$1,000 HTPC: If you wanna good laugh read this article
I told a co-worker that I built a HTPC, and he sent me this article:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/31/how-t...hly-1-000/

Take a look at the last picture where he has the "HTPC" next to his TV
It looks like a refrigerator!!!! He used a Full-Sized Tower!!!

This really bothers me since it discourages someone who knows nothing about computers, into thinking that they'll never be able to build a HTPC.
OR that it costs $1,000

HTPirator ..

FTW!

That's too much man.....

But what ever makes people happy it's what matters! Rofl
Hey Beer,..we should post your build next to that guy's refrigerator. Hahaha
Mine is not as cool as his.... I can't get no beer from mine.... he is going to make fun of mine that it's called an A6-PACK and no beer.....

Sad
Most of the time.....it's not the cost.....it's the hobby and whatever float their boat.........!

I actually like his built a lot..........it matches the rest of his entertainment center component......!
>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
I am not a fan of the fact the $1k HTPC lacks a SSD. I do understand wanting more power in the livingroom though.

Hey, at least they gave XBMC a cameo appearance in that article! Smile
Thanks for pointing this, it is fun... I just went there and trashed the guy... He should reconsider allowing posts on his blog... Laugh
I must apologize here for my inner devil... Devil
It is a complete waste of money.
I can build almost 3 a6-packs for that amount of cash...
Am I the only one that read the intro? It's stated right in there that he's "not even going to try" building an HTPC. It also states that the $1000 price is set (ie-the idea is to build an HTPC with a set price of $1000). It also says that he is building it to be future proof-SSD, 5 TB storage, gaming, etc.
Guys, before bashing or thinking the author is misguided, actually read the first couple paragraphs of his article. He already knows one can build a HTPC system for much cheaper. He is also using it for media storage as well. It's not a build for me but I wouldn't go so far to insinuate the author is clueless. Even XBMC was mentioned in the article.

From the article:
Quote:This is an auspicious year for building an HTPC or indeed any type of sub-$1,000 rig. Intel's new Ivy Bridge processors are about to exert a nice downward pressure on last year's finest, despite the fact that Sandy Bridge still holds up well for many people's needs -- and much the same can be said of AMD's Llano APUs following the arrival of Trinity. In fact, thanks to the market's regular churn, the HTPC parts we look at after the break could easily fall below their $1,019 total bill before you even pick up your screwdriver. (Okay, so we went slightly over $1,000. It's a free country.)

On the other hand, you'd have to be mildly loopy to drop serious cash on a PC that's solely for media consumption. Times have changed since our last build in 2009, and they're unrecognizable compared to the time before that. These days, even ARM-powered smartphones can handle 1080p in and out, nettops with Blu-ray drives can be had for $500 and even totally silent fanless HTPCs are available for around $1,000 (albeit with very modest specs). From that perspective, this might actually be a terrible time to persuade people that spending a grand on a plain old home-built HTPC makes sense -- and that's why, after the break, we're not even going to try.
(2012-06-01, 20:10)TerranQ Wrote: Am I the only one that read the intro? It's stated right in there that he's "not even going to try" building an HTPC. It also states that the $1000 price is set (ie-the idea is to build an HTPC with a set price of $1000). It also says that he is building it to be future proof-SSD, 5 TB storage, gaming, etc.

Fair enough,..but you'd have to admit that his title is a little misleading: "How-to: Build a multi-talented HTPC for (roughly) $1,000"
I would argue that any one of the HTPC's we've built are multi-talented.
I'd also argue the point of trying to build a "future-proof" PC.
Can anything electronic be future-proof. What is future-proof anyway?

I think what struck a wrong cord with me, (and it appears from all the comments on his article) is that in these times, some of us are lucky if we have the extra money for anything like this at all. If you look at Eskro's posts where he tries to economize the "price vs value" of components,....I think he's doing us all a favor.

But, I appreciate your comment and your fairness to someone's choice to build what he wants to build no matter the cost.

If there's one thing I've learned in the xbmc forums, it's that everyone has different wants/needs. I personally want a small/silent htpc that runs Linux and will play videos from my NAS. Others (like Sarif at Engadget) want something else - specifically the exact opposite! What I love about XBMC is that there is no single vendor demanding that things be done one way or the other - we all set up our systems to be the right balance of features/cost/convenience for our own situations. Thanks again to all the XBMC developers (past and present) and the community here on the forums for giving us these options.
(2012-06-01, 22:13)teaguecl Wrote: If there's one thing I've learned in the xbmc forums, it's that everyone has different wants/needs. I personally want a small/silent htpc that runs Linux and will play videos from my NAS. Others (like Sarif at Engadget) want something else - specifically the exact opposite! What I love about XBMC is that there is no single vendor demanding that things be done one way or the other - we all set up our systems to be the right balance of features/cost/convenience for our own situations. Thanks again to all the XBMC developers (past and present) and the community here on the forums for giving us these options.

Good post!!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
$1,000 HTPC: If you wanna good laugh read this article0