Linux (SOLVED) Can't upgrade from VDR4YOU Eden pre-release - what to do?
For some reason I'm unable to upgrade my HTPC to to the release version of Eden. When I first built the system I installed Ubuntu Natty and there were no pre-release versions of XBMC available that would work on Natty, however, someone pointed me to an unofficial repository at https://launchpad.net/~easy-vdr4you/+arc...xbmc-natty and I installed from there. The problem now is that even though I have disabled that repository in Synaptic, and added the official team-xbmc repos, Synaptic insists that the pre-release version I have is the latest and will not even offer the final release version. I'm at a loss as to what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions? I do NOT want to lose my current XBMC settings so I am very reluctant to simply remove the current versions using Synaptic, and anyway I'm not sure it wouldn't still find the other versions from the VDR4YOU site, because it seems to still be saying the latest version is the same as the installed version, even though I have disabled those repos!

Even then I try to force it to use the team-xbmc repository it doesn't work:

~$ sudo apt-get install -t team-xbmc xbmc
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
xbmc is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
In case anyone else has this issue, here is what to do. First install ppa-purge if it's not already installed:

sudo apt-get install ppa-purge

If you have previously disabled the unwanted repository in Synaptic go back and re-enable it. Then remove the unwanted repository (this SHOULD also upgrade XBMC):

sudo ppa-purge ppa:easy-vdr4you/unstable-xbmc-natty

Then just to be on the safe side:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

If for some reason your remote stops working correctly (it shouldn't unless you make the same dumb mistake I did), go into Synaptic (don't do this from the command line) and try completely removing, then reinstalling lirc. When you reinstall, it should pop up a window that gives you the option to select what type of remote you are using and once you do that, hopefully it will work again.

One final thing, after you get it all working I'd look in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ and totally delete the files associated with the unwanted repository, if they are still there. It may not hurt anything to leave them but if you don't plan on using that repository again, it's probably best to just remove them.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
(SOLVED) Can't upgrade from VDR4YOU Eden pre-release - what to do?0