunes, etc. on the ATV2 level and other stuff (mainly add-ons like hulu+, etc.) I want to watch via XBMC.
I just want to avoid the unnecessary step/menu, when firing up XBMC from the ATV2 menu - I don't even see a reason, why these additional and seemingly redundant menu/screen is even there.

To make it very clear: when pressing the xbmc icon on my ATV2's iOS 5.1 springboard main menu, I am expecting to see the xbmc splash screen and then land in XBMC's home page (depending on skin). Instead I get confronted with an ATV2 'menu' titled XBMC with one entry - also called XBMC - to click on. This is the menu/screen that I want to get rid of.

Thanks and Cheers,
alex
I haven't seen a way to do what you asked. Partly because I don't think you can launch the apps from that Top Level Menu.

However, I have seen a way to move the XBMC app so that it is nestled under any of the other Top Level category.
Thanks for the answers but they are [still] not adressing my question - most likely because I cannot make my point clear.
Let's try some screen shots.
When I start XBMC from the ATV2's main screen

I get this following menu:

Why? And is there a way to skip this redundant menu?
Thanks and Cheers,
alex
Currently, no way to do this.
wait... how do you get that main screen with all the icons?
Ah, Sorry. My Bad. I was still thinking of the pre 5.1 interface.

How many ATV XBMC devs are running the new interface? That answer will help determine the likeliness of you getting a solution. Smile

Keep on hunting and let us know if you find a solution.
(2012-04-11, 21:53)dazex Wrote: Ah, Sorry. My Bad. I was still thinking of the pre 5.1 interface.
so is that the 5.1 new interface?

(2012-04-11, 22:11)sprazzi Wrote:
(2012-04-11, 21:53)dazex Wrote: Ah, Sorry. My Bad. I was still thinking of the pre 5.1 interface.

Spot on.
Set Up
Raspberry Pi running Raspbmc - XBMC 12.2
40" Samsung ES6800 LED Smart 3D 1080P TV
Onkyo HTS3405 5.1 DD True HD and DTS-HD Surround Sound
ReadyNAS Duo with 4TB (2 x 2TB X-RAID) Western Digital Caviar Green using NFS
(2012-04-11, 21:27)DLeavy Wrote: Currently, no way to do this.
"Currently" kind of implies that there will be a future possibility to bypass this menu - or am I misinterpreting your remark?

I wonder why this menu is there in the first place. It may not be a big issue if you mostly run XBMC on the ATV2 but if you switch back and forth between the ATV2/Lowtide and XBMC interfaces a lot, this gets annoying ...

Thanks and Cheers,
alex

(2012-04-11, 22:11)sprazzi Wrote:
On the Apple TV is shows as 5.0 (4099), but it's iOS 5.1 (thethered JB only, currently ...)
Nothing we can do about it. Thats the way the jailbreak/beigelib allows us to be started on ios5.1. Its out of our scope and might even be out of the jb hackers scope...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2012-04-11, 22:17)zwalex Wrote: On the Apple TV is shows as 5.0 (4099), but it's iOS 5.1 (thethered JB only, currently ...)

There are three screen of in. Press the center button to toggle between the three screens.

(2012-04-11, 22:35)Memphiz Wrote: Nothing we can do about it. Thats the way the jailbreak/beigelib allows us to be started on ios5.1. Its out of our scope and might even be out of the jb hackers scope...

I guess there's nothing at this point in time. We'll see what the future brings.

Finally found a hack for this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0DlpD6OEfE
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
unnecessary menu ... (?!)0