• 9(current)
Any interest in hiding tv thumbnails when hiding plot?
We don't have blur or pixelate - if only !
I wonder if https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/6986 could be extended somehow I know that's scaling but its image manipulation already.
Isn't a bluring option provided by Phil65's script.toolbox?

-> http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=207618

Never tried or took a depper look into it. I don't even know if it's available outside of the music visualization window.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
I dont think default skin can depend on all manners of addons, but yes if its optional the addon or service addon can be intalled if the option is turned on, assuming the script can do that.

I agree the simplest solution is to blur the dammed thumb, discussing what graphic is best endlessly is pointless.
Blurring thumbnail via glsl (shadertoy)

Code:
void mainImage( out vec4 fragColor, in vec2 fragCoord )
{
    vec2 uv = fragCoord.xy / iResolution.xy;

float lod = (3.0 + 4.0)*step( uv.x, 1.0 );

vec3 col = texture2D( iChannel0, vec2(uv.x,1.0-uv.y), lod ).xyz;

fragColor = vec4( col, 1.0 );
}

Result half screen changing - (step( uv.x, 0.5)

Tweaking float lod = (3.0 + 4.0) values gives more or less blurring. Just needs a skin implementation and using the Kodi shadertoy by topfs2

Pixelating thumb: Modified version of https://www.shadertoy.com/view/llfGR7

Code:
const float pixel_w = 25.;
const float pixel_h = 25.;

{
    float vx_offset = 0.5;

vec4 c = texture2D(iChannel0, uv);
    vec3 tc = vec3(1., 0., 0.);

vec2 coord = vec2(0.,0.);

if(uv.x < (vx_offset-0.0))
    {
        float dx = pixel_w*(1./iResolution.x);
        float dy = pixel_h*(1./iResolution.y);
        coord = vec2(dx*floor(uv.x/dx),
                     dy*floor(uv.y/dy));
    }
    else if (uv.x>=(vx_offset*0.0))
    {
        coord = uv;
    }

tc = texture2D(iChannel0, coord).rgb;

fragColor = vec4(tc, 1.0);
}

Pixel sizes modify keeping a square ratio
const float pixel_w = 25.;
const float pixel_h = 25.;

For full picture modify float vx_offset = 0.5; to float vx_offset = 1.;

We have https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/7462 being submitted and suggested. (Never mind Im the one submitting PR, the code belongs to @mkortstiege, (personally I dont have an interest in this feature or maybe even use it but others in the house may very well use it).

There are some issues of note (perhaps even blocking this feature as is).

#1 - If you have this option enabled (hide spoilers) and add any new episodes and scan into library the DefaultEpisodeHidden.png is cached as the only thumb even if you disable this option.
Only way to fix this is to refresh information for the whole series (refresh wont work/affect this per season) or episode by episode or remove season/episode from library and rescan.

#2 - In view listing when you finish watching an episode (where #1 isnt the cause) the thumb doesn't switch immediately to the actual episode thumb, requires navigate away and back or start watching another episode. (this affects Recently added node and the home widget)

#3 - The home widget thumbs sometimes wont switch from DefaultEpisodeHidden.png if option is turned off (where #1 isnt the cause) or when you finish watching an episode, In best case scenario you need to navigate away to other nodes or library areas, or in worst case scenario you need to restart Kodi.

#4 - Current implementation uses one option only [Enabled] Shows plots for unwatched movies and episodes [Disabled] Hides plots for movies and episodes plus hides the episode thumbnail.
Its been suggested to use multiple options which would probably be best way.

What works: Existing library items scanned without this option active)

#1 - Enabling feature ( Disabling show spoilers for all unwatched items) immediately assigns/hides the thumbs for all unwatched episodes and shows DefaultEpisodeHidden.png and hides the plot also,

#2 - List view items thumbnails are immediately reverted when turning option off (Enabling - Show spoilers for all unwatched items.

Conclusion: As is this feature works but is buggy and requires experienced and knowledgeable developer to implement the feature properly while integrating it with Confluence.
Additionally by this time perhaps shadertoy supporting code is in mainline and we can use the shader to blur the thumbnail instead.
(2015-06-30, 13:35)uNiversal Wrote: Blurring thumbnail via glsl (shadertoy)

Code:
{

float lod = (3.0 + 4.0)*step( uv.x, 1.0 );

vec3 col = texture2D( iChannel0, vec2(uv.x,1.0-uv.y), lod ).xyz;

fragColor = vec4( col, 1.0 );
}

Result half screen changing - (step( uv.x, 0.5)

Tweaking float lod = (3.0 + 4.0) values gives more or less blurring. Just needs a skin implemenation and using the kodi shadetoy by topfs2
How does a skin use it?
I see there's some problems with the approach being taken in the PR.

Could we make use of the actual thumbnail and apply a patterned overlay with say a opacity rating of 80% that could be applied over the top of the thumbnail? so it would have a similar effect to blurring without having to alter the thumbnail stored.
(2015-07-15, 13:42)Hitcher Wrote: How does a skin use it?

No idea, atm doesn't, topfs2 talkied about adding the shadertoy code to master so that addons/skins could use it so only then I guess.
Also currently video shaders are possible since https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master/system/shaders but images are not?

@jjd-uk Yep we like some some instead of going around in circles.
Something like:

Original

Overlay

Merged

Anything like possible at the moment?
jjd-uk damn you spoiled a tv show i want to watch in the future Big Grin
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
E2 of Walkingdead was spoiled. Thumbnail showed a new character known to comic book readers. It spoiled his dramatic reveal.

E6 of Westworld was spoiled. The thumbnail showed Thandie Newton dressed and touring the facility.

I don't want episode thumbnails. They serve no purpose imo. Can't there be an option to just use the series fan art for all episode thumbnails.
I can probably add this option to Confluence now.
This feature is even more important with the latest version of the Estuary skin, since they removed the view options that hide the thumbnail entirely.

Has the shift from Confluence to Estuary stalled out the work on this feature? I'm not familiar enough with the codebase to know how much changed in the underpinnings of the skin code vs pure visual tweaks.
(2016-12-01, 17:28)Alamei Wrote: Has the shift from Confluence to Estuary stalled out the work on this feature?

The screenshots are back in Estuary, after 5 years of discussions. Big Grin That's exactly why I was proposing that these screenshots be killed in the actual Kodi code. It was never a good idea to show them in the first place.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any interest in hiding tv thumbnails when hiding plot? 3