Where to start
Question 
I am a complete outsider to the world of Home CInema's PC's however I have worked IT for a while and have finally got a spare PC to use to my movies as well as a NAS drive which has all my DVD's stored as VOB files (Ripped using DVD Shrink) .

I really like the look of XBMC, but I am a little confused as to the best was to use it, at the moment the Pc that will be running it is a Windows 7 64Bit OS, this pc will be doing nothing but being the home cinema. So my questions really are, is it best to just run the windows version of XBMC on the system or is it more worth while to install linux? Or can XBMCbuntu be installed straight on the hard disk and run from there?

What i am looking for is the best preformance that I can get from the system its a decent PC dual core 2.0GHz intel chipset with 4GB DDR2 Ram and a 512MB nvidea graphics card, it reall boils down to what will be the best soultion really.

Thanks for your help!
Operating system won't make a huge difference to XBMC but you may need windows for some services external to XBMC such as netflix (or so i've been led to believe).

If you're just starting out with XBMC then keep windows to see how you like XBMC then move on from there if required.

The graphics should help the most as a lot of video can be hardware accelerated.

In case you hadn't seen the excellent wiki articles for getting started, here they are:
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...tart_Guide

Finally, welcome to XBMC (and the forum)

Flirc now has a forum: forum.flirc.tv
Thanks Pseudo7. I am have download the Windows version and will give it a go tonight. I looking forward to XBMC solving my current media headache!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Where to start0