Win XBMC Launcher
Lightbulb 
I have written a very basic XBMC Launcher Windows application to enable users of MCE Remotes to start XMBC using a single key press. It does require a little knowledge of how shortcut keys work on desktop icons but, apart from that, that's it.

The program will look in the default installation directory to try and find XBMC (that's C:\Program Files\XBMC\ or C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\) and if it finds it it will launch it. If it can't find XBMC it will ask you to browse for XBMC and will store the path you select. However, as the program stores this information in the registry, you would need to run the program the first time as an administrator (right click the icon and select "Run as administrator"). This ONLY needs to be done to set up XBMCLauncher if you don't store XBMC in the default location.

If XBMC is already running then XBMCLauncher will simply restore the XMBC window/screen rather than launch another copy (which I don't think XMBC allows anyway).

Anyway, if anyone is interested in using/testing it, please let me know and I'll make it available.

On a side not, I am also writing an GUI application to configure MCE remotes. This program is called XBMCGreenButton but right now, it's still in it's early stages, but here's a screen shot of the configuration to (hopefully) wet your appetite.

PS: Where do I create/edit my signature? Blowed if I can find it in my control panel!!!
Very nice idea Smile
I will follow this with interest.
I would be happy to test this for you... It sounds like it could be very useful.
For those that wish to use XBMCLauncher, the program can be downloaded HERE. If you need help setting up the keyboard/desktop shortcut, let me know.

I will post a link for XBMCGreenButton at a later date for those that wish to test it. As there is such a vast array of remotes and configurations out there, I will need assistance to ensure each key selection retrieves the right information.
Ok ive downloaded the file and if you double click it then it launches xbmc. How do I configure it to a button on my remote?

Thanks Smile
Which type of remote are you using? Do you have any buttons remapped OUTSIDE of XBMC? Until XMBCGreenButton is released to change your MCE remote keys this is a bit awkward, unless you have something like a Harmony programmable remote. In my particular case, I have actually mapped a key to Alt-F4 (which is normally close app) so when I press that key combination via the remote it launches XMBC (or brings it to the front). I'm guessing you have a conventional MCE remote?
Ive got one of these:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Wireless-...413wt_1344

Its a full keyboard with all media centre keys and a mouse stick built in.
I havent mapped any keys on it yet.
Well, that's fairly easy then. Have you created an icon for XBMCLauncher on the desktop? Unfortunatley, I'm just about to go out for the rest of the day so I don't have time to write it now, but if you can create an icon to XBMCLauncher on the desktop, I'll tell ya how to sert it up (if no one else has) tomorrow (don't want to rush it now so I make sure I cover all the steps...
Ive got a shortcut on my desktop ready and waiting Smile
OK. Just got home so here's what you need to do - it is really easy, honestly.

Right click the desktop shortcut you have, select properties and you will see a field that says "Shortcut Key" on the "Shortcut" tab. Click in that field and press a key on your wireless keyboard - any key you don't use for anything else. For arguments sake, if you want to launch using F5, click the "Shortcut Key" box and press F5 and the field should change to, you guessed it, F5. Now click OK and press F5 on your keypad and, hey presto, XBMC launches but if its already launched, it should bring it to the front. That's it! Simple, hey?

Let me know how you get on. I hope to have a version of XBMCGreenButton for testing this weekend which I'll need people to just check to make sure all the key settings I've put in are correct; it won't be functional yet but I need to make sure the mappings are correct as it changes an entry in the registry.

EDIT: Just looked at the keypad you have a bit closer and F5 wasn't a good example (as it doesn't have Function keys). Use the tilde button, the one that looks like a wavy line to the right of Esc (~).
nice one adelphia

I'm using a program called lauchlater when the windows starts, but if don't move any key for 20secs is gone, i will try your xbmc lauch

thanks
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

(2012-05-02, 00:51)adelphia Wrote: OK. Just got home so here's what you need to do - it is really easy, honestly.

Right click the desktop shortcut you have, select properties and you will see a field that says "Shortcut Key" on the "Shortcut" tab. Click in that field and press a key on your wireless keyboard - any key you don't use for anything else. For arguments sake, if you want to launch using F5, click the "Shortcut Key" box and press F5 and the field should change to, you guessed it, F5. Now click OK and press F5 on your keypad and, hey presto, XBMC launches but if its already launched, it should bring it to the front. That's it! Simple, hey?

Let me know how you get on. I hope to have a version of XBMCGreenButton for testing this weekend which I'll need people to just check to make sure all the key settings I've put in are correct; it won't be functional yet but I need to make sure the mappings are correct as it changes an entry in the registry.

EDIT: Just looked at the keypad you have a bit closer and F5 wasn't a good example (as it doesn't have Function keys). Use the tilde button, the one that looks like a wavy line to the right of Esc (~).

Ok I see what you mean now thanks Smile
Yes it works nicely.
(2012-04-29, 14:06)adelphia Wrote: PS: Where do I create/edit my signature? Blowed if I can find it in my control panel!!!

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Thanks for that! I could have sworn that that option wasn't there the last 3 or 4 times I looked! Do you have to post a certain number of times before it comes visible?
Not sure about that - I couldn't say Wink
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Launcher0