[LINUX] Audio CD - playback "pauses" before end
I've got a problem playing audio CDs using XBMC - every song played back direct from CD will "pause" for a few seconds near the end of the song, then continue to play to the end.

Watching the CD drive, during playback the drive is accessed every few seconds until about 30 seconds before the end of the song, then CD access stops. The song will continue to play, then just before the end playback is interrupted - the drive will spin up again and playback resumes. It's like the song gets buffered during playback, but not quite to the end and then the data "runs out".

I've tried using 4 different IDE DVD drives, and 1 SATA DVD drive. The problem remains the same, althought the length of the pause varies - possibly because some drives start up again faster than others.

I'm running XBMC 10.1 installed from the live CD on a Mythbuntu 10.04 backend only installation.

Everything else seems to work well so far - no problems playing back audio files from the hard drive, DVDs etc. - just audio CDs.

I've searched the forums and Googled, but not found other reports of this problem.

If I exit XBMC back to Xbuntu, the CD plays back fine.

I'm still new to Linux & don't know where to start to look, or how to get logs etc, but I can learn ...

If anyone can help me fix this I'd appreciate it!

Edit: OOPS, I meant to put this in the Linux sub-forum.
OK, 2 weeks now and not a single reply. Just to add a bit more info on this, I've also tried booting off a "Live" disk on 2 different PCs (so that takes the Mythbuntu backend installation out of the equation) and the problem remains.

Am I really the only one who has this problem? If anyone could please try to play back a few tracks off an audio CD and post back to confirm if it's OK or not ...

Thanks!
Could be the drive?

I'd test if I had a working optical drive.
(2012-03-25, 01:06)Ned Scott Wrote: Could be the drive?

I'd test if I had a working optical drive.

I don't think so, as I have tried 4 different PATA & 1 SATA drive. And it also happens booting off the "Live" CD on another PC.

Any other ideas?
I do have this problem also and you may be the only other person I've heard of it happening on. I don't judge it to be a hardware issue. It doesn't happen if played by other software...

Most of the music I play is ripped, so of course I don't run into this problem as much. However, my ripped audio usually misses the first 0.5 second of each track also. Apart from that, XBMC works great for me.... Smile

I am also running mythbuntu (currently 10.04 but have had this issue from back to 9.04)

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM motherboard. Running digital via optical.

Would be interested to know what are are our common hardware or software settings to narrow down this issue.

Thanks
Thanks jonnybignote, I thought this thread was just going to quietly die away ...

Like I said, I have tried this on different hardware. Initially installed on a ASUS P5GZ-MX using SP/DIF out, but also on the same machine running the live disk, as well as running the live disk on 2 other machines. Same problem. I started to have a boot up issue with the ASUS board so I have just replaced it with a Gigabyte GA-EG31M-S2 and took the opportunity to upgrade to the latest XBMC (Eden - 11.0) running on Lubuntu. I installed it straight off the disk image and the CD playback problem is the same.

I really do think the problem is the actual player software (PA Player?) as it happens using too many different bits of hardware. I guess most people just rip their music and don't notice but a "Media Centre" should be able to play back CDs ...

I don't really know what other information to provide, or if I should try to report a bug (I'd have to figure out how).

Again, if others could please test their systems for CD playback - the problem happens about 30 seconds before the end of each song - and just post if it works or not.

Thanks.
I get this aswell, but with my ripped flac files (no cd drive on my htpc) had it with dharma, and now with eden. Just a split second pause, before the end. Maybe its loading the next song? i dont know, could never find a fix. Doesnt happen every song, just now and again. Acer Revo - TV - Amp, although i think its a software issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[LINUX] Audio CD - playback "pauses" before end0