[AppleTV2] Time capsule: is a good choice?
WiFi is never better. 300MBit/s is the brutto data rate. Netto its about 120MBit/s - 150MBit/s when using 2 channels. Normally one uses one channel only (150MBit/s brutto) due to crowded air - and this means about 60 - 70MBit/s netto data rate.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hey Memphiz, appreciate the explanation. Do you think though that in uncrowded air and connecting at 5GHZ, with signal -51, noise -97 and rate 65 that the rate could be closer to 150Mbit/s.
Macmini Server 2011 i7 Quad Core, OS 10.8.2, Amp Onkyo TX-SR308 USB WD drives 3x2TB TV Samsung Plasma 720p EyeTV Integration
There are only 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Memphiz Wrote:WiFi is never better. 300MBit/s is the brutto data rate. Netto its about 120MBit/s - 150MBit/s when using 2 channels. Normally one uses one channel only (150MBit/s brutto) due to crowded air - and this means about 60 - 70MBit/s netto data rate.

So, why, in your opinion, the user AlessandroSS have best performance with wifi and not with ethernet?
I used InSSIDer to check and use channels that are not in use there. It's a place with few houses around then I found out that no one was using the 5GHz channels, probably is the reason that I can get very good bandwidth. Surely in crowded places you will face the reduction that Memphiz explained, try to analyze the air with inSSIder to check if WiFi would a good choice in your place.
ImageImage
Benjopa Wrote:So, why, in your opinion, the user AlessandroSS have best performance with wifi and not with ethernet?

luck on the air (as he stated - not much wlan traffic going on on his side) and ethernet might suck when incompatible or crappy ethernet hardware is used ...

There are multiple users which state that wifi works better for them. But most of the time the wifi just won't cut it...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
I want to reup this topic only to say that now that i have bought the Time capsule i can answer to my question:

The Time Capsule is not a good choice for streaming to Apple TV, but a terrible choice, because it is full of bug and lag that compromise the experience to use it. In my opinion i have done a terrible mistake buying it, so "beware of the Time capsule".
Today I setup a network in which there were 3 atv2 (firmware 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4.4) and 3 Time Capsule (generation 1, gen 3 and gen 4). All atv2 were connected to TC on ethernet via afp protocol.
In a combination of atv2 and TC gen 4 there was a problem. When viewing 720p movies constantly there was a "buffering".
Time Capsule gen.3 was a source of problems - it caused problems when using with any atv2. At connection of any atv2 to TC gen.1 or gen.2 the problem disappeared.
Thus to use atv2 and Time Capsule gen.4 (A1409) it is impossible!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AppleTV2] Time capsule: is a good choice?0