Using Asrock Smart Remote with XBMC
(2012-04-22, 13:50)trpltongue Wrote: I don't have any driver conflicts, it just doesn't work. So, I downloaded eventghost to see if it was even registering anything. Of course ,as you'd expect eskro was exactly right.

The USB receiver is crap. It wouldn't work at all from 3-4 ft away

yeah its really a bad product... sad to see...
but if your looking for just using it for Powering ON your HTPC from a total OFF state,
then, i guess it could be useful.

but you'd need to use FLIRC dongle or another remote package to actually control XBMC.
I took it apart last night no problem, as stated. There are 2 typical IR receivers and 1 small square receiver on front. I tried everything you can imagine and the range did not increase. I tried covering 2 of the 3 receivers in electrical tape, aiming at every angle, you name it and it didn't help squat. As I mentioned though, it works fine from 20' away to wake the computer. I think I'm going to try to RMA it with Asus if at all possible. Right now it's just a waste of 20 Euro.

The wake from S5 is nice, but my motherboard can do the same with any keyboard press and it keeps the usb ports active. Right now I use my RF keyboard with USB RF device to wake the computer from S5 and I imagine I can do the same with any USB IR device. So if the RMA doesn't work out I'm going to try to get my money back and try to find an HP receiver or inteset cir instead. At this point I think I'd prefer a USB receiver just so I don't have to worry about which front USB port is active vs. IR only.

The irony is that I have an actisys IR device and IRman but they are both com port devices and I don't have any com ports on my motherboard Sad
which board u have?
I have the Asrock H67m-itx board.
Wow, that sucks. I was just looking into purchasing one of these because I can't get my 350M1 board to wake up to my current remote. Perhaps I'll have to look elsewhere if it's junk and has no range.
I can definitely confirm it has no range. I honestly don't know how they can justify selling the item as it clearly does NOT work? Perhaps they just have really bad quality control and I got a bad unit. I will post back when (if) I get my RMA and let everyone know how it goes.
Apparently they changed their policy about separating the CIR and the remote. I emailed them this morning inquiring about purchasing the CIR only and got this response. This was before I found out that the range was garbage and I should pursue a different avenue.

ASRock Tech Support Wrote:Hi Nathan,

Sorry, the remote and receiver must be match as pair. So it sold as $ 30 per kits, including the shipping.

Thank you

ASRock America Support Team
eMaiL ==> [email protected]

he's the one that told me it can be sold separately..
Got my RMA back, unfortunately they sent me back an ASRock Game Blaster cardHuh Sent them an email and we will see what happens next.
steved1961
wow, they s**k :/
Thier return email said after they sent FedEx out to pick up the ASRock Game Blaster (I had to be home between 8am and 5pm) and ASRock checked the returned package, they would send out my ASRock Smart Remote. I told them to keep the remote. My first and last ASRock purchase.
steved1961
jeez.... cant believe this.... this truly sooks.... sorry steve :/
Adesso 1100 MCE + ASRock H67M-ITX!!

FTW!!!

Y bother to investigate anything else...
(2012-04-28, 03:20)CpTHOOK Wrote: Adesso 1100 MCE + ASRock H67M-ITX!!

FTW!!!

Y bother to investigate anything else...

...'cause it's ugly as f**k!!!
I've actually had quite a few emails back from asrock europe about my non-working remote. Nothing too helpful though. Their best advice was to do a clean widows install then try again. I just don't have the spare time to go to that extreme for a remote that is clearly going to be problematic if I ever did get it working.
Think I'll go with the strescom one and drill a hole in my nice new Lian li case.
(2012-04-28, 03:26)filthycatbox Wrote: ...'cause it's ugly as f**k!!!

lol.... it"s not a piece of azz my friend it's a remote that works!! But to each his own, keep going through the HA with that BS remote your trying to get working while I'm HTPC'n!!Nod

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Using Asrock Smart Remote with XBMC0