help setting up my tv show library
hi, i am new to xmbc and i want it to parse all my tv shows,
they are currently all in the same folder with their scene names etc:
Once.Upon.a.Time.S01E18.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION
Suburgatory.S01E19.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION
House.S08E20.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION
just like that,
i have read in the wiki that every show needs to be in a folder for itself,
but that's not the way i want it organized (the boxee app im coming from know how to recognize my tv shows just like that)
what do i need to do / change in order to see my tv shows?
Grab a copy of theRenamer at http://www.therenamer.com/ and it will be a drag & drop affair, whole folders done at once if you like.

Here's a helpful link with a bit of background on XBMC and setting it up with theRenamer.

http://lifehacker.com/5536963/the-ultima...dia-center

and here's another good read...

http://lifehacker.com/5900626/create-a-k...lete-guide

and don't forget the wiki's located at the top of each XBMC page, the quick start guide will have you in the depths quicker than a bunny.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...he_Library

Welcome to the forums.
i wish to be able to get xmbc to recognize all my tv shows, in their current names and structure,
this is really a deal breaker for me...
do you know of such a method?

edit:
what i mean by that is,
almost all of my content is like TV.Show.Name.S03E14
so i want xmbc to understand at least shows that are formatted like that,
with all epidoes of all shows in the same folder
XBMC should recognize all your videos out of the box... in filemode, you can play them, done deal.

To scrape them into your library and get all the extras from the online database you're at the mercy of their naming convention, and not of any media devices software. Boxee as I understand was a branch off XBMC and the set-up should not be unfamiliar to you, there are reg edits to help issues... but instead of twisting the media player into a format that is not conducive to future builds, I recommend you use theRenamer whihc uses the same databases to scrape movies and TV shows... so if it scrapes inside of that program everything will go nice a smoothly for you.... (drag & drop, nothing gets easier)

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=TV_...Library%29

XBMC likes movies in their own folder.... named as the folder "(movie_name (date))"

XBMC likes TV Shows as listed http://thetvdb.com/?tab=advancedsearch

XBMC doesn't do a lot of thinking it's challenged that way..
There is no reason to stick to scene rules, especially when you can use an automated tool like Sickbeard which does all the heavy lifting for you.
"Once.Upon.a.Time.S01E18.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION" = no/sometimes works, but not always

"Once.Upon.a.Time.S01E18" = yes
i have so far only been able for it to recognize
it using their default scheme: once upon a time\Once.Upon.a.Time.S01E18

i am ok with the title changing from:
"Once.Upon.a.Time.S01E18.720p.HDTV.X264-DIMENSION"
to:
"Once.Upon.a.Time.S01E18"

but i want all episodes from all tv shows in the same folder,
i tried reading in the wiki about changing the naming scheme using "advancedsettings.xml"
but couldn't understand it...
Another thing to look out for is that some show will also have episode names: eg: Once Upon a Time.S01E18.ABCD

ABCD being the show name.

This will then only be shown when browsing your media etc

Some shows have no name so all you'll see is Once Upon a Time.S01E18

If so (bit of a manual process) I then like to add on Once Upon a Time.S01E18.Episode 18

I also always advise to use the following folder structure:

TV Shows
L
Once Upon a Time
L----- Season 1
L----- Season 2

(always use season folders as you never know when a new season come out Wink )

Additionally I think that you have . between each word may have an impact so change Once.Upon.a. Time.S01E18 to Once Upon a Time.S01E18. I reckon this may help with scrapping.

Google "Lupas Rename 2000" as it's a very good batch file renamer with lots of options. So instead of manully taking out the . in a tv season you can do it all in 1 - it's an old app but works fine in Win 7.
Confusion is just a state of mind.
(2012-09-22, 23:54)guynaa Wrote: i have read in the wiki that every show needs to be in a folder for itself
1) Yes, that is because it's true...
(2012-09-22, 23:54)guynaa Wrote: but that's not the way i want it organized (the boxee app im coming from know how to recognize my tv shows just like that)
2) Sounds like XBMC is not for you...
(2012-09-22, 23:54)guynaa Wrote: what do i need to do / change in order to see my tv shows?
3) See number one above.
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
ok, i give up...
is there an automatic solution to taking all my current tv show episodes and organizing them inside folders?
(tvrename, doesn't do that job)
sickbeard does that and even more
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?
I guess my message about theRenamer was just air gasping.. message # 2
No magic solution.

TVRenamer does just what it says on the tin.

As far as I know no app is inteligent enough to guess what your tv show/season is and how you want it collated.

So...I reckon the only solution is:

Spend some time moving all you tv show episodes into the folder structure I mentioned. Use the lupas renamer app to remove some spurious character or words or to enforce the correct file naming convention, then use the TVRenamer app to ensure you have the full/recognisable tvshow/filename.

You only have to doe this once, then you are done for that show/season.

It's not hard and if you really want to have things shown or picked up properly then it will be time well spent.
Confusion is just a state of mind.
Check out SickBeard, its the best! but you will have to do some groundwork ie at minimum creating individual folders for your TV shows and putting the files in there. Season folders are not neccessary - that is just a user preference option.
/TVshows/
--/House/
--/Sesame.Street/
My first HTPC build
My UnRaid Server
Kingston rebates and ASUS warranties are WORTHLESS FRAUDS
If your files use the scene names you don't have to put them in sesperate folders before sick beard process them.
Sick beard wil make the needed season folders.
Only thing you need to do is to add the shows you got to sick beard list.
Sick beard will create the folders for every TV show.
Then manual post process all your TV shows even if they are in 1 big messy folder.
LibreElec Kodi | Aeon MQ ?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
help setting up my tv show library0