"Cleaning database" message pops up in nightly
I stopped using Kodi/XBMC several years ago due to having too many nagging issues, so I'm trying to see if the issues I was having before have been fixed.

This one hasn't either.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=206927

Or the issue with Kodi sometimes getting stuck as a background process after closing, requiring an end task via task manager to be able to run the program again. That has already happened 3 times in the past 2 days of using V17.

It's free software so I have no room to complain, but it's tiresome waiting for fixes that never come after 5 years and being helpless since I'm not a programmer and can't do anything to fix it.

Sometimes it's just easier to launch the file in MPC-HC and forget about having any kind of media software. It just works.
That's your choice, of course, but if you can't even be bothered to keep on top of a Trac ticket or raise a new one, what makes you think someone else (a developer) is going to sit down for several hours plugging away at fixing the problem?

I don't know about the other issue you linked, it doesn't seem strange or unexpected to me that running an application which utilises the GPU and performs who-knows-how-many background tasks triggered by addons and the core would make Windows think it's not idle.

The issue with not shutting down cleanly is 100% addon related too, all you need to do is identify the culprit (the last one I had that caused it was the Skin Helper Service addon).
(2017-03-14, 12:40)beeswax Wrote: I don't know about the other issue you linked, it doesn't seem strange or unexpected to me that running an application which utilises the GPU and performs who-knows-how-many background tasks triggered by addons and the core would make Windows think it's not idle.
It was never an issue, until suddenly it was an issue. I used XBMC for many years without this screensaver bug. Of the hundreds of programs I've used (many audio/video related) I've never had this issue with any others.

The bug is that it only happens when Kodi is minimized. When it's full screen the Windows screen saver activates just fine 100% of the time. I provided a log when asked and nothing came of it. What more do you want me to do? Again, I'm just a user, not a programmer.

(2017-03-14, 12:40)beeswax Wrote: The issue with not shutting down cleanly is 100% addon related too, all you need to do is identify the culprit (the last one I had that caused it was the Skin Helper Service addon).
I am only using the default Kodi profile. I haven't added anything to it yet.

This is what I was told last time I was here.
(2014-12-03, 13:23)Memphiz Wrote: We are out of windows devs ...
(2014-12-03, 18:59)jjd-uk Wrote: The Windows dev's seem to have little free time at the moment to look at issues at the moment.
Seems not much has changed?
(2017-03-14, 12:15)StinDaWg Wrote: It's free software so I have no room to complain, but it's tiresome waiting for fixes that never come after 5 years and being helpless since I'm not a programmer and can't do anything to fix it.
I can understand why being able to report a bug makes you expectant that someone will fix it sometime in 5 years. But I also know why that is unrealistic. The dev team of volunteers is nether big enough, nor motivated enough, to troll through all the things ever raised on Trac, that may or may not still be or have ever been a bug, and try to fix them.

Ask yourself if you had the skills what would you actually do? Looking at what others have done, including my self, you would fix bugs that impacted your use sure, you would add features and improvements that interested you, and then you would do your best maintain any areas that you had gained familiarity with, support users and deal with new issues as they come up. There won't be enough hours in the day of course, so you will never do it all.

(2017-03-14, 13:25)StinDaWg Wrote: This is what I was told last time I was here.
(2014-12-03, 13:23)Memphiz Wrote: We are out of windows devs ...
(2014-12-03, 18:59)jjd-uk Wrote: The Windows dev's seem to have little free time at the moment to look at issues at the moment.
Seems not much has changed?
The big change in the last 5 years is that the dev team is even smaller and the number of users far far greater.

The pressure of so many users (some waiting patiently and politely, others ranting) and so few devs makes us grumpy. The team really are doing their best. Your "tiresome" comment was polite, but it still grates. We are all helpless in that there is nowhere to get extra resources from on demand to do anything.

You are waiting for a fix, well so are the dev team.
@DaveBlake it's only "tiresome" because I actually want to use Kodi, and recommend it to others, but I can't because there are too many lingering bugs. These specific bugs may not be that important to some people, but they are crippling in usability and potentially tv damaging in others.

I have a plasma hooked up to my htpc, and I need the screensaver to come on, to prevent image retention and potential burn in. I realize this may only apply to 5% of your user-base, but it's a deal breaker for me. In the past what I did was close XBMC every time I finished watching a video, so that the screensaver would become active again. 10-20% of the time XBMC would not close properly. When I go to open it again nothing happens. I realize it is stuck as a background process and need to force kill it in the task manager. Rinse and repeat several times a day. I gave up using it because it wasn't worth dealing with for the pretty menus and organization.

I tried setting it up for my mom on her laptop connected to her tv via HDMI, but too often it would crash when closing the lid, switching the source, or the sound would start playing from the laptop speakers instead of the tv. She got too frustrated and just went back to cable. A lot more expensive, but it "just works" 99% of the time.

I've tried Plex multiple times and didn't care much for it. Unfortunately there isn't much else out there.

As someone who has put in a lot of time on various projects for free, I totally get it, and respect everyone who partakes in such things. It's just too bad there is a lack of people with the skills to help. It is what it is.

Kodi is awesome when it works, but as a user when it doesn't it's extremely frustrating.
Do you have to use windows?
A raspberry pi zero costs the same as a couple of coffees, a pi3 or amlogic box running eg libreelec costs small change and performs really well.
(2017-03-15, 13:08)trogggy Wrote: Do you have to use windows?
Yes. I have a powerful pc/gpu and I use Kodi DSPlayer with madVR.
(2017-03-20, 12:26)StinDaWg Wrote:
I'm not sure I see the relevance of your powerful pc if it's not doing what you want but okay.
(2017-03-20, 12:30)trogggy Wrote:
(2017-03-20, 12:26)StinDaWg Wrote:
I'm not sure I see the relevance of your powerful pc if it's not doing what you want but okay.
madVR is Windows exclusive and needs a powerful gpu to run the highest settings. I am not using Kodi right now but if the issues got fixed I'd use the DSPlayer version which is not available on a Pi.

Until then I'm just launching MPC-HC from file browser. Giving up madVR is not an option for me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
"Cleaning database" message pops up in nightly2