switch external hdd between computers
Is it possible to maintain library data if i switched a hard drive from one xbmc computer to another without rescraping?
That will depend on whether that hard drive only contains your media files or if it's a complete installation (OS, XBMC application/data and media files). If it's the latter, you should be fine. If it's the former, you'll need to have XBMC installed on the second PC and you can copy the userdata directory over from the first machine so you don't have to rebuild your library or re-implement your XBMC settings.
What if say 'drive c:' was allready in use by the newer machine. and the old drive was named 'c' on the old computer, would that make a difference?
Please bear with me, I have maybe an hour behind the xbmc software.

If the new computer has 3 media only hdd with library info and the old computer has 4 media only hdds with libray info and I take away 1 hdd from old computer and put in new computer. Can I maintain the libraries on both computers just switching the info for the single drive?

For example, I imagine if I copy the whole userdata directory from the old computer to the new one, I would have info for the other drives that didn't switch to the new computer. Also I imagine I would lose the existing library info on the new computer for the hdds that were allready there.

I will probably just rescrape everything after I switch the drives as I haven't spent a lot of time setting up the metadata, but I am curious if this can be done.
The database contains the paths to files e.g. the entry for "Toy Story" might contain a path like:

E:\XBMC\Videos\Pixar\Toy Story\Toy Story.mkv

As long as all the drive letters stay the same your old library should work fine. However if a drive letter changes or if you move films to a different directory you'll run into problems because XBMC will get the old path from the database and look in the wrong place.
I'm almost brand new to XMBC, so this is as much a question as it is an answer.. But:
Maybe XBMC has an option somewhere to switch over directory to find the now changed folders (if it exist I would imagine it to be under the Movie>Files>SOURCE options), if not maybe someone should suggest it for the next version Smile
If you export your library before you change drives it's pretty much a non-issue 'cause rescraping is almost instant.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
switch external hdd between computers0