• 9(current)
xbmc minified as a server?
Firstly, why do you say that Frodo is way too unstable? I've been running the same Aug 6 nightly on my Linux, Windows, and ATV2 boxes since.. Aug 6 without a single crash. The Linux box is of course the minified server. Due to ongoing changes in the code the database schema changes almost daily and therefore you'll HAVE to use the same version across all clients or they will NOT be able to share the same database: SIMPLE.

I'm not sure where you're coming from with all this unneeded dependencies either.. If you're using a modern linux package and if it REALLY bothers you , you can add all the dependencies through the package manager, compile the binary that you need, then remove the unneeded dependencies. But really, you've installed maybe 10M worth of extra files.

Complain if you want or take all the help that's been offered in this thread, I think we've been pretty informative..
Manxam, Did you even read my last post properly? I already know each new release uses a new Database as the structure will be modified on each release, I was mentioning it because i was unaware off the version i had in conjunction with the clients, stating what a waste off time it was as a personal note, sheez. Also congratulations on your frodo success. BUT GUESS WHAT, not everyone has your setup MATE! I've experienced random reboots, Airplay crashes and occasional sound distortion on the latest nightly. It's not stable, otherwise we would have a stable release wouldn't we? and maybe you have been informative, but again some off us are still on Eden which has been completely unsupported now (considering the first source from vajonam doesn't work anymore), I also asked legitimate questions, not how to build the lib file you keep referring too. I asked about the future development and what too expect etc. not a bashing reply that completely ignored the real questions that i asked. also you're telling me a 200MB+ bin or lib file is suitable for a headless server, that should only need json, database and most server based classes? let alone trying to compile each time finding out something is missing that shouldn't even be used in regards to a server. eg.

Code:
checking for libmpeg2 soname... libmpeg2.so.0
checking for libmp3lame soname... /usr/bin/ld: mode elf_x86_64
checking for X11
configure: == ProjectM enabled. ==
checking for sftp_tell64 in -lssh... no
configure: error: == Could not find libssh. ==
and that's just the bottom part that it got up too..

@edhen: libssh-dev is listed in the dependencies for building xbmc. (in docs/README.ubuntu, at least)

I could use some guidance too; I successfully built the shared lib libxbmc.so and the xbmcVideoLibraryScan.
And I'm able to run the app using: 'XBMC_BIN_HOME=/usr/local/lib/xbmc XBMC_HOME=/usr/local/share/xbmc ./xbmcVideoLibraryScan'
(called from ~/xbmc/xbmc, ~/xbmc is my git clone)

But the app segfaults as soon as I give the command to update the library using curl.
(curl -i -X POST -H "Content-Type: application/json" -d '{"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.Scan", "id": "1"}' http://127.0.0.1:8080/jsonrpc)

Last 3 entries in the xbmc.log with debugging enabled:
18:16:18 T:3005213552 DEBUG: JSONRPC: Incoming request: {"jsonrpc": "2.0", "method": "VideoLibrary.Scan", "id": "1"}
18:16:18 T:3005213552 DEBUG: JSONRPC: Calling videolibrary.scan
18:16:18 T:2850306928 NOTICE: Thread CVideoInfoScanner start, auto delete: false

I tried running the app in gdb; but the only thing it tought me was that it crashed in libpthread; which wasn't very helpfull to me.

It's a VM with Ubuntu 11.10 Desktop, and xbmc runs fine; can access my mysql library; with content from nfs.
It scrapes my library as it should and listens to the curl command.
Had a similar segfault in VM with Ubuntu 12.04.1 Server though.

Any thoughts on how to resolve this issue?
Dont get me wrong, I just did a quick compile to nit pick lol, but i did compile it fine, my main concern is that i don't need the Frodo version as off yet, but unfortunately there's no Eden working versions either. So its either I play the waiting game, or dig through the code my self (Which i seriously don't have time to do).
RudolfR: try a basic http and ignore JSON for a sec and see if it still crashes. JSON is still kind of uppity in XBMC. I use the following:

curl --get "http://xbmc:xbmc@localhost:8080/xbmcCmds/xbmcHttp?command=ExecBuiltIn&parameter=XBMC.updatelibrary(video)"
@manxam: Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it doesn't seem to work.

I get:
<html><head><title>File not found</title></head><body>File not found</body></html>

I doubt the problem lies in JSON btw; because it also crashes if I enable library update on xbmc-startup.

Awesome! I found it; I had to set <backgroundupdate>true</backgroundupdate>
for both libraries.

I guess the updater dialog expects a window to be present. :-)

Looks like the old API is broken? That's a shame, that breaks sickbeard update functionality; which was the point. Rofl
Need to revert to an older commit; don't know which one...
As stated above, I'm using Aug 6 nightly and JSON and HTTP API both work fine. I have SAB, Sickbeard, and Couchpotato all sending notification for update to xbmc(Server). The issue with you reverting to an early commit is trying to find one with a compatible database version to your clients...

The Aug 6 nightly uses database version 67. I went up a couple of days once and it had already moved to 69. I have no idea what version the database is currently using in HEAD.
Thanks for the reminder; I checked and my database version is still at 69.

I found the commit that removes the deprecated HTTP-API: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/af66...1cf7ad4e55

And reset my clone to a commit some time before that (just to be sure); configuring as I write. :-)

Now the reply is:

<html>
<li>OK
</html>

And sickbeard

Test notice sent successfully to xbmcserver:8080

Nod

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
(2012-10-19, 14:34)edhen Wrote: While it seams no one is offering much support and the one's that do are assuming we all have the same versions or server Distro's. Now... To follow on with my last post, I ended up using the compiled binary from the virtual server, But seriously, that was just a waste off time... Just because it references a DB with number 60 and not 64 like the other xbmc htpc's (so the server DB will never be in sync with the clients). Maybe its just too much too ask for, to have this setup too be fluid and straight forward... Will this ever be mainlined? IF so, will there be considerations in disregarding audio, dvd, airplay, lirc etc. packages/dependencies so compiling will be much easier? So far this is just too painful too get working, and cluttering the server with much unneeded dependencies seems like a real waist off time and space and causes more problems than its worth. While I do wish too see how the shared lib goes, unfortunately eden versions don't have that option, also the lib still requires alot too just compile as would the standard binary.... Would anyone wish too enlighten us on the future with this feature? and what we are expected to achieve in the end?
Also it would be good if Eden was still considered attention, seeing Frodo's official release wont be out for a long time..

Okay, let me try and tackle each of your points (as there are quite a few)

Quote:While it seams no one is offering much support and the one's that do are assuming we all have the same versions or server Distro's.
When I offered the code, I made no assumptions about distros, I provided instructions on how to build the sample and (I guess) the only assumption I made was that your distro meets the minimum requirements needed to build XBMC on Linux.

Quote:Now... To follow on with my last post, I ended up using the compiled binary from the virtual server, But seriously, that was just a waste off time... Just because it references a DB with number 60 and not 64 like the other xbmc htpc's (so the server DB will never be in sync with the clients). Maybe its just too much too ask for, to have this setup too be fluid and straight forward... Will this ever be mainlined?
Remember, the sample code is pretty stable (I think there has only been one change due to an API change in Frodo) and your perceived instability is due to the amount of active development being done on Frodo.

Quote:IF so, will there be considerations in disregarding audio, dvd, airplay, lirc etc. packages/dependencies so compiling will be much easier? So far this is just too painful too get working, and cluttering the server with much unneeded dependencies seems like a real waist off time and space and causes more problems than its worth.
There is no need to strip any functionality from the XBMC shared library as it depends on what you want to do on the server. You could use it to do a Video Library Scan or you could equally use it to play music via airplay. Your points regarding dependencies, cluttering the server, space, etc seem rather short sighted and ill informed. Have you ever actually looked at the number of package dependencies on a typical NAS or Linux distro?

Quote:While I do wish too see how the shared lib goes, unfortunately eden versions don't have that option, also the lib still requires alot too just compile as would the standard binary.... Would anyone wish too enlighten us on the future with this feature? and what we are expected to achieve in the end?
Also it would be good if Eden was still considered attention, seeing Frodo's official release wont be out for a long time..
When I offered the sample Video Library Scan code back in June, it was based on new functionality only available in Frodo (ie. The ability to build XBMC as a shared library) and given it is supported makes a better path moving forward IMO than custom patching XBMC to run as a server (See post #3 if you want Eden support).

Remember this is all about using a solution that meets your needs...
(2012-10-22, 12:44)RudolfR Wrote: Thanks for the reminder; I checked and my database version is still at 69.

I found the commit that removes the deprecated HTTP-API: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/af66...1cf7ad4e55

And reset my clone to a commit some time before that (just to be sure); configuring as I write. :-)

Now the reply is:

<html>
<li>OK
</html>

And sickbeard

Test notice sent successfully to xbmcserver:8080

Nod

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Glad to hear you have it working. That somewhat sucks about HTTP though as programs still rely on it as JSON still isn't 100% implemented and many programs still aren't updated for it. I guess that means I'll be sticking with my existing setup for some time. Oh well, I can't complain as it's all been working like clockwork Smile
Thanks alot vicbitter for hitting my questions straight on and clearing the air better. in regards too your last statement about post #3 is referring too...

Quote:Now... To follow on with my last post, I ended up using the compiled binary from the virtual server, But seriously, that was just a waste off time... Just because it references a DB with number 60 and not 64 like the other xbmc htpc's (so the server DB will never be in sync with the clients). Maybe its just too much too ask for, to have this setup too be fluid and straight forward... Will this ever be mainlined?

The binary I used was a previously compiled version off post 3, but i could no longer get it too work with --server after doing a recent git clone (hence why i resorted to the previously compiled binary from the virtual server when it was working). I guess the lib will make support for this more fluid too adapting with future builds, so i no longer have a problem with that. In the mean time Eden is a bit off a struggle and i guess wont be a problem once Frodo is officially released, so I will just wait till then too give it a shot again. In the mean time i might try openELEC 2.0 and see how that goes but I wont hold my breath, again thank you....

also
Quote:There is no need to strip any functionality from the XBMC shared library as it depends on what you want to do on the server. You could use it to do a Video Library Scan or you could equally use it to play music via airplay. Your points regarding dependencies, cluttering the server, space, etc seem rather short sighted and ill informed. Have you ever actually looked at the number of package dependencies on a typical NAS or Linux distro?

Do you realize NAS, Routers, TV's, and everything you come across that runs Linux uses the minimum it can for better stability, quicker loading etc. (more overhead, longer loading, this isn't rocket science, and every little bit counts) and correct me if i'm wrong but this also requires X11 to just be install on the system (No sever should have too endure this)? Do you think everyone when installing Ubunutu server etc clicks every dependency and programs when installing? NO, and considering this is a server that needs to be 99% stable due to clients depending on it, you would think, everything you can do too optimize the system will benefit as much as possible, Period.. if you or anyone else has a problem with the analogy, then please by all means inform every distro etc. to not worry about what we want or need during installation and just install it....

EDIT: I wont worry about trying openELEC 2.0 considering its only Eden with pvr support.
(2012-10-23, 05:09)edhen Wrote: Thanks alot vicbitter for hitting my questions straight on and clearing the air better. in regards too your last statement about post #3 is referring too...

The binary I used was a previously compiled version off post 3, but i could no longer get it too work with --server after doing a recent git clone (hence why i resorted to the previously compiled binary from the virtual server when it was working). I guess the lib will make support for this more fluid too adapting with future builds, so i no longer have a problem with that. In the mean time Eden is a bit off a struggle and i guess wont be a problem once Frodo is officially released, so I will just wait till then too give it a shot again. In the mean time i might try openELEC 2.0 and see how that goes but I wont hold my breath, again thank you....

also
Quote:There is no need to strip any functionality from the XBMC shared library as it depends on what you want to do on the server. You could use it to do a Video Library Scan or you could equally use it to play music via airplay. Your points regarding dependencies, cluttering the server, space, etc seem rather short sighted and ill informed. Have you ever actually looked at the number of package dependencies on a typical NAS or Linux distro?

Do you realize NAS, Routers, TV's, and everything you come across that runs Linux uses the minimum it can for better stability, quicker loading etc. (more overhead, longer loading, this isn't rocket science, and every little bit counts) and correct me if i'm wrong but this also requires X11 to just be install on the system (No sever should have too endure this)? Do you think everyone when installing Ubunutu server etc clicks every dependency and programs when installing? NO, and considering this is a server that needs to be 99% stable due to clients depending on it, you would think, everything you can do too optimize the system will benefit as much as possible, Period.. if you or anyone else has a problem with the analogy, then please by all means inform every distro etc. to not worry about what we want or need during installation and just install it....

EDIT: I wont worry about trying openELEC 2.0 considering its only Eden with pvr support.

Sorry for my poor choice of words regarding dependencies but let's not go off thread.

(2012-10-23, 05:09)edhen Wrote:

I think you're asking for a lot more than the original poster. Most of us were looking for a quick and dirty way to run XBMC headless on a full Ubuntu installation. This is that. Its not perfect but its Good Enough for the original need.

I'd love a version of the external library that didn't query non-exist sound drivers constantly, or that could support multiple DB versions, but I don't have the time to build it. Like most things open source, until its built by you, or someone else with similar needs, its not going to exist.
(2012-10-24, 04:45)schmoko Wrote:
(2012-10-23, 05:09)edhen Wrote:

I think you're asking for a lot more than the original poster. Most of us were looking for a quick and dirty way to run XBMC headless on a full Ubuntu installation. This is that. Its not perfect but its Good Enough for the original need.

I'd love a version of the external library that didn't query non-exist sound drivers constantly, or that could support multiple DB versions, but I don't have the time to build it. Like most things open source, until its built by you, or someone else with similar needs, its not going to exist.

Original poster? being who exactly?
(2012-10-24, 06:46)edhen Wrote:
(2012-10-24, 04:45)schmoko Wrote:
(2012-10-23, 05:09)edhen Wrote: Do you realize NAS, Routers, TV's, and everything you come across that runs Linux uses the minimum it can for better stability, quicker loading etc. (more overhead, longer loading, this isn't rocket science, and every little bit counts) and correct me if i'm wrong but this also requires X11 to just be install on the system (No sever should have too endure this)? Do you think everyone when installing Ubunutu server etc clicks every dependency and programs when installing? NO, and considering this is a server that needs to be 99% stable due to clients depending on it, you would think, everything you can do too optimize the system will benefit as much as possible, Period.. if you or anyone else has a problem with the analogy, then please by all means inform every distro etc. to not worry about what we want or need during installation and just install it....

Original poster? being who exactly?

My mistake, didn't realize you were the original poster. The point stands; creating the external library wasn't easy, and it is enough to do the job for a lot of people.
  • 9(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xbmc minified as a server?9
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.