Mi7 Report: i7-3770s + Pico160 + Big Shuriken = Dead Silent, High Powered (w. pics)
What I don't understand about these builds is the cost of such powerful processors for a HTPC. You're not using a discrete GPU so they aren't built for gaming (well basic gaming is possible), so aren't you better off with a much cheaper i3/i5 processor with a decent discrete GPU? You're running windows so drivers isn't a problem. I don't understand the desire for a $340 i7 processor for these.
(2012-06-21, 15:21)Malosar Wrote: What I don't understand about these builds is the cost of such powerful processors for a HTPC. You're not using a discrete GPU so they aren't built for gaming (well basic gaming is possible), so aren't you better off with a much cheaper i3/i5 processor with a decent discrete GPU? You're running windows so drivers isn't a problem. I don't understand the desire for a $340 i7 processor for these.
Different people have different needs......some people have a need for speed.....if he/she have tone of blu-ray discs for transcoding or editing, it is worth it. In the case of Intel i7-3770s, user is enlightened with speed and the latest HD4000 iGPU..........

(2012-06-19, 20:16)helpermonkey Wrote: In all seriousness, i did not try and manually start the computer ... that would have been a good idea.
For future build, you might want to consider it. You'll know for sure that what going into the case is working. It'll save a lot of time. If it is DOA mobo, CPU, RAM, GPU, etc, you don't have to waste time removing it fromt he case.....

(2012-06-19, 20:16)helpermonkey Wrote: Instead, i dropped it off at the computer store and will let them see what they can figure out. Without my onslaught of spare parts and testing components, I kind of just resigned myself to paying a little to have someone else look at it.
They should be able to figure it out for you, and good luck!

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
(2012-06-21, 08:32)vooharmy Wrote: The only problem I'm having is heat, I am probably going to swap out the TV tuner for a USB and put in the best low profile GPU I can find. The heat is only an issue under full GPU + Full CPU load but it holds up great as long as the GPU isn't full stick. I wanted to put a water cooler in but its very very tight and i really need a water cooler that's 80mm radiator and I cant find such a thing.
Do you know what is the CFM rating for your 80mm case fan? You might want to consider installing another silent 80mm case fan with better CFM rating, and this one "SilenX EFX-08-15" seem to have the best CFM to noise ratio......

If there is room for this "Scythe SCBSK-2100" low profile CPU cooler in your case, I highly recommend it too.....
(2012-06-21, 08:32)vooharmy Wrote: As you can see very similar specs so the psu is definitely powerful enough for the rig, If its not turning on though I would think your PSU is damage some how. The only problem I'm having is heat, I am probably going to swap out the TV tuner for a USB and put in the best low profile GPU I can find. The heat is only an issue under full GPU + Full CPU load but it holds up great as long as the GPU isn't full stick. I wanted to put a water cooler in but its very very tight and i really need a water cooler that's 80mm radiator and I cant find such a thing.

I'm guessing at this point it's either the processor or the PSU, further exploration is in the the works!

(2012-06-21, 15:21)Malosar Wrote: What I don't understand about these builds is the cost of such powerful processors for a HTPC. You're not using a discrete GPU so they aren't built for gaming (well basic gaming is possible), so aren't you better off with a much cheaper i3/i5 processor with a decent discrete GPU? You're running windows so drivers isn't a problem. I don't understand the desire for a $340 i7 processor for these.

In addition to what BluRay said, I've spoken at length when people ask me why I put so much horsepower behind this thing, if I was simply just streaming movies, I can assure you I wouldn't be doing this. ;-) I expect to be doing a lot of transcoding with this box, I plan on keeping it for a good bit, and
(2012-06-21, 16:11)bluray Wrote:
(2012-06-21, 08:32)vooharmy Wrote: The only problem I'm having is heat, I am probably going to swap out the TV tuner for a USB and put in the best low profile GPU I can find. The heat is only an issue under full GPU + Full CPU load but it holds up great as long as the GPU isn't full stick. I wanted to put a water cooler in but its very very tight and i really need a water cooler that's 80mm radiator and I cant find such a thing.
Do you know what is the CFM rating for your 80mm case fan? You might want to consider installing another silent 80mm case fan with better CFM rating, and this one "SilenX EFX-08-15" seem to have the best CFM to noise ratio......

If there is room for this "Scythe SCBSK-2100" low profile CPU cooler in your case, I highly recommend it too.....

I don't know - i haven't checked as I've pulled the case fan out for now. Once i get it cranked up, I'll see if it needs any more air in it! Thanks for the suggestions doode! :-) You are so right about starting it up manually! I should kick myself for not doing it but oh well, you live and you learn!
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
(2012-06-22, 00:22)helpermonkey Wrote:
(2012-06-21, 08:32)vooharmy Wrote:

I don't know - i haven't checked as I've pulled the case fan out for now. Once i get it cranked up, I'll see if it needs any more air in it! Thanks for the suggestions doode! :-) You are so right about starting it up manually! I should kick myself for not doing it but oh well, you live and you learn!
The questions are for vooharmy.........

Hi Cfm on my case fan is 28, unfortunately clearance is 37mm on cpu fan so it would need to smaller. ATM I have under clocked the CPU to deal with heat. Not an solution.
Alright ... we have identified the culprit ...stupid molex to p4 cord ... so we have power and everything is running fine, i drilled a larger hole so power supply fits like a champ. time to test and make sure all the ports work, etc...etc... and then i'll tighten the case and get kicking.
The Mi7 (full specs)
HTPC: Antek ISK 300 | Pico 160 | ASRock z77E | i7 3770S | GSkill Ares 8GB | BigShuriken 2 | Crucial 64 SSD
TOYS: Panasonic TC-P58S2 | Onkyo TX-SR608 | Atlantic Tech 2400 | Harmony 1 | iPazzPort ProMini | Mohu 1000 | HomeRun Dual | 2x2TB NAS
(2012-06-26, 19:55)helpermonkey Wrote: Alright ... we have identified the culprit ...stupid molex to p4 cord ... so we have power and everything is running fine, i drilled a larger hole so power supply fits like a champ. time to test and make sure all the ports work, etc...etc... and then i'll tighten the case and get kicking.
So, it is related to PSU as expected....I'm glad that everything still work fine.....good luck!

yeah +1 to you guys on that! i doubt i would have figured it out on my own as i didn't have any other compatible boards lying around. cost me $40 for them to look at the computer and i now have 8gb of ram instead of 4 .... i suppose that's my tax! :-)

it's going to be a fun night though.
The Mi7 (full specs)
(2012-06-26, 19:55)helpermonkey Wrote: Alright ... we have identified the culprit ...stupid molex to p4 cord ... so we have power and everything is running fine, i drilled a larger hole so power supply fits like a champ. time to test and make sure all the ports work, etc...etc... and then i'll tighten the case and get kicking.

Hmmm, I wonder if this is what's gone wrong with one of my 120-WI-25s. Thanks for posting this!
No problem! The power supply issues on my end may not be over, i just plugged in the iPazz receiver and the machine rebooted.
The Mi7 (full specs)
a little update for everyone in the OP. I'll add pictures and stuff once i'm done!
The Mi7 (full specs)
I know this thread is a bit old but OP, if you're still around, did you ever measure the powerdraw on this rig? Thanks.
(2012-11-14, 07:03)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I know this thread is a bit old but OP, if you're still around, did you ever measure the powerdraw on this rig? Thanks.

Hey Dougie,
I am still around just hella busy. I did not. I've been traveling quite a bit so i haven't really had a chance to do anything else like configure the box to work with my remote or anything. It'll probably be some time before I'm home but if there's anything specific you want to know, I'll see if i can grab it next time i'm home (in a few days for a few hours).

The Mi7 (full specs)
(2012-11-14, 20:38)helpermonkey Wrote:
(2012-11-14, 07:03)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I know this thread is a bit old but OP, if you're still around, did you ever measure the powerdraw on this rig? Thanks.

Hey Dougie,
I am still around just hella busy. I did not. I've been traveling quite a bit so i haven't really had a chance to do anything else like configure the box to work with my remote or anything. It'll probably be some time before I'm home but if there's anything specific you want to know, I'll see if i can grab it next time i'm home (in a few days for a few hours).

Great, thanks! I'd just like to know the power draw when sitting at the desktop, watching a 1080p video and when maxed out. I am trying to size a power supply for a similar i7-3770S build but I don't have the parts to measure it. If you have a Kill-a-Watt and would be so kind I'd really appreciate it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mi7 Report: i7-3770s + Pico160 + Big Shuriken = Dead Silent, High Powered (w. pics)0