XBMC crashing with nvidia error, but using Radeon card.
Brand new system running Linux Mint 12. I installed XBMC using the directions from the Noobslab.com site, which is basically the following commands:
Code:
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53319850/NoobsLab.com/xbmc-linux_mint_12.sh
chmod +x xbmc-linux_mint_12.sh
./xbmc-linux_mint_12.sh

I'm still in the process of moving my media to the new machine, so I am not ready to start using XBMC yet. However, I wanted to try it out to see how it works. Unfortunately, any time I try playing a video, XBMC crashes. I ran it from terminal and received the following error:

Code:
there is no soundcard
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
libva: libva version 0.32.0
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/jim/xbmc_crashlog-20120415_053125.log

I don't have a soundcard currently, but I will by the time the system is going live. That couldn't be the reason the video crashes, could it? I noticed the bit about VDPAU and nvidia because I'm not using Nvidia, and am instead using an AMD Radeon HD6450 (with proprietary Catalyst driver). I'm not super techy, but from my googling I'm thinking the build that was downloaded when I followed the above install directions was maybe compiled for use with Nvidia cards, and to get it to work on my system, I'd have to rebuild it using VAAPI. Does that sound right or am I just nuking it out? If that is the case, then how do I actually go about rebuilding it correctly?
(2012-04-15, 00:05)jimdanger Wrote: Brand new system running Linux Mint 12. I installed XBMC using the directions from the Noobslab.com site, which is basically the following commands:
Code:
wget http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53319850/NoobsLab.com/xbmc-linux_mint_12.sh
chmod +x xbmc-linux_mint_12.sh
./xbmc-linux_mint_12.sh

I'm still in the process of moving my media to the new machine, so I am not ready to start using XBMC yet. However, I wanted to try it out to see how it works. Unfortunately, any time I try playing a video, XBMC crashes. I ran it from terminal and received the following error:

Code:
there is no soundcard
Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/jim/xbmc_crashlog-20120415_053125.log

I don't have a soundcard currently, but I will by the time the system is going live. That couldn't be the reason the video crashes, could it? I noticed the bit about VDPAU and nvidia because I'm not using Nvidia, and am instead using an AMD Radeon HD6450 (with proprietary Catalyst driver). I'm not super techy, but from my googling I'm thinking the build that was downloaded when I followed the above install directions was maybe compiled for use with Nvidia cards, and to get it to work on my system, I'd have to rebuild it using VAAPI. Does that sound right or am I just nuking it out? If that is the case, then how do I actually go about rebuilding it correctly?

Are all the VDPAU options turned off in settings?
(2012-04-15, 00:57)giftie Wrote: Are all the VDPAU options turned off in settings?

I disabled the use VDPAU option and tried playing video again. It crashed ago, but with a different error message:
Code:
there is no soundcard
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/jim/xbmc_crashlog-20120415_070741.log

The full crashlog can be seen at http://pastebin.com/HFpaGeii

I then also disabled VAAPI and tried playing video...it worked. Since I have no real idea what of those are, how important is it to have either of them enabled? Am I looking at poor video playback without them? If so, what are my options?
(2012-04-15, 01:15)jimdanger Wrote:
(2012-04-15, 00:57)giftie Wrote: Are all the VDPAU options turned off in settings?

I disabled the use VDPAU option and tried playing video again. It crashed ago, but with a different error message:
Code:
there is no soundcard
Aborted (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/jim/xbmc_crashlog-20120415_070741.log

The full crashlog can be seen at http://pastebin.com/HFpaGeii

I then also disabled VAAPI and tried playing video...it worked. Since I have no real idea what of those are, how important is it to have either of them enabled? Am I looking at poor video playback without them? If so, what are my options?

My guess is that it is crashing due to a problem with your video driver. Disabling VAAPI disables the GPU Acceleration. VAAPI is a general Video Acceleration, VDPAU is strictly a NVidia Video Acceleration.
(2012-04-15, 02:08)giftie Wrote: My guess is that it is crashing due to a problem with your video driver. Disabling VAAPI disables the GPU Acceleration. VAAPI is a general Video Acceleration, VDPAU is strictly a NVidia Video Acceleration.

Ok, any recommendation on what I can do? I already had the official Catalyst driver installed. When I go into the control panel for Catalyst, everything appears to be OK.
for vaapi on AMD you need the libva wrapper driver, which is basically broken and not developed anymore for several months now.

I suggest you try the xvba branch, the ubuntu ppa should work on mint afaik.
Alright, so this message thread is fairly old but I'm going to give it a try anyways. I have installed the proper drivers for my ATI Radeon 4200 (`fglrx-legacy`) and everything except for XBMC works just fine. I receive the `Failed to open VDPAU backend libvdpau_nvidia.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory` error message. Any suggestions? Would be much appreciated.
Disable vdpau.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC crashing with nvidia error, but using Radeon card.0