• 4(current)
Half-finished TV-listings code (XMLTV-GUI)
(gamester17 @ july 01 2005,09:30 Wrote:
(affini @ june 30 2005,17:19 Wrote:could you compress the grid area spacing and maybe make the 'import xmltv' button and show buttons smaller so that you can fit more listings into the grid? four channels at a time is not much when you have 250+ channels. i'm thinking you could fit 8 to 10 channels in that area by reducing the size of everythign a bit and it would still be very readable.
but all that (including how many channels and hours to display in the grid) will be xml-skinnable for each resolution and skin won't it? Huh
as gamester17 says, it is all skinnable for setting the sizes of everything. and there will be a settings page which lets you choose how many channels, and hours to show, etc.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
(jslawler @ july 01 2005,11:14 Wrote:
(gamester17 @ july 01 2005,09:30 Wrote:
(affini @ june 30 2005,17:19 Wrote:could you compress the grid area spacing and maybe make the 'import xmltv' button and show buttons smaller so that you can fit more listings into the grid? four channels at a time is not much when you have 250+ channels. i'm thinking you could fit 8 to 10 channels in that area by reducing the size of everythign a bit and it would still be very readable.
but all that (including how many channels and hours to display in the grid) will be xml-skinnable for each resolution and skin won't it? Huh
as gamester17 says, it is all skinnable for setting the sizes of everything. and there will be a settings page which lets you choose how many channels, and hours to show, etc.
sounds great Smile
Livingroom: MacMini Mid summer 2010 4Gb RAM HDMI to Pioneer PDP-434 Plasma 1080i
Kitchen: one xbox 1.1 executer 2.3 chip 120 GB in HD 720p mode
Bedroom: Computer Intel Quad 9400, 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GTX260, Vista Ultimate 64, Ubuntu 10.10
all i can say is... wonderful!

i'm serioulsy looking forward to this more then any script yet.

now if we can figure out how to use the grid as a remote control to send a command to my home automation pc so the pc (using usb uirt) can send ir to change the channel!

do you think there is anyway to tie an http command to a channel/button? my homeseer server can receive this command and send ir.
I'm not an expert but I play one at work.
(affini @ july 01 2005,16:09 Wrote:now if we can figure out how to use the grid as a remote control to send a command to my home automation pc so the pc (using usb uirt) can send ir to change the channel!
or, start a python script instead. that it would become really flexible, so we could send a command all sorts of ir blasters but also schedule a recording on pvr.

this is really looking great, i also can't wait till this becomes part of the cvs builds!

thanks!!

le cactus
hi guys,

i did some more coding on this today.
i have created a settings page. (at the moment it is just a sub category of weather)

xmltv source: this option lets you pick a country or network pc. this spin control is populated by adding all file names from q:\tvguide\grabbers\ which end in .py
refresh now: this is just a button that allows you to run the grabber.
number of channels: this specifies how many channels will be shown in the grid at once.
number of hours: this specifies how many hours the grid will cover.

more settings will be added in the future, but this is just a basic setup at the moment.
there is still a few bugs to be worked out with the grid navigation, but it is getting there.

question for any python people: is it possible to open a file that is on a network pc in python code? i want the network pc source method to also be done in a script if i can.
read the xbmc online-manual, faq and search the forums before posting! do not e-mail the xbmc-team asking for support!
read/follow the forum rules! note! team-xbmc never have and never will host or distribute ms-xdk binaries/executables!
just a small suggestion from the settings nazi:

i'd kill the number of channels setting and have that purely defined by the skin. just seems a little out of place with the rest of xbmc. even number of hours is can probably be gotten rid of as well - it's really dictated by the size of font/button that the skinners define, so you mayaswell just have it all done via the skin. just my opinion.

oh, and please put any grabbers and config stuff under the system/ folder.

looking good though.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

@jslawler
the new code is working great! i was unable to check out the settings as i think you left out your new strings.xml when you made your last commit. keep the updates comin'! :thumbsup:

regards,
los93sol
jm,
i'm not sure why you would not want the 'hours' and 'number of channels' be able to be defined within the config. i think it is great... the more settings you can expose to the user the better. i'd rather change the config then mod the code. much more user friendly.

i think the point of the script is to make it skin independant... at least i hope so. that is the best way, right? this is why there were 10 billion request to change the rss feed definition location and such things.

dynamic scripts + dynamic skins = wonderful xbmc experience!
hey guys, this is shaping up great! i'm looking forward to this feature! :d

@affini, i understand where your coming from however i'm siding with jm on this issue - these options are probably better left defined within the skin as they have a major effect on the size of the grid layout. in particular, it would be a real problem for skinners to handle user-defined layouts and maintain ui consistency.
ph03n1x & jm,
i cannot see how keeping it in the skin will make it "better"?

allowing the user to define it will allow them to make the grid smaller/larger and more/less channels/hours as they see fit.

it might even be a good idea to use the new scaling features jm just put in to allow the users to scale the grid images.

let the user decide what looks good to him, do not limit the grid to the best wishes of the skinner... skins should be just that... skins. i actually wish skins in xbmc were mote true to definition they are today. (i will not go into my rant but skins in xbmc are not 100% skins, they are feature implimentation as well).

anyway... it cannot hurt anythign to allow the user to modify the grid size and hours. please leave this in.
haha, seems there is a nice little debate going on here...

my view on it is that while this is still in relatively early development the options for # of channels and amount of time displayed are nice to have. it makes it nice and easy to experiment and find the values that work best.

i do, however think that once we know what works best on what resolutions that it should be defined in the skin. realize that a simple edit of the xml would allow you to change it still, but i doubt many people would ever even want to change these values once it was optimized so i am with jmarshall in the long run, but for now it's good how it is.

i'm not sure if there is some confusion about the code or not, but i want to make sure everyone knows the gui which is all the screenshots you have seen so far is coded in c++, and not python. python will come into play with this project when the grabbers start being ported over to xbmc.

just my 2 cents.

regards,
los93sol
hi guys,

this is how the grid resizing works.
the skinner puts a control on the screen at x and y with a width and height.
my code then works out how much space vertically and horizontally each item can take up. this is worked out on the values put in the settings (at the moment).
this gives the user flexibility to see more or less channels at once (as some countries have lots of channels, and some have few)
i don't mind if you want it taken out of the settings and put into skinning. i just have it this way at the moment as it is easy for me to test resizing code.

here are a heap of screenshots to demo the resizing:
1 channel per screen
2 channels per screen
4 channels per screen
10 channels per screen notice it automatically realises that my tv data only has 7 channels and resizes to fit 7.
4 hours per screen(yes i know the time labels are out of place, im working on it)

anyway, thats where it is at right now.
i think the way you are calculating it is perfect. it is rediculous to me to remove functionality that adds flexibilty and user choice... this is america right? Wink

anyway, maybe you can remove the spaces between each row... that seems to take up a lot so screen real estate and the "import xmltv" button is huge and that 'area' takes up lots of space to.

as you can see, i'm into maximizing the space. i hate scrolling through pages upon pages...
(affini @ july 03 2005,03:35 Wrote:anyway, maybe you can remove the spaces between each row... that seems to take up a lot so screen real estate and the "import xmltv" button is huge and that 'area' takes up lots of space to.
that space is calculated by how many channels u want to see. for example in the image with 7 channels the space between each row is much less, than say the 2 channels image.

pretty much the code goes like this:

spaceperrow = maxheight / number of channels

(i do have a very small inbetween value, but thats to stop the buttons sitting in each other)

i think the reason it looks like therre is a lot of room is because the background colour is black, and the buttons are also black. so in reality there is actually no space between the rows, it is just that the buttons are very tall and blend in with the background colour. if we had different colour grid buttons it would be more obvious.
:kickass: i am going to check it out more later when i am home and can compile with the latest code, but was just wondering if the amount of time displayed on the screen is configurable in half hour increments. so you could have like 1 hour, 1.5 hours, 2 hours, 2.5 hours, etc.? just to give a few more variables to experiment with. outstanding updates as always jslawler!!!

regards,
los93sol
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Half-finished TV-listings code (XMLTV-GUI)0