intel hd 4000 and dxva2
Has anyone tried the new ivy bridge gpus with xbmc's dxva2? If so, does it work properly or does it have to same issues as the hd 2000/3000 with artifacts?
(2012-05-06, 22:47)nelson01 Wrote: Has anyone tried the new ivy bridge gpus with xbmc's dxva2? If so, does it work properly or does it have to same issues as the hd 2000/3000 with artifacts?
DXVA2 is not friendly to all type of GPU's. With DXVA2 enabled, it cause pixelation with video in this post- brief green pixelation during resume.

The iVy should be able to handle any playback without DXVA2......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
yeah , I finally gave up and threw a 5450 gou in my box.
(2012-05-08, 18:50)musicguy980 Wrote: yeah , I finally gave up and threw a 5450 gou in my box.
What is wrong with your HTPC? What iGPU do you have?

I'm going to answer my own question. The dxva2 performance of the HD 4000 IS better than the 2000/3000 series. I know for a fact because i now own all 3. It is about on par with the discrete ati cards and fusion apus i've tried. However, it still artifacts with dvdplayer's dxva2, oddly enough in the EXACT same places as the ati hardware, and in the EXACT same manner: green pixelation, green screen. This does not happen using dsplayer with lav native dxva with ati hardware or the HD 4000, at least in the testing I've done so far. The files I'm playing back are untouched bluray streams muxed into mkvs. For anyone considering the HD 4000 if and when it is released with a dual core ivy bridge chip, it looks promising thus far. I'll be doing more comprehensive testing and I'll share my findings.

For anyone wondering, here's hardware I've used: ATI A3400, A3870, HD6570, HD6450, Intel Core i3 2105, 2120, Core i5 2500K, 3570K, Nvidia GT430, GT520.

The nvidia cards work best with dvdplayer's dxva2.
(2012-05-09, 05:14)nelson01 Wrote: For anyone wondering, here's hardware I've used: ATI A3400, A3870, HD6570, HD6450, Intel Core i3 2105, 2120, Core i5 2500K, 3570K, Nvidia GT430, GT520.

I own some of the GPU's and iGPU's in your list......and all of them have artifact problem when playback Bug Life with DXVA2 enabled.....

i've been trying to find the hardware needed for perfect playback, including set top boxes like the boxee box and popcorn hour. There's always something, no matter what you choose, that keeps it from being perfect.
(2012-05-09, 06:29)nelson01 Wrote: i've been trying to find the hardware needed for perfect playback, including set top boxes like the boxee box and popcorn hour. There's always something, no matter what you choose, that keeps it from being perfect.
But it playback perfect with TMT5 as an external player though....

(2012-05-09, 06:31)bluray Wrote:
(2012-05-09, 06:29)nelson01 Wrote: i've been trying to find the hardware needed for perfect playback, including set top boxes like the boxee box and popcorn hour. There's always something, no matter what you choose, that keeps it from being perfect.
But it playback perfect with TMT5 as an external player though....

that i haven't tried. it seems like it wouldn't be as seamless as using just dvdplayer or dsplayer. also, i don't know if that would present any issues while running xbmc as a shell. i have tried the arcsoft filters with dsplayer. the video playback was flawless, but it would eventually lose a/v sync.
(2012-05-09, 05:14)nelson01 Wrote: I'm going to answer my own question. The dxva2 performance of the HD 4000 IS better than the 2000/3000 series. I know for a fact because i now own all 3. It is about on par with the discrete ati cards and fusion apus i've tried. However, it still artifacts with dvdplayer's dxva2, oddly enough in the EXACT same places as the ati hardware, and in the EXACT same manner: green pixelation, green screen. This does not happen using dsplayer with lav native dxva with ati hardware or the HD 4000, at least in the testing I've done so far. The files I'm playing back are untouched bluray streams muxed into mkvs. For anyone considering the HD 4000 if and when it is released with a dual core ivy bridge chip, it looks promising thus far. I'll be doing more comprehensive testing and I'll share my findings.

For anyone wondering, here's hardware I've used: ATI A3400, A3870, HD6570, HD6450, Intel Core i3 2105, 2120, Core i5 2500K, 3570K, Nvidia GT430, GT520.

Nelson01, thanks for this information. I am curious about how will you explain the following:
1. System details: Asus p8z77 M Pro + i5 3570K + Win7 x64 + XBMC-dsplayer + LAV filters. The audio and video go through HDMA -> receiver -> HDTV
2. Playback of h264 35Mbps (and any other media) is smooth with or without DXVA2 enabled in LAV-video configuration, in full-screen or true full-screen mode. During playback LAV video shows the corresponding decoder active. There is also significant difference in the CPU load with or without DXVA2.
3. Playback with Intel QuickSync enabled and true full-screen mode does not start at all.
4. Playback with Intel QuickSync enabled and full-screen mode starts choppy. Calling out any other window (for example cntr-alt-del - Task Manager) smoothes the playback and it remains smooth with any other playback till exiting and restarting XBMC.
That's the same experience I've had. Quicksync doesn't work in true fullscreen. Quicksync copies frames back to ram so it uses more cpu cycles than native dxva. That's why I'd recommend native dxva for the best playback experience. XBMC's dvdplayer has the most efficient native dxva2 implementation, but there are some issues with full bluray streams with more than 3 reference frames. The best and most complete performance I've obtained with the hd 4000 is using DSplayer with The LAV splitter, Arcsoft video decoder, and LAV audio filter, with the m2ts container. However, using m2ts files lost the advance by 10 minutes feature during playback. It jumps directly to the next file. With the mkv container I experienced loss of a/v sync and incorrect framerate on playback of certain files. LAV's dxva works well also, but it doesn't accelerate VC-1.

If you're playing back AVC encoded files exclusively, I'd shoot for LAV native dxva.
If your files are compressed, I'd recommend XBMC's dvdplayer.
If you're playing untouched bluray streams of all types (AVC, MPEG-2, VC-1) I'd recommend the Arcsoft filter
Thanks Nelson01. Very helpful information Smile
(2012-05-06, 22:47)nelson01 Wrote: Has anyone tried the new ivy bridge gpus with xbmc's dxva2? If so, does it work properly or does it have to same issues as the hd 2000/3000 with artifacts?
Was just about to make a thread asking this. I rebuilt my HTPC with an i3 2100 and noticed issues with DXVA enabled. Was wondering if I should bother swapping out with a 4000 level GPU, but it appears Ivy Bridge suffers the same fate.

Oh well. Software rendering it is, as many have pointed out an i3 can handle the load.
(2012-06-08, 10:46)silentbob343 Wrote:
Was just about to make a thread asking this. I rebuilt my HTPC with an i3 2100 and noticed issues with DXVA enabled. Was wondering if I should bother swapping out with a 4000 level GPU, but it appears Ivy Bridge suffers the same fate.

Oh well. Software rendering it is, as many have pointed out an i3 can handle the load.
Your i3-2100 can handle it without DXVA enable......and you don't need it.........

(2012-06-08, 18:05)bluray Wrote:
(2012-06-08, 10:46)silentbob343 Wrote:

Your i3-2100 can handle it without DXVA enable......and you don't need it.........

It is certain that i3-2100 can handle it, but is it as effective as with DXVA2? How much is the processor stressed when not using DXVA2 compared to DXVA2 on?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
intel hd 4000 and dxva20