Win [ADDED in Frodo] XBMC - Autoplay next video
Hi,

I know this has been discussed before, but I am amazed that video files won't play consecutively through to the last file in a folder.

To me this is a basic function of a media player, and it is how we use our current device every day.
I realise that I can choose 'play from here' in the context menu, however this is not available in the otherwise excellent XBMC Remote for Android. The context menu also presents a problem for my current remote control system.

My wife was very excited about seeing all of her TV shows listed in the XBMC remote panel, but the fact that she can only play one episode at a time will be a dealbreaker!

If there was a global setting to 'Autoplay next item' (as there is for music files), this would solve the issue with XBMC remote, as well as make XBMC, a much more useable system.

It is all very well that there are so many fantastic features for XBMC, but can we please fix this fundamental issue?

(If there is a fix for this - I have not been able to find it)

***UPDATE:

For those just finding this thread, there is a link to a full version of XBMC Eden with a working patch for this feature on page 4 of this thread! See the post from teepean.

Cheers
playlist?
Context menu--> Play from here
Press 'p' on the show folder.
So you're basically asking for a specific "play from here" button in the XBMC Andriod remote? Because you just said that you know XBMC has this feature already.
Thank you for your responses.

As far as I can tell, using a playlist presents the same problems. I cannot choose for example, to start watching episode 15 of a series and have the player continue to play through to the end of the season.

The whole point of XBMC is to be used by users watching a TV set, following the '10 foot' rule. We are not sitting at a computer with a keyboard in front of us, we are in a home theatre.

The 'Play From Here' feature is a half thought through compromise, while it works, I am reliant on the context menu - which can not be accessed by XBMC Remote. I am not even sure you can do it from an MCE remote - please correct me if I am wrong.

Can someone tell me why there is resistance to having a global consecutive play option?

I would welcome a comment from a developer about this - to me it is a MAJOR flaw and is preventing this software to be TRULY lounge room ready.
(2012-05-29, 02:17)Ned Scott Wrote: So you're basically asking for a specific "play from here" button in the XBMC Andriod remote? Because you just said that you know XBMC has this feature already.

Thanks Ned,

No, I am asking that the root of the problem be changed. A 'Play from here' button in XBMC Remote would solve one of my immediate problems, but then I have implement this in my touchscreen controllers and multifunction remotes.

Wouldn't it be better if we have an option in XBMC settings to just always play continously, and those that only want to watch one file at a time can turn off this option?

(2012-05-29, 02:31)shelby67 Wrote: Thank you for your responses.

As far as I can tell, using a playlist presents the same problems. I cannot choose for example, to start watching episode 15 of a series and have the player continue to play through to the end of the season.

The whole point of XBMC is to be used by users watching a TV set, following the '10 foot' rule. We are not sitting at a computer with a keyboard in front of us, we are in a home theatre.

The 'Play From Here' feature is a half thought through compromise, while it works, I am reliant on the context menu - which can not be accessed by XBMC Remote. I am not even sure you can do it from an MCE remote - please correct me if I am wrong.

Can someone tell me why there is resistance to having a global consecutive play option?

I would welcome a comment from a developer about this - to me it is a MAJOR flaw and is preventing this software to be TRULY lounge room ready.
(2012-05-29, 02:17)Ned Scott Wrote: So you're basically asking for a specific "play from here" button in the XBMC Andriod remote? Because you just said that you know XBMC has this feature already.

Thanks Ned,

No, I am asking that the root of the problem be changed. A 'Play from here' button in XBMC Remote would solve one of my immediate problems, but then I have implement this in my touchscreen controllers and multifunction remotes.

Wouldn't it be better if we have an option in XBMC settings to just always play continously, and those that only want to watch one file at a time can turn off this option?

i don´t believe that many users would make use of that. it´s not too much work to press down and selct once to start a new episode (every media player behaves like that)
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
Hi Phil,

Every SOFTWARE media player behaves like that, but every HARDWARE media player does not. All of the ones I have seen will play files in a folder continously.

XBMC is intended to be the front end for a loungeroom or home theatre environment, running on a hardware device such as a HTPC or an Apple TV. Apple TV was designed to be used without a keyboard! That is why I hate the idea pressing 'P' to play all files in a folder.

It should work like a hardware media player.

From my previous searches - there are a lot of people that want this. It is available for music files (makes sense), why not for TV shows? I don't get it.

I've never had an issue using a remote for getting to the contextual menu (and I use the Apple remote a lot). As for this being default behavior, I'm not sure about that. Maybe if there was a setting so that continuous play could be turned on or off. Often I play single files from my download folder, and hate it when a player auto plays the next file.

Come to think of it, we do have a setting were this would be perfect. In XBMC's settings you can change the default behavior for "select" (play, get info, etc). There we could possibly add "play from here" to be one of those options for select.
(2012-05-29, 05:20)Ned Scott Wrote: Come to think of it, we do have a setting were this would be perfect. In XBMC's settings you can change the default behavior for "select" (play, get info, etc). There we could possibly add "play from here" to be one of those options for select.

That would probably be a good solution, as it doesn't matter what method you are using to conttrol XBMC.

There are times when we watch one episode of a TV show, but this is usually the latest episode so will be the last in the folder.
We typically like to watch a series all the way through (or from where we left off) while we are doing other things so it is handy to just have the episodes keep rolling on.

I have never really looked at an Apple TV remote, what is the method getting the context menu?
As in, does it have to be mapped to a button or is it there by default?
which software/hardware player plays the next item from folder automatically? i don´t know any. and it would definitely annoy me.
something like this should be a advancedsettings.xml option, if it gets included.
just my personal opinion.
Donate: https://kodi.tv/contribute/donate (foundation), 146Gr48FqHM7TPB9q33HHv6uWpgQqdz1yk (BTC personal)
Estuary: Kodis new default skin - ExtendedInfo Script - KodiDevKit
(2012-05-28, 10:12)shelby67 Wrote: I realise that I can choose 'play from here' in the context menu, however this is not available in the otherwise excellent XBMC Remote for Android.

(2012-05-29, 02:31)shelby67 Wrote: The 'Play From Here' feature is a half thought through compromise, while it works, I am reliant on the context menu - which can not be accessed by XBMC Remote. I am not even sure you can do it from an MCE remote - please correct me if I am wrong.

Didn't take long to search 'XBMC Remote Android context menu' and find this -

(2012-05-07, 16:27)steelman1991 Wrote: Button called 'title' will take you to the context menu - top left on the 'arrow' pad

As for the MCE remote, I think it's mapped to the 'Title' button also.
(2012-05-29, 16:50)phil65 Wrote: which software/hardware player plays the next item from folder automatically? i don´t know any. and it would definitely annoy me.
something like this should be a advancedsettings.xml option, if it gets included.

Hi Phil,

Well I believe Apple TV does for a start. Add to that:

Popcorn Hour, MediaGate, AC Ryan, Astone, Zensonic, Beyonwiz.
Not sure about Xstreamer or Boxee.
(2012-05-29, 06:21)shelby67 Wrote: I have never really looked at an Apple TV remote, what is the method getting the context menu?
As in, does it have to be mapped to a button or is it there by default?

Holding down menu brings up the context menu.
(2012-05-30, 05:10)shelby67 Wrote:
(2012-05-29, 16:50)phil65 Wrote: which software/hardware player plays the next item from folder automatically? i don´t know any. and it would definitely annoy me.

Hi Phil,

Well I believe Apple TV does for a start. Add to that:

Popcorn Hour, MediaGate, AC Ryan, Astone, Zensonic, Beyonwiz.
Not sure about Xstreamer or Boxee.

I just installed XBMC and to my horror couldn't find any way to play files continuously. Searching for help led me to this thread.

IMHO PopcornHour's method has been best I've encountered:

Press play and all the files in folder starting from selected file will play continuously

Press select and only the selected file will play.

I have kids and want to just fire and forget.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[ADDED in Frodo] XBMC - Autoplay next video3