my new Lenovo Q180 XBMC HTPC
I agree, they take more user intervention than most nettop (Atom + ION) running xbmc. I'm running xbmcbuntu, i think the next step is to install ubuntu min server and then install xbmc. What graphics card drivers are you using? the propriety AMD one? or the open source drivers? I've tried the sync option to no great improvement. The thing is, even in the menu, i get tearing when moving between menu items, not as mush as in a high speed movie scene, but enough to notice. I'd be very interested in seeing your modd, the reason i swapped my Foxconn NT330i for the Q180 is because it was quieter.
Read the script from the link.
The script uses http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996 and also xbmc build.
The build with minimal ubuntu is better but is a little harder to install.
Thanks illiac4, I'll give it a go and report my finding.
Well finally had time to rebuild my Q180 from scratch using ubuntu server min and the script suggested by illiac4 above and I'm happy to report everything is working perfectly so far. One road bump, well more blip, was disabling underscan as at 1080p I had black bars both top/bottom and sides. Very pleased with the box now.
Can i ask if anyone who is using win 7, are they having more success with 32 bit or 64 bit and what version of drivers they are using please. I can't seem to find it working as well as with the original drivers they had preinstalled with the 180 originally and unfortunately didn't keep a copy of them Sad

Also is anyone having trouble with the q180 shutting down?

Any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks
I have the Q180 Windows 7 64Bit and the thing was terrible performance with Video and Audio at first.

The issue was that when Lenovo Pre-Installed Windows 7, the used the Defualt install method for the motherboard which was EUFI, The Lenovo Does not support that install method they were supposed to switch to Legacy. As far as I can make out, the machine works on a basic level but all the system calls are trying to go through EUFI mode to the hardware, which does not work then having to revert back to Legacy, on every call. this causes massive performance issues with Audio and Video.

The solution was for me to Re-install Windows 7 Pro and download and install the Drivers from Lenovo site EXCEPT the Audio and Video Drivers, they do not use current or properly working ones on the Lenovo site.

If you want HD audio you need to download and install the realtek R2.7 HD audio drivers from Realtek and for Video download the Drivers from AMD/ATI for the Video Card. Mine is the 6450 and I got the latest Catalyst Drivers from the AMD site.

Now Everything Works Great! Audio is awesome and video is smooth and clear.

Only issue is with the XBMC menus being a little slow and not too smooth.
Hello,

cause I was asked again what are my settings, I made now some printscreens.
Cause I don't know how to post pictures, pdf or doc here, you can send me
a message with your email account. I will send you the printscreens with
the settings.

Best regards!
@Bladerunner:
You can simply link to the pictures you posted over at xbmcnerds...
- - - Tribute to Metallica - - -
If I managed to help you, please click my reputation
@mad-max:
thanks!

Now here are my settings printscreens:

http://www.xbmcnerds.com/index.php?page=...071be47e39
http://www.xbmcnerds.com/index.php?page=...e4d1a82fd4
http://www.xbmcnerds.com/index.php?page=...284009c758
http://www.xbmcnerds.com/index.php?page=...d109c2139a
http://www.xbmcnerds.com/index.php?page=...848309cdae
(2013-01-03, 18:12)sintek Wrote: I have the Q180 Windows 7 64Bit and the thing was terrible performance with Video and Audio at first.

The issue was that when Lenovo Pre-Installed Windows 7, the used the Defualt install method for the motherboard which was EUFI, The Lenovo Does not support that install method they were supposed to switch to Legacy. As far as I can make out, the machine works on a basic level but all the system calls are trying to go through EUFI mode to the hardware, which does not work then having to revert back to Legacy, on every call. this causes massive performance issues with Audio and Video.

The solution was for me to Re-install Windows 7 Pro and download and install the Drivers from Lenovo site EXCEPT the Audio and Video Drivers, they do not use current or properly working ones on the Lenovo site.

If you want HD audio you need to download and install the realtek R2.7 HD audio drivers from Realtek and for Video download the Drivers from AMD/ATI for the Video Card. Mine is the 6450 and I got the latest Catalyst Drivers from the AMD site.

Now Everything Works Great! Audio is awesome and video is smooth and clear.

Only issue is with the XBMC menus being a little slow and not too smooth.

Hi Sintek,

I just got since a few days my Lenovo IdeeaCentre Q180 with the Intel Atom D2550 and the ATI HD7450 Video with 2GB RAM - with DOS OS
I have installed Win 7 Home Premium.
The video driver is not recognized as HD7450, the device manager shows that it's HD6450...
On a first check I seem to have problems with playing mkv files (1080i) in the range of 3GB or bigger... image gets shuttered, decoded slowly.. etc
I use VLC Player...
Audio is fine

I'm about to upgrade the RAM from 2GB 1066MHz to 4GB 1333Mhz - I hope that this will improve the performance.
Could you please share the ati video driver file you have installed ?

Thanks,

The video driver is the Beta Driver on the AMD website. My Q180 Came with the the ATI6450 but i have heard of ones that come with the 7xxx series and not be detected properly. Upping my Ram from 2GB to 4GB increased performance by a hugely noticable amount
(2013-01-28, 17:48)sintek Wrote: The video driver is the Beta Driver on the AMD website. My Q180 Came with the the ATI6450 but i have heard of ones that come with the 7xxx series and not be detected properly. Upping my Ram from 2GB to 4GB increased performance by a hugely noticable amount

Hi,

After the RAM upgrade, I also noticed some significant improvement of the system.
Now the "bottle neck" look to be the WiFi...
I'm loosing about 50% of the transmitted packages (via "ping ip -l 65500" in the cmd line)... and I don't know why...
looks that the WiFi is quite slow / with low performance on the Q180.
hey guys. do you also have some problems with your q180 an frodo final? i have really slow menu framerates when starting xbmc. movies are played fine and smooth?

btw i also upgraded the q180 with 4gb ram and a small ssd. now the system is really fast (using windows 8).

-= XBMC Lover © 2006 =-
---------------------------------------
XBMC @ Lenovo Q180, harmony one, Sony Bravia KDL-55W905, Marantz SR5006, MySQL XBMC Database @ Synology DS-409+ (thx Firnsy)
XBMC @ Lenovo Q150 and a Panasonic Plasma for bedrooming ;)
(2013-02-03, 22:38)ringgh0st Wrote: hey guys. do you also have some problems with your q180 an frodo final? i have really slow menu framerates when starting xbmc. movies are played fine and smooth?
btw i also upgraded the q180 with 4gb ram and a small ssd. now the system is really fast (using windows 8).

Hi,

I'm using Win7 64bit on my Lenovo Q180 (Intel Atom D2550, 4BG DDR3, ATI HD 7540 and 500GB HDD) - concerning Windows7 I can say it's working fine/acceptable
But same problem with XBMC FRODO, the WBMC main menu (inc. mouse) is extremely slow.
Once the movie or music starts playing it's fine, but if I return to the main menu, (while the movie plays in the background) the problem comes back....
With XBMC EDEN I have the feeling that it was a little bit smoother.... but I'm not so sure.

Another issue with the Q180 is the slow wireless... that seem to be improved after the WiFi driver from Realtek update (came directly via Windows update) and changing the work-group setting - at least it was working fine yesterday... will see today Wink

Hi,

I had the same problems with slow menu inc. mouse, Try to install the older AMD Catalyst 12.10 driver from "guru3d" (http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/amd_...nload.html). After that it worked fine on my Lenovo Q180.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
my new Lenovo Q180 XBMC HTPC 1