1st HTPC build
Hello I'm planning on building my first HTPC. I want to use an i7 3770s cpu. I was going to use silverstone gd05b as my case. For motherboard, I plan to use asus p8z77-M.

Several questions:
a) I noticed many are using ASROck mobo, any pros/cons as to ASRock over ASUS?
b) I just read in another i7 build thread that they'll need to use crucial RAM instead of Gskill if planning on using shuriken cooler due to height. that was for mini ITX, is that true also with the mobo I choose?
c)
I think a lot of people use the ASRock motherboards as they are perfect for a htpc setup due to the option of most of then supporting booting from an S5 state.

I got one purely for the fact that it was the cheapest mini itx board.at the time in the uk with hdmi and can highly recommend them.
(2012-05-22, 19:48)shizmd Wrote: Hello I'm planning on building my first HTPC. I want to use an i7 3770s cpu. I was going to use silverstone gd05b as my case. For motherboard, I plan to use asus p8z77-M.

Several questions:
b) I just read in another i7 build thread that they'll need to use crucial RAM instead of Gskill if planning on using shuriken cooler due to height. that was for mini ITX, is that true also with the mobo I choose?
c)

Dear God, Why?
My HTPC AMD A8-3870K CPU/ SilverStone ML03B/ASRock MB-A75M /Seasonic SS-400ET/Corsair XMS3 4GB
A) I like ASRock because they offer just as much if not more than the ASUS and cost less. Great Value for the money.

B) The Memory does not matter since you probably wont be overclocking it. heck, some here under clock it. But If you are using a WIDE cooler, then you need smaller height ram.

C) I agree.
(2012-05-22, 19:48)shizmd Wrote: Hello I'm planning on building my first HTPC. I want to use an i7 3770s cpu. I was going to use silverstone gd05b as my case. For motherboard, I plan to use asus p8z77-M.
Excellent choice for CPU and mobo! It'll transcode blu-ray file in no time.........

(2012-05-22, 19:48)shizmd Wrote: Several questions:
It'll work the same way........

(2012-05-22, 19:48)shizmd Wrote: b) I just read in another i7 build thread that they'll need to use crucial RAM instead of Gskill if planning on using shuriken cooler due to height. that was for mini ITX, is that true also with the mobo I choose?
You can find the memory for Asus P8Z77-M here- Guaranteed-compatible upgrades for your ASUS P8Z77-M and this one "Part Number: BLT2KIT4G3D1869DT1TX0" should work.....
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
1st HTPC build0