• 3(current)
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform
Ok.

Doing tests for playing the FLAC 2.0 files, i've finaly understood how i've been tricked with selected device, as i've again had no audio (but not for long). When i install an XBMC with new AE, when previous installed version was a version without the new AE, in audio settings i have :
"wasapi : VSX-921" for audio, and VIA for passthrough. So i've changed only passthrough to correct, but no audio...
Until i realise that i had to wait, for the drivers name begin to scroll, and discover that the full name of the driver, which was "wasapi : VSX-921 speakers" !!!!!!!!!!
It was my fault, reading to fast only "wasapi" + "VSX-921" and thinking it was Ok, without realsing "HDMI" was missing !

FLAC 2.0 file : When i tested again on my Popcorn C-200, i've noticed that audio had also zero channels on my receiver (front pannel) in the begining, but after a few seconds (3-4) audio pops-up...
Finaly, XBMC behave the same, except that when debug is enable, i have to wait even more (at least 5 seconds), and i've always stop the file after 2-3s, seing no channels on the front pannel of receiver, as with all the others files it's "instantaneous".
Finaly, no issue also with this one, and the only true issue with XBMC was the one we first think it wasn't XBMC.

Glad things are looking a little brighter then. Yes, we add the device connection type to the "friendly" name for the device, e.g. speakers, headphones, HDMI, etc.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
I have some problems with AE. Latest nightly plays all the audio formats correctly, but "steals" audio for all other applications. Just like tjcinnamon explains here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...7&page=139

With XBMC opened all other aplications are muted, including MPC-HC launched as a external player. Turning off exclusive mode makes the video jumpy and without audio. Using Win7 x64, ATI 6670, Yamaha RX-V671 through HDMI with 7.1 speakers.

I've also noticed that some 7.1 tracks are detected as 5.1 in the OSD, but sent correctly as 7.1 to the reciever.
(2012-05-17, 16:30)fems Wrote: I have some problems with AE. Latest nightly plays all the audio formats correctly, but "steals" audio for all other applications. Just like tjcinnamon explains here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...7&page=139

With XBMC opened all other aplications are muted, including MPC-HC launched as a external player. Turning off exclusive mode makes the video jumpy and without audio. Using Win7 x64, ATI 6670, Yamaha RX-V671 through HDMI with 7.1 speakers.

I've also noticed that some 7.1 tracks are detected as 5.1 in the OSD, but sent correctly as 7.1 to the reciever.

AE uses Exclusive mode so it can bitstream HD audio formats like EAC3/DTS-MA/TrueHD. That mode means XBMC sets the audio devices format to the exclusion of other applications. If you want to use an external player or have XBMC surrender the audio device to other apps or system sounds use DirectSound instead of WASAPI. tjcinnamon's comment refers to Daniela's HD patch which uses the same mode as required for these formats, but the same holds true for AE.

If you are having issues with DirectSound pls post a Debug Log.

The initial scan for a tag may not be 100% accurate re: 5.1 or 7.1, that hasn't changed from the original.
System: XBMC HTPC with HDMI WASAPI & AudioEngine - Denon  AVR-3808CI  - Denon DVD-5900 Universal Player  - Denon DCM-27 CD-Changer
- Sony BDP-S580 Blu-Ray  - X-Box 360  - Android tablet wireless remote - 7.1 Streem/Axiom/Velodyne Surround System
If I have been able to help feel free to add to my reputation +/- below - thanks!
(2012-05-16, 02:33)jayhawk785 Wrote: awesome thanks Smile my processors thank you!

The log spam if you shut down your receiver has been fixed as of the next nightly, but you'll likely need to restart the stream or switch devices if the handshake doesn't occur when you turn the receiver back on (depends on your hardware). Thx for bringing that to my attention.
(2012-05-17, 16:41)DDDamian Wrote: AE uses Exclusive mode so it can bitstream HD audio formats like EAC3/DTS-MA/TrueHD. That mode means XBMC sets the audio devices format to the exclusion of other applications. If you want to use an external player or have XBMC surrender the audio device to other apps or system sounds use DirectSound instead of WASAPI. tjcinnamon's comment refers to Daniela's HD patch which uses the same mode as required for these formats, but the same holds true for AE.

If you are having issues with DirectSound pls post a debug log.

The initial scan for a tag may not be 100% accurate re: 5.1 or 7.1, that hasn't changed from the original.

Using DirectSound produces the same result than WASAPI without exclusive mode. Heavy frameskip and no audio.

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2726

(2012-05-18, 14:21)fems Wrote:
(2012-05-17, 16:41)DDDamian Wrote: AE uses Exclusive mode so it can bitstream HD audio formats like EAC3/DTS-MA/TrueHD. That mode means XBMC sets the audio devices format to the exclusion of other applications. If you want to use an external player or have XBMC surrender the audio device to other apps or system sounds use DirectSound instead of WASAPI. tjcinnamon's comment refers to Daniela's HD patch which uses the same mode as required for these formats, but the same holds true for AE.

If you are having issues with DirectSound pls post a debug log.

Using DirectSound produces the same result than WASAPI without exclusive mode. Heavy frameskip and no audio.

http://www.xbmclogs.com/show.php?id=2726

Ah yes, should have mentioned - there is a bug right now with DS because we initialize the sound device before initializing the window, and DS needs a handle to the window first. It's something I'll fix shortly (just a little tricky as I have to avoid breaking Linux). A workaround until then is to launch XBMC, go to Settings>System>Audio Options, and switch to WASAPI, then to DS again. I'll post here when that is fixed.
(2012-05-18, 14:45)DDDamian Wrote: Ah yes, should have mentioned - there is a bug right now with DS because we initialize the sound device before initializing the window, and DS needs a handle to the window first. It's something I'll fix shortly (just a little tricky as I have to avoid breaking Linux). A workaround until then is to launch XBMC, go to Settings>System>Audio Options, and switch to WASAPI, then to DS again. I'll post here when that is fixed.

I couldn't make it work. Everytime DS is selected, no audio and heavy frameskip when playing the DTS-HD MA sample. I'll try to use DS as audio output device and WASAPI as passthrough output device, maybe this way it'll only use the audio devices exclusively when something using passthrough is played.

This is one of the 7.1 files wrongly detected as 5.1. Shows as "Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA) ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 1536 kb/s" in the OSD when internally is detected as "dtsHD stream detected (8 channels, 48000Hz, 16bit BE, period: 8192)".
(2012-05-18, 16:20)fems Wrote:
(2012-05-18, 14:45)DDDamian Wrote: Ah yes, should have mentioned - there is a bug right now with DS because we initialize the sound device before initializing the window, and DS needs a handle to the window first. It's something I'll fix shortly (just a little tricky as I have to avoid breaking Linux). A workaround until then is to launch XBMC, go to Settings>System>Audio Options, and switch to WASAPI, then to DS again. I'll post here when that is fixed.

I couldn't make it work. Everytime DS is selected, no audio and heavy frameskip when playing the DTS-HD MA sample. I'll try to use DS as audio output device and WASAPI as passthrough output device, maybe this way it'll only use the audio devices exclusively when something using passthrough is played.

This is one of the 7.1 files wrongly detected as 5.1. Shows as "Stream #0:1[0x1100]: Audio: dts (DTS-HD MA) ([134][0][0][0] / 0x0086), 48000 Hz, 5.1(side), s16, 1536 kb/s" in the OSD when internally is detected as "dtsHD stream detected (8 channels, 48000Hz, 16bit BE, period: 8192)".

The info shown on the OSD is the initial probe info from DVDPlayer/ffmpeg, so it hasn't hit AE yet at that point.

Perhaps I should clarify: DS cannot play DTS-MA/TrueHD audio - in fact the best it can handle is AC3. I suggested it as it won't take exclusive control of the audio device when you go to an external player. You can't have it both ways - HD audio in XBMC and use an external player, at least for now.

The info in the OSD is based on an initial probe of the file by DVDPlayer/ffmpeg, so isn't what AE reads. But yeah, it should be updated at some point.
The issue of DirectSound failing to initialize at start-up has been fixed, along with some performance improvements for DS. The next nightlies will include these fixes.
(2012-05-17, 21:07)DDDamian Wrote:
(2012-05-16, 02:33)jayhawk785 Wrote: awesome thanks Smile my processors thank you!

The log spam if you shut down your receiver has been fixed as of the next nightly, but you'll likely need to restart the stream or switch devices if the handshake doesn't occur when you turn the receiver back on (depends on your hardware). Thx for bringing that to my attention.

thanks for fixin--all is well!
I've been searching for a hour+ now and can't seem to find the dl link for AE.

Can someone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks
You'll find them here http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/
(2012-05-21, 20:49)steelman1991 Wrote: You'll find them here http://mirrors.xbmc.org/nightlies/win32/

Thanks. So i assume AE is included in the WIN32 nightly build?
Yes it is.
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[AudioEngine] Support for AE on Windows platform4