Home network server
I just wired my house for cat 6, I moved out of an apartment, so I had an htpc computer form xbmc. Now I want to purchase NAS and switches to get those contents to other rooms in my house. This is where I get confused, should I buy a nuc for every room, if not how do I get my contents to play on the tvs in each room? Remember storage is the NAS. I still have the htpc computer, but when I lived in an apartment it stayed on most of the time so now im creating centuralized location, id like some low power consumption.
Yes you need an htpc for every tv. It can be a nuc, it can be something else.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Amazon Fire make great clients, and you can velcro them to the back of the tv
Teegray1124

So in each room where you want to view your stuff stored in the Nas, you will need something generating a HDMI signal for the tv and allowing you to access the files. Given that this is the XBMC forum, we assume you want that "thing" to XBMC. But the hardware running XBMC can take many different forms. When Nickr says "htpc" in his reply above, I think he is using the term a bit generically. You can run XBMC on a RaspberryPi, on an android based tv box, on a windows or linux based htpc, and probably on other hardware too.

The key question is how much you want to spend and what functionality really matters in each room. Like Mr markfr says, the Amazon fire tv runs XBMC surpsingly well. Many here think the Chromebox is a great solution for XBMC. There are a lot of Android boxes available and some work okay. Or you could build dedicated htpcs yourself, perhaps pressing old hardware into actions as XBMC is not that CPU hungry.

Just FYI, all my stuff is stored on a QNAP nas, and in the various rooms in my house I have a couple of htpcs I specced and built myself, and a couple of android boxes and an Amazon fire tv.

Just one final to think about. You can distribute HDMI signals around the home over cat5/6, but the cheaper solutions for doing this typically wont allow you to share the cat 5/6 cabling with your network, and they do have issues of their own. But under this approach, you would only need one piece of hardware running XBMC which you would need to control remotely (using an IPad, for example) but would then distribute that signal to multiple rooms. This would mean you can't be watching two different movies, for example, using XBMC in different rooms. But this approach can have some advantages compared to having separate instances of XBMC running in each room.
Thanks for the response I definitely want to run everything hard wired cause at My apt for some reason running things wirelessly on a ouya/apple TV has a unbearable buffering on 1080p. One more questions I have seen some peoples builds for there home network why do they need separate servers and a nas?
(2014-12-14, 05:15)teegray1124 Wrote: One more questions I have seen some peoples builds for there home network why do they need separate servers and a nas?

You don't need a server and a NAS, one or the other is fine.
"PPC is too slow, your CPU has no balls to handle HD content." ~ Davilla
"Maybe it's a toaster. Who knows, but it has nothing to do with us." ~ Ned Scott
Lots of options here on the post I have just finished:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=...pid1860912

(2014-12-14, 05:15)teegray1124 Wrote: One more questions I have seen some peoples builds for there home network why do they need separate servers and a nas?

You could have all-in-one (file/media/DLNA server + client software (itunes, xmbc, WMP, etc) on the same machine, if you want to. There are pros and cons, it all depends on your needs and budget. I recommend the separation. Why? Whatever your choice to run XBMC might be (FTV, NUC, Chromebox, etc), chances are you will want to upgrade it sooner than later.
A NAS, if you get the right one, will be a while once it is setup, before you make any changes to it.

I currently have a WD My Book Live and love it. This machine is my: backup server for PCs/Tablets/phones; torrent client, ssh/scp/sftp server, media server via shares and DLNA server.

Also read this post: Poofyhairguy's HTPC Recommendation Thread
AFTV (non-rooted + Kodi)
WD My Book Live NAS
have you considered this?
http://www.vboxcomm.com/uk-freeview-and-freesat.html
If this is just for XBMC then my suggestion would be.

A large capacity NAS device that could almost be free by using any old desktop with ubuntu on it.

and

Something like a Fire stick or ChromeBox in each room.

Easy and cheap

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Home network server0