First time HTPC advice
Hi guys,

Hopefully I can get some help here deciding what to get for my first HTPC. Currently I'm running XBMC off my laptop w/ android remote, and I'm looking to upgrade to a dedicated machine that I’ll use only for XBMC.

I’ve read through a lot of threads and learned a lot, but it’s all become very confusing and it seems to be very confusing and/or outdated.

Let me start with what I want from my HTPC. I’m looking at a group 4 or 5 machine. Right now I just play movies over HDMI, but I don’t want to buy a machine and then decide that I want to start streaming Neflix, so I’d like the hardware to be suitable in case I want to go that route in the future. I don’t need or want a blu-ray player, as I already have one. Also the quieter the machine/lower power required, the better (naturally).

I do want to be able to turn the computer on and off via remote, or at least be able to put the computer to sleep/wake via remote. The more seamless that process is, the better. The discussion thread on this is ridiculously confusing and I don’t want one of the options involving self-modding a case or anything like that.

Should I go Windows? OpenELEC? XBMC Live? I’ve only ever used XBMC on my laptop running windows, but this machine will only be used to play media from an attached external drive.

I’d prefer not to build a custom machine, because I’m not that well versed in computer building, don’t have a ton of time to devote to learning, and frankly I like the form factor of a lot of nettops available.

Needs checklist:
Play 720p/1080p from external HD via HDMI
Turn on/off via remote easily & seamlessly
Or
Sleep/wake via remote if that’s much easier
Low power consumption
Quiet
Possible future Netflix HD streaming
Pre-built machine preferred
I don’t mind replacing a hard drive with a SSD or adding more ram, as long as the starting machine isn’t ridiculously expensive to begin with.

Don’t need:
HD audio
Wifi streaming
Gaming
Internet surfing
3D capability

Thanks for any help

PS: Does anyone have any experience with the Pulse USB-CEC adapter? (http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx). Is it worth possibly buying?
This one "Shop IdeaCentre Q180" seems to fit your description.....it's fully equipped and ready for XBMC out of the box.
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-04-11, 22:18)bluray Wrote: This one "Shop IdeaCentre Q180" seems to fit your description.....it's fully equipped and ready for XBMC out of the box.

It looks pretty good, but do you know how it would handle power on/off via remote?

Also do you have any recommendations as far as the OS goes?
if u go with the "Shop IdeaCentre Q180"
dont use Linux...
stick to windows7
(2012-04-11, 21:21)rs235251 Wrote: PS: Does anyone have any experience with the Pulse USB-CEC adapter? (http://www.pulse-eight.com/store/product...apter.aspx). Is it worth possibly buying?

I would say it is, but then I am slightly biased Smile
>Possible future Netflix HD streaming

If this really is in your future then an Atom or Zacate based system is not what you want. Even the latest Atom D2700 does not handle Netflix HD (I tested this myself).

This mini HTPC case supports on/off with remote: http://www.ecosmartpc.com/ht80.html

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
First time HTPC advice0