Ordered New HTPC
Okay everyone I just put through my order on Newegg for my HTPC. Here are the specs below. Let me know what you all think and some advise if you have it.

- OCZ Agility 3 AGT3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
- Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C9D3B1/4G
- AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6550D
- SILVERSTONE Black Aluminum skin reinforced plastic front panel, 0.8mm SECC body MILO Series ML03B Micro ATX Media Center
- Rosewill Stallion Series RD400-2-SB 400W ATX V2.2 Power Supply
- ASRock A75M FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

spec wise, seems good
Nice
Excellent choice!

For memory, it is better with 2 sticks than a single stick. This one "Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB)" is listed in AsRock memory support list.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
cant go wrong with KINGston
(2012-04-14, 19:02)bluray Wrote: Excellent choice!

For memory, it is better with 2 sticks than a single stick. This one "Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB)" is listed in AsRock memory support list.....

dang wish i would have known that. i already put my order through. maybe i will just need to get more RAM in the future.
it'll be fine littlepooch21 dont worry
okay so i got everything in yesterday and put it all together. the cpu fan seems a little loud. my temps are around 45-50. Are these temps normal? what can i do to help it out?
Be sure the CPU fan is not set to 100%. There should be a setting for it in the BIOS.
Oh, and the performance difference for HTPC use between 1 stick and 2 sticks of RAM is maybe 5% -- something you will never notice
(2012-04-19, 17:36)littlepooch21 Wrote: okay so i got everything in yesterday and put it all together. the cpu fan seems a little loud. my temps are around 45-50. Are these temps normal? what can i do to help it out?
The temperature is fine.....since you're using AsRock mobo, you can set CPU to "Cool ‘n’ Quiet" in AsRock Bios Advance tab and set the CPU operating temperature to 50 degrees in Bios Hardware/Health Monitor tab....and you can set both CPU and case fans to level 5.......it'll be very quiet.

If you want to bootup faster, you can try AsRock instant bootup option- Instant Boot ver:1.29. You'll be surprise by how quick it bootup.....

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Well 45-50C isn't THAT bad..granted its not amazing but also what's the temperature in the room and in the ML03B you add any fans? If not it sounds about right. Some options you have to both decrease temps and decrease noise are to buy a after market CPU cooler this one seems to be the go to here. Another thing you can do is buy 1-2 80mm fans that are silent (you can look at eskro's HTPC beginners guide for recommendations).
(2012-04-19, 17:46)bluray Wrote:
(2012-04-19, 17:36)littlepooch21 Wrote: okay so i got everything in yesterday and put it all together. the cpu fan seems a little loud. my temps are around 45-50. Are these temps normal? what can i do to help it out?
The temperature is fine.....since you're using AsRock mobo, you can set CPU to "Cool ‘n’ Quiet" in AsRock Bios Advance tab and set the CPU operating temperature to 50 degrees in Bios Hardware/Health Monitor tab....and you can set both CPU and case fans to level 5.......it'll be very quiet.

If you want to bootup faster, you can try AsRock instant bootup option- Instant Boot ver:1.29. You'll be surprise by how quick it bootup.....

right now i only have the cpu fan installed. should i get a 2nd fan to put in there? if so what would you recommend?
nope
(2012-04-19, 18:09)eskro Wrote: nope

okay how would i get it quieter then?
whats your noisy part?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ordered New HTPC0