Linux Need Updated How-To Guide for Minimal Ubuntu
I have tried wading through the forums and the wiki, but nothing I've found seems to be appropriate for my situation. The closest I can find is this guide, which served me very well when I installed Dharma on Ubuntu 10.04 a couple of years ago. However, I ran into trouble with it trying to install Eden, which leads me to believe the information is dated.

I just completed a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 Server, and I do not have any desktop installed, so everything is CLI. My intention is that the box serves as both a LAMP/Samba server and as my HTPC running XBMC. The other guides I have tried wading through seemed more appropriate for Ubuntus with a running desktop or for installing XBMCbuntu. I realize I could install a LAMP stack on XBMCbuntu, but it seems bass-ackward to me compared to installing XBMC on an existing LAMP server.

Is there an updated guide suitable for installing Eden on a minimal Ubuntu LAMP server?
you can use this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
If you are not using ATI adjust the GFX drivers(step 2) to your hardware and do not add my ppa(step 3). Just install xbmc from the normal ubuntu repo.
(2012-05-08, 11:13)wsnipex Wrote: you can use this: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=116996
If you are not using ATI adjust the GFX drivers(step 2) to your hardware and do not add my ppa(step 3). Just install xbmc from the normal ubuntu repo.
Thanks for that, I'll tackle it this afternoon. One thing I'm curious about is the need for light-dm. With Dharma, there was no need for a window manager at all; installing xbmc-live was all that was needed to get XBMC to auto-start on bootup. This also allowed me to password-protect the xbmc account since it never needed to log in for XBMC to run. It also had the added bonus of automatically restarting XBMC if it crashed. Will all of this be possible with the light-dm method?
yes, all that is possible. and lightdm is not absolutely needed, its just our and also xmbcbuntus way of doing it, there are other ways of course.
(2012-05-08, 22:08)wsnipex Wrote: yes, all that is possible. and lightdm is not absolutely needed, its just our and also xmbcbuntus way of doing it, there are other ways of course.

Okay, I got it all installed pretty easily using your instructions. Now, I have a problem with sound. It seems it can't find a sound card, even though alsamixer shows my card and nothing is disabled or muted.

output of /proc/asound/modules:
Code:
0 snd_emu10k1
1 snd_hda_intel
Card 0 is my SB Live card, the card I want used.

output of aplay -l:
Code:
aplay: device_list:252: no soundcards found...

output of relevant part of lspci:
Code:
05:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
    Subsystem: Creative Labs CT4780 SBLive! Value
    Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 22
    I/O ports at cce0 [size=32]
    Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1
    Kernel driver in use: snd_emu10k1
    Kernel modules: snd-emu10k1

Any idea what could be causing the problem? This all worked before I reinstalled my OS.

EDIT: It appears to be a permissions problem. I got aplay to work, and even got mplayer to play something, if I did it all as root. So, which permissions or group am I missing?
Output of 'groups xbmc':
Code:
xbmc : xbmc audio video users

EDIT Again: I got the problem sorted out by adding the groups listed in the old guide:
Code:
sudo usermod --group adm,sudo,cdrom,floppy,audio,video,plugdev,netdev,powerdev,fuse,polkituser xbmc
except for polkituser and powerdev, as those groups don't exist. Sound is working now. I;m not sure which group is responsible for it working, so I'm leaving this post as is for you guys to pick at.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need Updated How-To Guide for Minimal Ubuntu1