Help me finish my build.
So I have a desktop PC that is sitting in my media center taking up a bunch of space that I have been thinking of getting a smaller case for. This is an older build that I have setup for my wife so she can browse the net on our 60" rear projection TV. My current media server setup is via my main computer running PS3 Media Server through my PS3. However, due to a recent issue I haven't had time to diagnose, as well as the fact that I am limited to 5.1 channels through my PS3 (I have a Denon 7.1 AVR-1611 with Onkyo speakers), I have been considering an HTPC build to finally take advantage of my AVR's full capabilities.

Now that you know what I would like to do, here is what I am thinking of doing, and I'm hoping those of you with more experience my might be able to make some good recommendations for me. Also, if I do build an HTPC, I would like to scavenge as much of the current desktop that my wife uses as possible.

Current PC's hardware:
Intel Core 2 Duo E6750
MSI ATX Motherboard P43-C51
EVGA GeForce GT 220 1024 MB GDDR3 01G-P3-1226-LR
8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333
500w Cooler Master PSU

What I might like to do would be to just replace the case I currently have. The problem is, I don't know if my current hardware will be capable of the 7.1 sound (DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD specifically) I desire, as well as a very limited selection of ATX HTPC cases.

My other option would be to upgrade the mobo, CPU, and case. However, I would like to stay under 200 dollars invested in new hardware.

I will be running Windows 7 x64, and will either move some of my HDDs to this setup, or I will stream over a wireless N or wired LAN. I hope this is more than enough info for someone to help me out. I'm loving the look and feel as well as the features of XBMC so far when compared to PS3 Media Server (even though this is a super simple server). Can't wait to see what you guys help me come up with!
(2012-06-12, 11:49)espylacopa Wrote: What I might like to do would be to just replace the case I currently have. The problem is, I don't know if my current hardware will be capable of the 7.1 sound (DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD specifically) I desire, as well as a very limited selection of ATX HTPC cases.
The bottleneck is your GPU. If you want to be able to bitstream DTS-HD/TrueHD, you'll need at least the Nvidia GT520 or AMD HD5xxx. I'm recommending GT430 or HD6570. You should be able to playback everything with your other hardware's.......

>Alienware X51- do it all HTPC
>Simplify XBMC configurations
>HOW-TO Bitstreaming using XBMC
I refused to watch movie without bitstreaming HD audio!
Thats a full ATX board. You not going to be able to get much smaller. Also Will XBMC even do 7.1?
(2012-06-12, 17:22)Jetster Wrote: Thats a full ATX board. You not going to be able to get much smaller. Also Will XBMC even do 7.1?

If the GPU and software (XBMC) can "bitstream", it's really not "doing" 5.1 or 7.1 or anything. It's simply passing the audio stream to the AVR for decoding. Whatever the source in is -- is the source out. The GPU and software are simpy the pipeline.
(2012-06-12, 16:41)bluray Wrote: The bottleneck is your GPU. If you want to be able to bitstream DTS-HD/TrueHD, you'll need at least the Nvidia GT520 or AMD HD5xxx. I'm recommending GT430 or HD6570. You should be able to playback everything with your other hardware's.......

So are you saying that the GPU I have currently will be unable to do a "pass-through" of the audio from my PC directly to my AVR for it to decode? Or I guess this is more commonly referred to as bitstreaming?

(2012-06-12, 17:22)Jetster Wrote: Thats a full ATX board. You not going to be able to get much smaller. Also Will XBMC even do 7.1?

You can definitely get smaller. To my knowledge, ATX is the largest you can go. I am open to something smaller, even though I know that sticking with the LGA775 to reuse the processor would likely leave me unable to use 2 of my current RAM sticks.

Also, to my knowledge, the nightly builds of XBMC have HD audio capabilities built in, and it is supposed to be included in the next official release (XBMC 12?). Unless I have misunderstood what I've read about this so far, then I don't know.

(2012-06-12, 17:51)Dougie Fresh Wrote:

If the GPU and software (XBMC) can "bitstream", it's really not "doing" 5.1 or 7.1 or anything. It's simply passing the audio stream to the AVR for decoding. Whatever the source in is -- is the source out. The GPU and software are simpy the pipeline.

So do you think my current card can do just that? I am currently able to get sound through the HDMI port on the video card. So am I technically already bitstreaming that audio? I'll see what info I can get on the Nvidia forums too.

Also, any thoughts on just replacing the current case with an actual HTPC case rather than the mid-tower ATX case I have laying on its side in my media center? The thing is huge, lol! I don't mind something that is as large, or slightly larger than my current AVR. I would just really like to downsize the current monstrosity!

Thanks for the help so far! Keep this going and help me reach my goal of HD sound bliss!

Hes saying your current bit streaming is not HD The GT 220 will not do DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD specifically. It will do DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 which is what XBMC will do. XBMC natively will not do HD ether. But there are work arounds for this

Also a ATX board will not fit into a micro ATX case. That is what I meant
(2012-06-12, 20:32)Jetster Wrote: Hes saying your current bit streaming is not HD The GT 220 will not do DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD specifically. It will do DTS and Dolby Digital 5.1 which is what XBMC will do. XBMC natively will not do HD ether. But there are work arounds for this

Also a ATX board will not fit into a micro ATX case. That is what I meant

Ok, good info on that video card. Saved me some searching.

The XBMC nightly versions are supposed to be able to to HD audio natively though right? I'm referencing this when I say that: http://xbmc.org/dddamian/2012/05/30/xbmc-audio-goes-hd/

I know an ATX board will not fit. That's why I said I'm very limited in ATX HTPC cases, but then went on to say that I'd be willing to "upgrade" to a uATX motherboard instead. Again, my budget would be to stay under 200 USD for whatever route I took.
I dint realize they now support HD. Nice
A new ATX HTPC case like an nMediaPC 2000 or nMediaPC 6000 is about as inexpensive and still decent as it gets.

Add a HD6570 or HD6670. Or Nvidia GT430 -- whichever is best supported by the native XBMC player on Windows -- if it matters.

Use the rest of your components.

You should be well under $200.
(2012-06-12, 21:12)Dougie Fresh Wrote: A new ATX HTPC case like an nMediaPC 2000 or nMediaPC 6000 is about as inexpensive and still decent as it gets.

Thanks a lot for the nMediaPC recommendations. I don't know how I didn't see those cases in my previous searches. I love the fact that they have so much room to add a lot of my HDDs as well. My main computer case is filled as is, so this will certainly free up lots of room there.

Aside from nMediaPC's case offerings, is there another maker out there that I should consider as well?
(2012-06-12, 22:08)espylacopa Wrote:
(2012-06-12, 21:12)Dougie Fresh Wrote: A new ATX HTPC case like an nMediaPC 2000 or nMediaPC 6000 is about as inexpensive and still decent as it gets.

Thanks a lot for the nMediaPC recommendations. I don't know how I didn't see those cases in my previous searches. I love the fact that they have so much room to add a lot of my HDDs as well. My main computer case is filled as is, so this will certainly free up lots of room there.

Aside from nMediaPC's case offerings, is there another maker out there that I should consider as well?

Silverstone and Lian-Li comes to mind. There's also the Antec Fusion Max if you can find it. They will be much more expensive, however.
(2012-06-12, 22:26)Dougie Fresh Wrote: They will be much more expensive, however.

I just got a chance to check these all out on Newegg, and that is almost an understatement. lol

I think I'll head off to Fry's Electronics today and see if they have anything I can see up close before biting the bullet. It's looking like the case and GPU upgrade are going to be the route I take. I'll keep posted on what anyone else might have to offer for advice. Otherwise, the help so far has been great.

Thanks!
With the rest of your existing components, you can add these- SilverStone LC10B-E + MSI R6570-MD2GD3/LP Radeon HD 6570 2GB .....you should be able to playback all blu-ray files including bitstreaming DTS-H/TrueHD audio.....

If you want to setup XBMC for bitstreaming, you can check out my thread- Windows How to Bitstreaming using XBMC......
This is what I ended up ordering:

MSI AMD Radeon R6570-MD2GD3/LP

SilverStone LC13B-E

Hopefully it all works out well. I might try and find a modular power supply that is better suited for a cramped case. But that might have to wait a bit.
(2012-06-13, 20:10)espylacopa Wrote: This is what I ended up ordering:

MSI AMD Radeon R6570-MD2GD3/LP

SilverStone LC13B-E

Hopefully it all works out well. I might try and find a modular power supply that is better suited for a cramped case. But that might have to wait a bit.
You'll enjoy the case.....that case shouldn't be cramped at all. You'll have plenty of room for everything in that case......

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help me finish my build.1