Feature request: Edit keymaps GUI
Hi,

I've serched the forum for thread regarding such a feature. The closest one i've found is this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=124162

Somewhere down the line calev suggests the exact feature I most miss in XBMC, but because of the main subject of the thread i don't think due atention has been paid. Please correct me if i've should not have posted a new trhead or if it should have been somewhere else on the forum.

Basically, I believe XBMC lacks a more userfriendly way of setting up a remote controls. Editing keymap files, specially in linux where we have to jump trhough extra hoops to be able to copy a new file to XBMC's folder is really painfull today. It would be really great if there was a GUI for mapping keys of remotes, gamepads, etc, from inside XBMC itself, much like any console emulator does.

I'm not a developer, so I don't know if this is too complex to implement, but it would certanly improve XBMC's userfriendlyness.

Best regards,

I looked at writing an add-on to do this before giving up and writing a Windows app in C++ to do it. It's not impossibly hard, it's just that the add-on GUI isn't ideal for the job and it would be a lot of hackery to get it to work.

I'd be surprised if there was much enthusiasm for including code to do this in XBMC itself. The most obvious course would be to use an add-on.
Thank you for your response. Maybe an addon which simply downloads keymaps from an online user submitted repository. Not really ideal, but already of great use to novice users.
In linux, in order to copy a keymap file to XBMCs folder, a user has to login as superuser, which is not something a user should be required to do in the first place, as it is fairly easy to break the entire system.
no, users who does not read the documentation properly need superuser.
users who read properly, know that they can stick it in ~/.xbmc/userdata/keymaps...
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=129659 ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Feature request: Edit keymaps GUI0