Installing XBMC on ATV2 with 5.x un-jailbreaks?
So I used Seas0npass to Jailbreak a new in box ATV2 to 5.x.

After I hooked it up I had the FC icon for the Settings icon to verify that it was Jailbroken. I ssh'ed into the unit and followed the instructions on the wiki here

Substituting the link that is listed in the sticky to get the deb package.

All went according to plan.

Rebooted the device. When it came back up, it was no longer jailbroken. No XBMC installed and can't ssh back into the unit. I had to re-jailbreak it.

Any ideas?

Ok... so this time I re-jailbroke the ATV2.

Booted up with no network and verified it by seeing the FC icon again.

Hooked up to the network and then I did the following.

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
reboot

Verified it was still jailbroken and on the network.

apt-get install com.nito.updatebegone
apt-get install com.nito.nitotv
reboot

Verified it was still jailbroken and on the network.

Then I followed the procedure on the wiki for 5.x to install XBMC and now it's there and happily running.

The only thing I can think of is somehow the box dialed home either on setup wizard part (activation server perhaps) or somehow in the background before I finished. I'm not sure.

I saw similar behavior but not convinced its XBMC related.
Seas0npass, installed NitoTv, switched over to HDMI and saw the FC Icon
Using NitoTV tried to perform apt update & it appeared to hang (too much cydia traffic?)
Rebooted without waiting for update to complete
Unit took a lot longer than usual to start up and was not jailbroken when it did - well the FC Icon gone, Nito TV gone, ssh gone
Ran Seas0npass again and have not been able to reproduce this.
Yeah... I'm not convinced it was a XBMC thing. But I had it happen twice. Could always tell it was going to be a bust as it did take longer to boot.

I'm not sure if my booting it the first time after jailbreaking without network or installing updatebegone helped or not.

Either way, I have the unit running now with XBMC and tlaking to my MySQL server so life is happy again. Smile

I have a 2nd ATV2 on 4.4.4 to do at some point, but going to hold off for a while to let this one run for while.

I had this happen last night after I installed Exposed vnc server..
I had the same thing happen post-jailbreak and pre-XBMC install. The first thing I did after ssh-ing in was apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Everything was fine when I restarted the AppleTV process, but the jailbreak appeared to be gone after I rebooted. ssh wasn't even running after the reboot. The current version of seas0npass may need some additional tweaking.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Installing XBMC on ATV2 with 5.x un-jailbreaks?0