OS X [Mac] Sound Noise on Some Downloaded Videos
Here is my issue. I have a Mac Mini running audio over HDMI to the TV. Seems to work well, until recently. Some movie downloads play loud static noise instead of the audio. When I go to the sound prefs, I see that instead of SHARP HDMI (as it should be below), the prefs default to anything else but. I am trying to get it working in XBMC, but even in VLC the audio is screwed up. It either won't play at all if the pref reverts to Soundflower, but it will play through the internal speaker if that is what the pref defaults to (basically, if I set the pref to HDMI, then close the system prefs, the next time I open the system prefs it is set to whatever was chosen before HDMI). I have tried to uninstall Soundflower, but that doesn't seem to resolve the issue. Anyone else have any thoughts?

Dead-thread Necromancer!

Mac Mini (mid-2011) • 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 • 8Gb RAM • OS X 10.9.5 • TVMC 14.2
Raspberry Pi 2 • OpenELEC 6.0
"loud static noise instead of the audio" means you have ac3/dts passthough enabled yet your hdtv does not know how to decode ac3/dts. Turn these two settings off (settings -> system -> audio)
(2012-05-05, 20:55)davilla Wrote: "loud static noise instead of the audio" means you have ac3/dts passthough enabled yet your hdtv does not know how to decode ac3/dts. Turn these two settings off (settings -> system -> audio)

I figured it had to be a XBMC setting after I created a test profile and the audio worked fine in that one. After resetting the two audio settings, all the files I had trouble with are working fine again. Thanks for the help, davilla!

Dead-thread Necromancer!

Mac Mini (mid-2011) • 2.3GHz Intel Core i5 • 8Gb RAM • OS X 10.9.5 • TVMC 14.2
Raspberry Pi 2 • OpenELEC 6.0

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Mac] Sound Noise on Some Downloaded Videos0