"large" movie trailers crashing
Lightbulb 
i have the "pimped" xbmc released last week. not sure of the exact date. anyway apple trailers have always worked fine regardless of resolution.
last week i changed the system to be all-wireless. everything works well (weather, file streaming from pc, etc etc) but i noticed that when attempting to watch "large" movie trailers the trailer freezes and locks the xbox after a short time. it is not a buffering issue as there is no further network activity, it's just dead, and requires a reboot. small and medium-sized trailers work fine. i also streamed a full-sized divx movie from my pc for about 30 minutes with no trouble, so the problem seems to be limited to trailers.

is there a problem with error handling in the python script or mplayer? remember, locking up is never a good response to a problem.

i will try and get the log up later today. any ideas?

update:
further experimenting has shown that it is not only large trailers, but more often so. also my wireless is 802.11g (54m).
hey this is a popular thread i see!. anyway, i would just like to update with my findings. i reduced all caches except lan and internet video to 256k and the trailers all ran. however they were naturally a bit choppy.
i increased the video caches to 1m and they ran mostly smoothly and for a good while ran perfectly. just when i thought it was licked however, after about 6 or so videos it locked up again.

it does seem better though. i use xbmc exclusively in 720p mode. i assume the problem would be worse in 1080i mode.

feature idea: how about some preset caching profiles?. large for those with 100m lan and low screen resolutions, and smaller for those using hdtv modes. then perhaps one "custom" one for your personal preference. the xbox dram size is generally fixed and xbmc now does have issues with memory overhead. perhaps a more flexible approach would help.
i've noticed the same thing with the 07-14-2005 build. i use my xbox mostly to watch stuff i record from tv with my tv card. the shows are 704x576 5000kbps mpeg2's. i stream the shows from my computer usin smb and every since i updated to the 07-14-2005 build, the xbox freezes ever now and then and the only thing i can do is restart. when it freezes it's completely dead, i can't even ftp to my xbox anymore.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"large" movie trailers crashing0