Best remote for XBMC?
Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid..

Works very nicely for me.
I've been tempted to check that put, the MOTO remote. Worth the money? What buttons work with computer vs what buttons are ir only? How many devices can it control?
will always be grateful for XBMC and XBMC.ORG
I'm resisting buying a remote as I've found the Yatse android app can do everything I need apart from getting into BIOS at boot, it even displays movie info and art on the device. I've always got either my phone or Nexus 7 next to me so it seems daft to add to the clutter.

Yatse
Yatse is only for you, remote it's for everyone you live with. Or maybe you have your phone only for this task? It's still not good, you must unlock it, charge it every day etc

Yatse is only for you, remote it's for everyone you live with. Or maybe you have your phone only for this task? It's still not good, you must unlock it, charge it every day etc
(2013-02-11, 19:14)Abrasher Wrote: I've been tempted to check that put, the MOTO remote. Worth the money? What buttons work with computer vs what buttons are ir only? How many devices can it control?

All the buttons work. Only one IR device can be controlled. The button in the top left switches between IR/RF mode and can learn IR commands from other remotes.
(2013-02-12, 11:05)Marx1 Wrote: Yatse is only for you, remote it's for everyone you live with. Or maybe you have your phone only for this task? It's still not good, you must unlock it, charge it every day etc

I have it installed on 2 Android devices (I can easily put it on my wife's phone as well if she wants) and the Nexus 7 tablet is pretty much always on the sofa for anyone to use.

Anyone who has an android device will be putting it on charge most days, it becomes a habit!

I agree if you don't have a tablet in the house it would be a bit selfish to take the only remote away every day! But if you do it's a great app with more functionality than any remote.
I've got the Harmony 650 and just love it. If you watch the pricing on Amazon they can be had for $40-$50 which isn't half bad IMO for a backlit remote with lcd feedback that's fully customizable and can control 5 devices. Little bit of fooling around to get it set up just right but there's good guides out there and if you use the software rather than the website to program it's better. The remote has been dropped numerous times too and it's still going strong. I'm using an HP MCE IR receiver with it, setup was for that was as easy as plugging it in.

Additionally with the Harmony while it does 5 devices you can sort of utilize more depending on what you're doing. I don't have a device spot left over for my Xbox but I have an activity that switches the video and sound over to Xbox, allows volume control then from there I have to grab a controller to navigate within the Xbox, but I have to get up to put a game in anyways so no big deal.

I'm using a Logitech K400 for a keyboard when I need to get into windows or do setup stuff. It works great too, I can get into bios with it, it's a little flimsy feeling but it's small and light too. Trackpad works good. Not backlit but it's a secondary control device, with everything setup right I rarely need it. I've got android and ios devices with xbmc apps too and they work really well also, with the exception of a lack of tactile feedback on the touchscreen so you always have to look at it.

I realize the Harmony setups aren't as cheap as some of the other stuff out there but as far as ease of use with it configured properly I could have a non-technical type guest over, hand them one remote and they could figure out how to watch regular tv, play something in xbmc or whatever.
Photo 
I've been using SPEEDLINK SL-6399 (old model) for many years and it simply worked out-of-the-box.

It was reasonably priced at the time and it toggles between mouse/keyboard functions when needed by a single button (MORE key).
I only use the top common playback/directional buttons though but it has been quite enough for me.

EDIT: actually I do it all, I recalled: I launch xbmc using mouse mode and shut it down directly with the remote on/off button, or select "shutdown system" in main menu.
EDIT #2: hi10p files causing all kinds of commotion because of performance issues, I altered keyboard.xml to assign an unused remote's button to CodecInfo OSD function and be in the know about it.

HTPC: core 2 quad 2.66GHz, ATI 5670 1GB, 4GB DDR2 RAM, Win7x64, full hd 23" monitor/tv via 1.3 hdmi, coaxial spdif output for yamaha amplifier rx-v359 (5.1).
Long time lurker here so thanks for all the info I've had so far.

I'm looking for a replacement of my apple tv 2 running xbmc so have most of the parts to build a htpc. One thing I'm researching is controlling xbmc on a htpc with a ir remote. I use a harmony one to control everything and I want to control the htpc with this.

2 questions

1. Can anyone recommend a ir receiver that will work with the harmony and xbmc??
2. How can I set it up so the pc can be powered on and off with the remote and boot straight into xbmc??

As you can see I want to use the htpc exactly the same as the apple tv 2 but with the benefits of it running on windows rather ios.
I'm seriously thinking about the NYXBoard, but I have a question. Can you configure the volume buttons to control an AVR?
(2013-02-05, 13:33)lem000 Wrote: Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid..

Works very nicely for me.

+1
I am a noob to XBMC and after my first build I couldn't be happier with this remote. I did not have to do any installing what- so-ever. Right out of the box, it controlled XBMC perfectly and even powered down HTPC into sleep mode with no configuring and powers back on.. Very easy to clone your other remotes too.
This one works extremely well for my atv2 running xbmc. it's IR only, but it can learn any ir command. works with atv out of the box.

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Research-...rch+remote
(2013-03-03, 01:32)Toricred Wrote: I'm seriously thinking about the NYXBoard, but I have a question. Can you configure the volume buttons to control an AVR?

Yes there is a button in the upper left of the remote for mc/tv and I use xbmc in mc mode and when I want to adjust volume in go to TV mode.

My only issue and I don't know if anyone else has this but on boot up or rebooting, the nyxboard is not seen unless I unplug and replug the USB dongle on. Otherwise love it.
Server: Synology Diskstation 1511+ with 8x WD Red NAS 3TB drives, DSM 5.2
Main HTPC: Home Built i3, 8GB RAM, Corsair 128GB SSD, nVidia 630GTX, Harmony Home Control, Pioneer VSX-53, Panasonic VT30 65" 3D TV, Windows 10, Isengard
Bedroom HTPC: Zotac-ID 41 8GB RAM, 128GB SSD, Rii micro keyboard remote, Samsung HW-E550, Sony 32" Google TV, OpenElec 6.0 beta 4
Quick question, if I was to release the remote on my kickstarter as a remote only and provide keymap files for window, mac, linux, rasberry pi, android etc is that something the community would be interested in??

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qubi...ade-simple
Founder of the Qubi Console

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best remote for XBMC?0