Cheapest best XBMC box available for 1080p and fluid browsing?
If you have an old junker PC lying around just download Openelec and install it on the computer. why would buy or use windows 7 OS?
Openelec is a minimal Linux OS only geared to run XMBC.. and its also free
Hey man, i dont know if u still need it, but i have a RasPi, model B rev 2 [512MB ram, eth + 2 Usb] and I bought a ATV1 and BCHD today, I'm just waiting the mail man deliver it to me. So if u want, i could make a record and upload on youtube for u, compare or playing Hi10P anime, I'm Brazilian so dont mind if u dont understand the subs, I guess the only anime i have Hi10P is Accel World, and sometimes it has pretty fast scenes... IMO RasPi, is an amazing piece of hardware, but it could be better, like 1GHZ ARM processor and 1GB DDR3 RAM, the experience with XBMC, i use XBIAN, is fine to me, it has some lags, but nothing anoying, boots fast (about 1 minute and half) u can leave it on always, since its power friendly, supports CEC out of the box so ur parents can keep with only one remote control, 1080P works perfectly, i play everything trought SMB LAN 100 mbps, i have the licences, and waiting for the DTS licence to be available, My ONLY problem is with a 20GiB movie that stutters with 7.1 passtrough DTS audio, and i think the licence could fix it. When i first tryed Hi10P files it was with Accel World [720p] on XBMC Eden [v11], and it played, period, but the image wasnt so good, it could be so much better, like in my laptop. It was indeed HD, but had problems with picture quality due to the low GPU decoder.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Hi10P won't work on ATV1 + BCHD. There are no hardware video decoders for Hi10P, so it requires raw CPU power.
My HTPC was $75. Four year old office pc from eBay. Plays 1080p and Aeon Nox is smooth.
(2013-03-28, 06:20)locoguano Wrote: My HTPC was $75. Four year old office pc from eBay. Plays 1080p and Aeon Nox is smooth.

can u tell us the specs?

(2013-03-28, 05:51)Ned Scott Wrote: Hi10P won't work on ATV1 + BCHD. There are no hardware video decoders for Hi10P, so it requires raw CPU power.

For sure? Even the 720p Hi10P will not play on ATV1?

[Brazilian here, sorry for my poor knowledge of your language.]
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
For sure. Hi10P needs raw CPU power, and the ATV1's CPU can only play some basic 720 content as it is, let alone the more demanding Hi10P. I also have two ATV1s with BCHD chips, and a ton of anime :)
(2013-03-30, 19:24)Ned Scott Wrote: For sure. Hi10P needs raw CPU power, and the ATV1's CPU can only play some basic 720 content as it is, let alone the more demanding Hi10P. I also have two ATV1s with BCHD chips, and a ton of anime Smile

That's bad news for me, cause I was willing to left the RasPi [wich can play some Hi10P files] for the secondary tv and use the ATV1 as my mainly media center. Well, I guess I'll have to keep both on main tv room along with x360 and ps3, [4 hdmi for a 2 hdmi tv]. There is any device that can run XBMC and ALL kinds of files, even the Hi10P 1080P files [That doesnt cost more than $100 USD ]?

I dont watch too much anime, I have more movies[309+] and tv shows[41+] than animes[35+], but when I want to watch an anime, I wanna have the FULL experience.

Anyone know a way to hookup 2 Raspberry Pi to decode Hi10P files and show on TV through XBMC? Is this possible without overclocking the Pi?
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
You won't get any Hi10P playback with sub $100 devices... accept that. Your best bet sgould be getting somwthing based on a Celeron G530 or better..Speaking new, I guess you would be looking at $300.

Maybe Ned can help.and tell you which older CPU have the power to play HI10P and you can look 2nd, but that's it. Raspberri pi playing some Hi10p files? I'll doubt it... are you aure they are really Hi10p? Not all manga is..
(2013-03-31, 11:14)PatrickVogeli Wrote: You won't get any Hi10P playback with sub $100 devices... accept that. Your best bet sgould be getting somwthing based on a Celeron G530 or better..Speaking new, I guess you would be looking at $300.

Maybe Ned can help.and tell you which older CPU have the power to play HI10P and you can look 2nd, but that's it. Raspberri pi playing some Hi10p files? I'll doubt it... are you aure they are really Hi10p? Not all manga is..

$300 ? OMG! I live in Brazil, in this range of price the product will came here for about $600 BRL + taxes [about 60% of product value], in the end it will cost me about $960 BRL, with this money I can buy a intel mini itx mobo with hdmi, a couple of ddr3 sticks, a 30GB SSD, a minimal case, a pico psu, grab a capuccino and I will have 260 left on my pocket, And i can also use the BCHD on mini pcie to keep cpu low on most video decoding tasks.

Yep. I am sure. Sword Art Online [720P] High [email protected], some episodes plays fine. Accel World also has some ep that plays fine, but thats it, nothing more than some files. I was looking on another threads for a XBMC cluster setup with raspberrys, am I crazy to think that maybe it can work? Should I keep looking?
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
Actually, I was looking at some mobo + celeron G540 set ups that are $80. Just add ram, cheap PSU, cheap case, a spare HDD or just a thumb drive, and you should be good to go for under $150 USD.
(2013-03-31, 07:15)lukasnmd Wrote: That's bad news for me, cause I was willing to left the RasPi [wich can play some Hi10P files] *snip*

Negative. What it is doing is using the high profile h.264 hardware decoder, which will show occasional video artifacts. The Pi's CPU is too weak to even playback basic profile 720 h.264 without that hardware video decoder. Hi10P is still a h.264 profile, which is why it can sometimes work with some video artifacts.
Well, I don't know what prices you have in brazil' but I was talking about that: Celeron G5x0, Mini itx mobo, 2gb ram, small ssd and case... this will solve you the hi10p problem.

Or go 2nd hand and buy something similar
(2013-03-31, 15:04)lukasnmd Wrote:
(2013-03-31, 11:14)PatrickVogeli Wrote: You won't get any Hi10P playback with sub $100 devices... accept that. Your best bet sgould be getting somwthing based on a Celeron G530 or better..Speaking new, I guess you would be looking at $300.

$300 ? OMG! I live in Brazil, in this range of price the product will came here for about $600 BRL + taxes [about 60% of product value], in the end it will cost me about $960 BRL, with this money I can buy a intel mini itx mobo with hdmi, a couple of ddr3 sticks, a 30GB SSD, a minimal case, a pico psu, grab a capuccino and I will have 260 left on my pocket, And i can also use the BCHD on mini pcie to keep cpu low on most video decoding tasks.

Yep. I am sure. Sword Art Online [720P] High [email protected], some episodes plays fine. Accel World also has some ep that plays fine, but thats it, nothing more than some files. I was looking on another threads for a XBMC cluster setup with raspberrys, am I crazy to think that maybe it can work? Should I keep looking?

Actually why bother with finding HW to play hi10p and moan about price. It is a fact that no HW decoder exist for Hi10p and decoding rely on pure CPU power.

Save your money on those cheap ARM device.

Let's say just converted it to 8bit and you save lot of money try to find new one & found out that it won't work as good as you hope.

http://commiesubs.com/how-to-convert-10bit-to-8bit/

Easy to do & you probably won't miss anything. Barely no visible different in picture quality. Retain all those styled subtitles & sound untouched. Just reencode the video to something you HW is capable of.
(2013-03-31, 23:51)oldpoem Wrote: Actually why bother with finding HW to play hi10p and moan about price. It is a fact that no HW decoder exist for Hi10p and decoding rely on pure CPU power.

Save your money on those cheap ARM device.

Let's say just converted it to 8bit and you save lot of money try to find new one & found out that it won't work as good as you hope.

http://commiesubs.com/how-to-convert-10bit-to-8bit/

Easy to do & you probably won't miss anything. Barely no visible different in picture quality. Retain all those styled subtitles & sound untouched. Just reencode the video to something you HW is capable of.

All fansubs here in Brazil have trackers [torrent tracker], and are closed to "public", if you a member u must share to keep making downloads, unfortnetly most of the new releases are coming out only in 10bit, and all the public downloads are reencoded to a worst video quality. So if reencode then to 8 bit, I will use 2 times the size on my storage center...

(2013-03-31, 22:14)Ned Scott Wrote:
(2013-03-31, 07:15)lukasnmd Wrote: That's bad news for me, cause I was willing to left the RasPi [wich can play some Hi10P files] *snip*

Negative. What it is doing is using the high profile h.264 hardware decoder, which will show occasional video artifacts. The Pi's CPU is too weak to even playback basic profile 720 h.264 without that hardware video decoder. Hi10P is still a h.264 profile, which is why it can sometimes work with some video artifacts.

I already knew that, but thanks. =D

(2013-03-31, 22:38)PatrickVogeli Wrote: Well, I don't know what prices you have in brazil' but I was talking about that: Celeron G5x0, Mini itx mobo, 2gb ram, small ssd and case... this will solve you the hi10p problem.

Or go 2nd hand and buy something similar

2GB ram DDR3 = 43 BRL
small SSD 30GB = 190 BRL
pico PSU = 150 BRL
normal PSU = 50 BRL
Small case w/ psu = 150 BRL.

=/ everything is expensive here... a top machine could be easy more than 5k BRL.
[Xgimi Z6 Polar]
[Xiaomi Mi Box]
[Raspberry Pi 3 B]
(2013-04-01, 02:43)lukasnmd Wrote: All fansubs here in Brazil have trackers [torrent tracker], and are closed to "public", if you a member u must share to keep making downloads, unfortnetly most of the new releases are coming out only in 10bit, and all the public downloads are reencoded to a worst video quality. So if reencode then to 8 bit, I will use 2 times the size on my storage center...

One of my friend has this problem as well, he's not willing to shell out money for another XBMC HTPC which is powerful enough to decode Hi10P. He just install Universal Media Server / PS3 Media server on his main server and let it do transcode on the fly.

Which of course means that your main server is powerful enough to transcode it in realtime. You can use your current XBMC device to play it on your TV (of course with some limitation like seek / jump won't be usable.)

Another benefit is you can play all your files on your tablet / smartphone as well. I also set this up to serve my ATOM330 all hi10p anime. But rarely use now since I got new i3 based HTPC and move ATOM330 to other room which rarely used.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Cheapest best XBMC box available for 1080p and fluid browsing?0