Linux GUIDE: Installing XBMCBuntu Eden on a Shuttle XS35GTV2
I spent quite a bit of time getting the system up and running. My goal was to setup XBMC Eden with an internal SSD on a LAN. Hopefully this will help others with setup problems. Thanks to the following guide which I adapted to this setup: Shuttle XS35GT: Installing XBMC 10.0 Live (Dharma)

And to the XBMC forums which provided the missing pieces!

1. Hardware Needed
  2. Additional Hardware required for install
  3. Software Needed
  4. Assemble the hardware
  5. Install Latest Bios on Shuttle XS35GTV2
  6. Setup XBMC Eden on the USB Drive
  7. Bios Settings to change
  8. Install XBMCBuntu Eden
  9. Enable HDMI Audio
  10. Enable Suspend/Wake from remote
  11. Fix video skip/freeze problem every few minutes
  12. Fix for remote not responding when XBMC screen darkens (not really a fix yet!)
  13. Fix for gigabit networking issue
  14. Known Issues

1 - Hardware Needed
  • 1x Shuttle XS35GTV2
  • 1x Hauppauge Media Centre Control Kit
  • 1x Crucial M4 64GB SSD
  • 1x Crucial 4GB 204 PIN SODIMM DDR3 PC3-8500 CL7
  • 1x HDMI Cable

2 - Additional Hardware required for install
  • 1x USB keyboard
  • 1x USB drive

3 - Software Needed

4 - Assemble the hardware

1. Open the shuttle as per the instruction manual and install the memory and SSD, close once complete
  2. Connect the shuttle to your TV using the HDMI cable
  3. Attach the IR receiver to the USB port just above the capped VGA cable
  4. Attach the keyboard to the shuttle (any USB port)
  5. Attach an ethernet cable to the shuttle
  6. Connect the power to the shuttle

5 - Install Latest Bios on Shuttle XS35GTV2

1. Format the USB memory stick as a FAT32 device using Windows or whatever
  2. Use UNetBootin to install FREEDOS 1.0 to the USB memory stick
  3. Copy the ‘Dos’ directory from the bios zip file onto the USB memory stick
  4. Plug the keyboard and the USB Drive into the XS35GTV2
  5. Start the shuttle and hit "del" when prompted to enter the bios
  6. Choose the USB Drive as the primary boot device in the "boot" menu and save and exit the bios (This will then boot to the USB Drive)
  7. Select FREEDOS Live (don’t accept the default which is to install to hard drive)
  8. From the DOS command line, type ‘C:’ and hit enter key, and then cd into the ‘Dos’ directory where the BIOS files are (e.g. cd Dos)
  9. Type ‘flash’ and hit enter
  10. Be sure to wait until the flashing of the BIOS has completed (don’t interrupt it or the XS35GTV2 is probably toast)

6 - Setup XBMC Eden on the USB Drive

1. Format the USB memory stick as a FAT32 device using Windows or whatever
  2. Use UNetBootin to install the disk image for XBMCBuntu (xbmcbuntu-11.0.iso) to the USB Drive
  3. Insert the USB Drive back into the shuttle

7 - Bios Settings to change

1. Start the shuttle and hit "del" when prompted to enter the bios
  2. Main menu: Configure Sata as AHCI
  3. Advanced Menu: Change "USB Device Wakeup From S3" to enabled (this is needed for Wake from Suspend later on)
  4. Boot Menu: Select the USB Drive as the primary boot device and the SSD as the secondary
  5. Save and exit the BIOS (this will start the XBMCBuntu installation)

8 - Install XBMCBuntu Eden

1. Select XBMC install from the UNetBootin grub menu that appears
  2. Follow the menus that appear, you'll be asked to specify, country, language, keyboard type etc.
  3. Once you reach the drive/partition setup screens just choose "Use whole drive".
  4. On the user create screen I created a user called "xbmc" with the same as the password
  5. When the installation finishes, remove the USB drive and hit continue to reboot. Done!

9 - Enable HDMI Audio

After XBMC has booted:

1. Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a terminal and log in with the user/pass you created in the install
  2. Run the "alsamixer"command
  3. Hit F6 to select the soundcard in use and select "HDA NVidia"
  4. Hit "m" to unmute the s/pdif output (You'll see 00 appear in the centre of the screen)
  5. "Esc" to exit
  6. Run "aplay -l", You'll see output like this, take a note of the card number and device number for the NVidia card:
    Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  7. Ctrl+Alt+F7 to switch back to XBMC
  8. Go to "System->System->Audio output"
  9. Choose HDMI as the Audio Output, and whatever speaker config you have (I left this as 2.0)
  10. Select "Custom" for Audio output device and enter "plughw:1,3" for the Custom audio device (the 1,3 represents the card 1 device 3 from step 6)
  11. Select "Custom" for Passthrough output device and enter "plughw:1,3" for the Custom passthrough device (the 1,3 represents the card 1 device 3 from step 6)
  12. Done!

10 - Enable Suspend/Wake from remote

In section seven we have have already enabled wake on S3 in the bios. So we just need to install the right packages and configure rc.local

1. Ctrl+Alt+F1 to switch to a terminal and log in with the user/pass you created in the install
  2. Run the following command to install the required packages:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install policykit-1 upower acpi-support
  3. Run the following command to get the IR device ID:
    Code:
    dmesg | grep "mceusb [0-9]-[0-9]" | awk '{print $4}' | awk -F: '{print $1}'
  4. Take a note of the output of the previous command, it should be in the format [0-9]-[0-9], in my case it was 5-2
  5. Now edit rc.local
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/rc.local
  6. Insert the following lines before the "exit 0" line (take care to substitute the result from the previous command on the last line):
    Code:
    #
    # Enable wakeup on the USB Ports
    #
    # I move the HTPC around a lot so I just enable all ports for wakeup
    #

echo USB0 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
    echo USB1 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
    echo USB2 > /proc/acpi/wakeup
    echo USB3 > /proc/acpi/wakeup

#
    # Next we need to enable the IR receiver as a wake device
    #

sh -c 'echo enabled' > /sys/bus/usb/devices/5-2/power/wakeup

7. Save the file. Done!
  8. Ctrl+Alt+F7 to switch back to XBMC

11 - Fix video skip/freeze problem every few minutes

This is caused by the wireless libraries, took me ages to figure it out. As I am using a LAN only I just disabled them using the blacklist:

2. Now create a balcklist file fot the wifi
    Code:
    sudo vi /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-wifi.conf
  3. And add the following content:
    Code:
    # The wifi can cuase problems with Video playback. I don't use it so scrap it
    blacklist rtl8192ce
    blacklist rtl8192c_common
  4. Save the file. Done!
  5. Ctrl+Alt+F7 to switch back to XBMC

12 - Fix for remote not responding when XBMC screen darkens

I had a problem whereby everytime the screen darkened (in the menu system or when a video was paused) the remote would stop working and light on the IR Receiver would stay on permanently. If I then pressed a key on the keyboard or changed the output source on the TV it would come back.

I was setting up two shuttles, one for upstairs and the other for downstairs. It turns out that one of the TVs was the problem (or is affected more often). The TV upstairs will work most of the time without issues and the one downstairs will have the problem all the time. I don't really understand how HDMI can affect the IR receiver but this is definitely what happens. I have swapped the units a number of times and the results are always the same. Both TVs are Philips, upstairs I have a 32PFL3605H/12 (works most of the time) and downstairs I have a 42PFL5603D/12 (does not work). The workaround I use currently is to change the output source on the TV to get the remote to respond again.

For anyone else who has this problem there is a permanent workaround. You can stop using LIRC and use the linux kernel (ir-keytable) to process remote signals as keyboard presses (I've verified that this always works so LIRC appears to have a part to play with the issue). There are many guides around on how to this if you want to go down this road but be warned setting this up will take some time.

If anyone knows why LIRC or my IR Receiver (SMK RXX6000-0141E) seems to be incompatible with my TV I'd be interested to find out. Maybe it's just a strange bug...

13 - Fix for gigabit networking issue

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1060878

This should not longer be a problem from Eden onwards as the correct driver should be included in the kernel.

14 - Known Issues
  • No sound on menus - Don't really mind, if someones know how to fix this let me and I'll update the guide but we might just have to wait for the new audio engine in V12!

That's it!
Maintainer of Enigma2 PVR addon: repo, docschangelog
How to create a full debug: here
hey mate,

A couple of things, i have this running with fedora (15 on my current dharma install on the shuttle) and i dont have that remote stopping problem, check out my guide at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...e_XS35GTv2 and see if the IR config differs much.

I noticed you updated the BIOS, what did you gain by doing this? I have not done this yet, wondering if it would be worth doing.

Also, the video freeze problem your talking about, did the video stop then suddenly run through at double speed for a few seconds to catch up with the audio which is running fine? Mine does this every now and again, unfortunately im about to start using wireless on it, but i might test the blacklist trick anyway while im using LAN.

Finally, menu sound is a bit of a thing, it relates to the way that you have handled audio (the same way i have) by directly sending it to HW. The menu sounds and other things like TVTunes all use the standard OS sound output to work, without completely removing pulseaudio or getting pulseaudio working correctly you wont get menu sounds working.

IF your interested you can follow my post here:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=133835

When i get it working on that box I will be updating my shuttle to do the same, plus updating my wiki guide above, it might be a little work but it would be worth it in the end to get proper OS sound etc working.

One last question, do you have a TV that is compatible with 1080/24p mode? I have enabled it in xorg once on my shuttle, everytime it switched to it things got a bit broken ( i cant remember exactly what happened but i know it wasnt right!), wondering how you went? It could have been related to a weird nvidia driver problem, FC15, Dharma, etc so let me know how you went with it if you did try it and i might give it a whack when i update the thing.

PS - My shuttle has an OCZ SSD in it, but basically we are running the same sort of setup. Overall i have been really happy with my little shuttle, hopefully you are with yours too!
I tried the new bios. The powermizer issue does still exist. Without this being fixed the XS35 is a lame duck. It has a ION2 with only half the cuda cores. The powermizer issue (most likely a bios problem) prevents the ION2 from going full speed.
(2012-06-13, 03:08)abeeson Wrote: hey mate,

I noticed you updated the BIOS, what did you gain by doing this? I have not done this yet, wondering if it would be worth doing.

I just checked the shuttle site before I stated setting up XBMC and there was a slightly newer BIOS there so I installed it. As I didn't try anything with the old BIOS I don't know if it makes anything better.
(2012-06-13, 03:08)abeeson Wrote: Also, the video freeze problem your talking about, did the video stop then suddenly run through at double speed for a few seconds to catch up with the audio which is running fine? Mine does this every now and again, unfortunately im about to start using wireless on it, but i might test the blacklist trick anyway while im using LAN.

No I think my problem was different. Both the audio and video speed up together for a second. Most times it was not that noticeable but occasionally it would freeze completely and I'd have to restart the shuttle. Or it might be that this is how it manifests itself on Eden. In the post where I found the solution it said it was caused by the OS trying to access for wireless for some reason, if wireless was configured the problem might not occur.
(2012-06-13, 03:08)abeeson Wrote: Finally, menu sound is a bit of a thing, it relates to the way that you have handled audio (the same way i have) by directly sending it to HW. The menu sounds and other things like TVTunes all use the standard OS sound output to work, without completely removing pulseaudio or getting pulseaudio working correctly you wont get menu sounds working.

I'm happy to wait for the V12 and the new audio engine (where I hope all will be fixed). Too be honest I really use XBMC for watching video so having menu audio etc. is not too important at the moment. I came from using an old chipped XBox (but the poor little box just couldn't keep up with today's video compression!).
(2012-06-13, 03:08)abeeson Wrote: A couple of things, i have this running with fedora (15 on my current dharma install on the shuttle) and i dont have that remote stopping problem, check out my guide at http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...e_XS35GTv2 and see if the IR config differs much.

I didn't do any config for the remote. I think this was reworked in Eden so it would explain why I have issues. What's bugs me is that it works on one shuttle and not on the other. I'll try diffing all the config at some point to see can I find what the difference is. It must be something to do with power saving mode. It looks like the USB ports are not left in use when the screen darkens.
(2012-06-13, 03:08)abeeson Wrote: One last question, do you have a TV that is compatible with 1080/24p mode? I have enabled it in xorg once on my shuttle, everytime it switched to it things got a bit broken ( i cant remember exactly what happened but i know it wasnt right!), wondering how you went? It could have been related to a weird nvidia driver problem, FC15, Dharma, etc so let me know how you went with it if you did try it and i might give it a whack when i update the thing.

I can play 1080p with no problems (since the wireless workaround). I did not have to configure anything, just installed XBMCBuntu Eden straight onto it. The only changes I made to the OS config was blacklisting the wifi, wake/suspend in rc.local and running alsamixer. Other than than that it was painless configuration wise.
(2012-06-13, 03:08)abeeson Wrote: PS - My shuttle has an OCZ SSD in it, but basically we are running the same sort of setup. Overall i have been really happy with my little shuttle, hopefully you are with yours too!

Me too, it's a great device. I havn't had much time to play around with the latest XBMC yet but it still has the nicest UI of them all.
(2012-06-13, 11:31)FernetMenta Wrote: I tried the new bios. The powermizer issue does still exist. Without this being fixed the XS35 is a lame duck. It has a ION2 with only half the cuda cores. The powermizer issue (most likely a bios problem) prevents the ION2 from going full speed.

FernetMenta,

Have the guys at shuttle come back to you with anything? I would imagine this would be something they would be keen to fix as the hardware is really targeted at the HTPC market.

R.
I was told there is not much activity regarding this issue because it does fine using Windows. But they noticed increasing support cases. The more customer complaints they get the more they might move. Make this problem public, maybe an article in a magazine might be a good idea.
The Powermizer Bug is also present on my Sapphire Edge HD. It is possible to force The GPU to Max. Performance Setting via xorg.conf.
(2012-06-13, 19:14)john.cord Wrote: The Powermizer Bug is also present on my Sapphire Edge HD. It is possible to force The GPU to Max. Performance Setting via xorg.conf.

All those attempts have failed on Shuttle.
On the remote control issue I found out something interesting. If I change the source on the TV away from HDMI and then back again the remote wakes up (the same as pressing a key on the keyboard).

Other than that the only other way to solve this is to use ir-keytable and switch off LIRC. I've updated the post again but in short it seems to be an issue with HDMI on my TV, LIRC and the IR Receiver.

I'd like to figure out why this happens, what relationship does LIRC have with HDMIHuh It makes no sense.
I tried updating the firmware but unfortunately it did not make any difference. Still lost...
(2012-06-14, 01:54)phunkyfish Wrote: I found a fix for the remote problem. The original post has been updated!

Cheers for the info, and congrats on finding that!

When i do get around to updating mine i'll keep that in mind, fedora might be different to ubuntu but either way, i'll know where to look if it pops up Smile
(2012-06-13, 19:35)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2012-06-13, 19:14)john.cord Wrote: The Powermizer Bug is also present on my Sapphire Edge HD. It is possible to force The GPU to Max. Performance Setting via xorg.conf.

All those attempts have failed on Shuttle.

Code:
Option  "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevel=0x1; PowerMizerDefault=0x1;

Tried this?
This has been tried by many others including myself. Does on work on Shuttle.
Ok. This sucks. Hopefully there will be a new passive box with ati Hardware....
(2012-06-14, 18:44)john.cord Wrote: Ok. This sucks. Hopefully there will be a new passive box with ati Hardware....

Note that this is not an NVidia problem. They care much more about the Linux community than AMD does. Still waiting on mpeg2 support for XvBA. I don't even want to think about a Shuttle model with ATI Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
GUIDE: Installing XBMCBuntu Eden on a Shuttle XS35GTV20