Linux XBMC: Frame Buffer usage
Hi all,

We have cross-compiled XBMC for a Set-top-Box, board with Intel graphics card.
When I run XBMC , we are getting the following errors:
10:20:09 T:3053991728 M:527937536 ERROR: CXRandR::Query - unable to open xrandr xml
10:20:09 T:3053991728 M:527945728 NOTICE: Setup SDL
10:20:09 T:3053991728 M:529735680 FATAL: XBAppEx: Unable to initialize SDL: DirectFBCreate: Initialization error!

I do have all the related libraries and have linked the same thru LD_LIBRARY_PATH , Does any one know how to configure XBMC to use the FrameBuffers.
Any quick help in this regard is of great help.

Thanks in advance,

theuni does/did https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/454 "Depends on latest DirectFB / Mesa"
(2012-06-11, 14:44)RockerC Wrote: theuni does/did https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/454 "Depends on latest DirectFB / Mesa"
Albeit he's saying
Quote:Letting this die. While it is interesting as a concept, this would bring in no additional hardware support at the moment.

Much more interesting would be skipping the dfb layer and using mesa+kms directly. See here: http://virtuousgeek.org/blog/index.php/j...h_egl_and_

So the answer up to this point has to be:
There is currently no way to get XBMC started without X11 (I think that there is a headless-version somewhere out there, but that really makes no usage-sense in this case, right?)...

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2012-06-12, 15:34)HenryFord Wrote: So the answer up to this point has to be:
There is currently no way to get XBMC started without X11 (I think that there is a headless-version somewhere out there, but that really makes no usage-sense in this case, right?)...

False, XBMC can start on the framebuffer! Or do you really think the RaspberryPi is starting up a full fledged X11?
(2012-06-12, 20:28)j1nx Wrote: False, XBMC can start on the framebuffer! Or do you really think the RaspberryPi is starting up a full fledged X11?
1. You shouldn't call people being "false" if you do not deliver reliable resources to back you up.
2. I do not only think that, but I know it: Raspbmc is using a custom built X11* - nobody talked about "full fledged" X11... OpenELEC does it too, by the way.
This is due to the fact that XBMC runs over EGL ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGL_(OpenGL) ) and the port for the framebuffer (mainly via DoveFB) hasn't been finished - you know, the quote I posted? It came from said patch for such a port. And there is no other implementation currently available - so yes, raspbmc also uses X11.

* = It is indeed possible to start XBMC without X11 - but also without a GUI (see my headless reference)... so it doesn't make sense to talk about that here.

Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

(2012-06-12, 20:47)HenryFord Wrote: 1. You shouldn't call people being "false" if you do not deliver reliable resources to back you up.

The reliable source is the AMLOGIC and RaspberryPI port. Also in mainline you can see that we do not need X11/MESA/SDL/DirectFB for getting the XBMC GUI up and running. Looks like you are not well informed in that case.

(2012-06-12, 20:47)HenryFord Wrote: 2. I do not only think that, but I know it: Raspbmc is using a custom built X11* - nobody talked about "full fledged" X11... OpenELEC does it too, by the way.
This is due to the fact that XBMC runs over EGL ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EGL_(OpenGL) ) and the port for the framebuffer (mainly via DoveFB) hasn't been finished - you know, the quote I posted? It came from said patch for such a port. And there is no other implementation currently available - so yes, raspbmc also uses X11.

Just wrong. Openelec on the PI doesn't use any kind of X11. EGL doesn't need any X11/SDL/DirectFB. It depends how the vendor stack is implemented. RaspberryPI/AMLOGIC/A10 only using the framebuffer for the EGL rendering. About DoveFB you also write wrong and do not know how it works and what it is for. Looks like you are not well informed in that case.

(2012-06-12, 20:47)HenryFord Wrote: * = It is indeed possible to start XBMC without X11 - but also without a GUI (see my headless reference)... so it doesn't make sense to talk about that here.

Half true. We have since short a headless mode. For the GUI X11 is still not needed for every platform. Looks like you are not well informed in that case.

(2012-06-12, 20:47)HenryFord Wrote: 1. You shouldn't call people being "false" if you do not deliver reliable resources to back you up.

Don't get me wrong HenryFord. I did not try to call you FALSE. You answered a question with a false answer. To be honest, I only recently discovered XBMC can start on the FrameBuffer only while looking into the Allwinner support. That is why It ried to correct your statement. My apologies if it was interpretated as a personal attack/flame. Not my intension.

Anyway, Gimli gave all the correct answers (He was also my resource). He is the expert, so let's put our trust in his words.

Back on the topic;

I actually don't know how to solve the problem. Maybe Gimli can answer that question as well.

(2012-06-12, 22:35)gimli Wrote: (...)
Well obviously I was plain wrong - thanks for putting me right here.

(2012-06-13, 06:47)j1nx Wrote: Don't get me wrong HenryFord. I did not try to call you FALSE. You answered a question with a false answer. To be honest, I only recently discovered XBMC can start on the FrameBuffer only while looking into the Allwinner support. That is why It ried to correct your statement. My apologies if it was interpretated as a personal attack/flame. Not my intension.
Yeah, I realized that now. The statement hit me on my grumpy foot, apologies.

I have seen one more media player application opening

open("/dev/gdl/0", O_RDWR|O_SYNC) = 11
open("/dev/gdl/0", O_RDWR) = 12
open("/dev/gdl/track", O_RDWR) = 1
and working as expected.
But i am unable to bring up XBMC, XBMC is failing to open the Display Device.

Any Ideas on how to link XBMC to the Display device.
Thanks,
Rashmi
@rashmi/newbie007, to clearify, are you the same person (cross-posting the exact same thing in several threads)? Huh

In any case, maybe you should explain in more detail what exactly you want to achieve, on what hardware, and why?
(2012-06-13, 13:22)RockerC Wrote: @rashmi/newbie007, to clearify, are you the same person (cross-posting the exact same thing in several threads)? Huh

In any case, maybe you should explain in more detail what exactly you want to achieve, on what hardware, and why?

Nah...... He want the eternal Internet fame Big Grin
(2012-06-13, 13:48)j1nx Wrote: Nah...... He want the eternal Internet fame Big Grin
Laughed so hard at this Big Grin
Thanks for that Wink

we both are team mates working on the same issue... for which we have posted unknowingly at different times... thats it and nothing for fame and all...:X

Anyways the fun apart, we have got good info with regard to our qn...

As we have already mentioned, "We have cross-compiled XBMC for a Set-top-Box, board with Intel graphics card and Ubuntu running on top of it"

There are some issues related to bringing up the display of XBMC... thats why we are seeking help from this forum...
"Ubuntu running on top of it", Ubuntu runs X11, why do you want to bring another display manager into the mix ?

I assume you have GLES support ? You really have not supplied enough info to answer the question.
See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...dowing/egl

if your framebuffer needs any special init, see CWinSystemGLES::InitWindowSystem

this works fine under panda and tegra2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC: Frame Buffer usage 0