SILENT Streacom FC8 Build, A6-3500
My build is here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=128867
I bought an ASRock Smart Remote, but I just sold the thing after they sent me a remote and I realised the receiver is a real piece of sh*t.
As you can see, I have a CIR compatible motherboard which I currently have the front USB connected.

I may drill a hole and mount an IR receiver if I ever find somewhere that sells a suitable IR window. I have space now I've installed a Pico PSU and fitted 2 Red Wing 80mm fans on each side.

The problem is that nowhere sells the separate piece in the UK and the shipping from Inteset is $98 for the thing. I have another remote which I'm gonna test in the post, a Sony Vaio GP5U. Not sure if it's even going to work, but it was cheap from eBay. The PS3 remote I bought is garbage after it failed to pair after system sleep and now just will not pair no matter what I do.
(2012-05-26, 15:58)bossanova808 Wrote: You can actually see an inteset CIR mount in an FC8 in this post:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1063807

(bottom left).

And the IR window is just right of SD reader on this one:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1108039

(sorry, can't be arsed taking mine apart to do pictures!)

What exactly does 're-pinning' mean - do you have to solder or is it just plug type stuff?

Priceless, cheers for finding those!

Repinning sounds more scary than it really is! You just use a very small screwdriver to pop the cables out of the motherboard connector, and put them back in a different order. There are some instructions on the forum which tell you what order the cables need to be in.

I actually repinned mine into a 10 pin motherboard connector I had spare, as the one that comes with it is only 8 pin with one pin blanked off.

I have updated my thoughts on all this on my blog here - http://xbmcstuff.bossanova808.net/2012/0...build.html

Windows is definitely the way to go, and honestly think this is a much better alternative to those Antec cases. Truly silent, way better looking....
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
Very nice build. Those Streacom cases are nice.

I have the BC-5600S too. I just ordered a pile of the faceplates from China. The eject (similar one in the Iwill HT100) seems to work better with the faceplate on so it hits the button.

Congrats and enjoy!

I have a faceplate on mine. It works fine, it's just a little mushy and I am worried long term it won't last. I think it's just a bad example but I can't be bothered getting it replaced (ebay dealer etc). I will use it maybe 10 times in the life of the machine probably, and software eject works too of course, so very very minor...

OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
(2012-06-04, 04:01)bossanova808 Wrote: I have a faceplate on mine. It works fine, it's just a little mushy and I am worried long term it won't last. I think it's just a bad example but I can't be bothered getting it replaced (ebay dealer etc). I will use it maybe 10 times in the life of the machine probably, and software eject works too of course, so very very minor...

Both my Sony BC-5600S and AD-7640S, which us the same faceplate, are the same way -- no pleasant click of the button -- just kinda dead.

Just an updates on temps - since mowing to Windows, and using Coretemp to measure, at boot it's about 25 degrees and even after long XBMC sessions it's rarely over 40. Peaks at about 43 as far as I can see, but average running in the lower 30s with normal usage. Case is only ever midly warm to touch.

(under OE it gets quite warm, power management is clearly not as good for some reason)

Really pretty great in all.
(2012-06-15, 04:37)bossanova808 Wrote: Just an updates on temps - since mowing to Windows, and using Coretemp to measure, at boot it's about 25 degrees and even after long XBMC sessions it's rarely over 40. Peaks at about 43 as far as I can see, but average running in the lower 30s with normal usage. Case is only ever midly warm to touch.

(under OE it gets quite warm, power management is clearly not as good for some reason)

Really pretty great in all.

That is great! Big Grin Love it! Nod
bossanova808 I been playing with the Suspend (sleep) mode. So my shutdown function is now sleep and it is really amazing how fast it wakes up....

I guess I been old school with pc's since I known it's always good for them to start fresh all the time.

But I guess now once in a while a good shut off will refresh the OS....

It's also so cool that at wake up it scans my library for new stuff as I have it set to do that every time...

I am hooked now to the sleep mode....

No more boot of windows... LOL

Thanx...
Yeah for me I suspend during the day (or my family does) then I power off at night. No dramas, super fast, all good.
do you use a script to restart xbmc after resuming from sleep under windows?
i've experienced some weird jitters in both sd and hd videos after resuming from sleep under windows7 - thats the main reason i switched to linux (and later OE).
If that windows bug was fixed, i would most likely give windows another try.
No. Very occasionally something weird happens and I just reboot but it's maybe 1 in 20 at most. Be easy to restart xbmc though, via event ghost or similar. I use oe with nvidia and win with amd. In the end for me I just care about xbmc and particularly playback. Underlying os is just a detail...
Ran on my first problem now with sleep... left it over night and this morning no sound had to do a reboot... ok back to just shutting down completely...
I can wait the 20 Seconds... Smile

Yeah I reckon shutdown at night, sleep during day is the best combo. Very rare to have to reboot in a day.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SILENT Streacom FC8 Build, A6-35000