• 49(current)
Release MyPicsDB: Pictures DB with EXIF, IPTC & XMP tags
(2021-03-01, 18:05)olwaldi Wrote: why not simply re-use the existing database to feed the kodi picture DB?

I had a glance of the Digikam SQLite database schema. There are about 4 fields in the metadata table, while I see some 250+ fields on the ExifTool info page...
So why is Digikam omitting so much info, or is it storing data differently/wrongly? Or is Exiftool trying too hard..?
(2021-03-01, 18:41)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-03-01, 18:05)olwaldi Wrote: why not simply re-use the existing database to feed the kodi picture DB?

I had a glance of the Digikam SQLite database schema. There are about 4 fields in the metadata table, while I see some 250+ fields on the ExifTool info page...
So why is Digikam omitting so much info, or is it storing data differently/wrongly? Or is Exiftool trying too hard..?
From my point of view digikam only stores those informations that might be useful for a user query. E. g. I'm typically not intrested in the exif version number, something transported by exif, or firmware version from camera. Digicam stores all "photographic" information (aperture, shutter time,..., even GPS data, keywords, timestamp). When I use digicam I've configured its exif viewer to display only this (admittedly) small subset from exif.

It's a kind of design decision to keep the size of the database as small as possible and as useful as possible. 

Regards, Michael
As it is, Kodi reads EXIF data when a photo folder "source" is opened.  There was a problem that any more than about 5k images in a source would max out memory and crash Kodi.  But I think in 18 it was fixed.  Instead of having to read in the EXIF every time it would be helpful to store at least some in the db, and that would allow smart playlist filtering and also faster load times for large sources.  I mostly used MyPicsDB for filtering (called collections in the addon).  Don't see a need for editing data in Kodi.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
(2021-02-16, 00:12)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-02-15, 22:38)Ubuntubirdy Wrote: So many years and team KODI does not notice how important a DB is for pictures! Why? Because almost everybody uses some kind of picture manager today and most of them work with a DB
If everyone already uses their favorite picture manager, why should we reinvent the wheel? A proper picture/photo manager will do so much more. Editing & updating metadata in photo files, moving photo folders/collections from one location to another, among other things. There is currently no intention of adding such a full-blown photo manager section to Kodi: the UI/UX would be too limited IMHO. As an example, try doing your whole photo management with only your TV remote control. It's unworkable.

Kodi will only be a photo viewer. A pics-db could be helpful for certain search or listing functionality, but file management (other than deleting files) on top of that is not to be expected. Right now, Team Kodi has its hands full with current release of Matrix. But as always, PRs are certainly welcomed in all Kodi areas.
(2021-02-15, 22:38)Ubuntubirdy Wrote: KODI does not... It's a shame!
Two posts you have written so far on this forum, one per year, and both of them is you whining over how things are wrong in Kodi with no helping hand whatsoever.
We'll be looking forward to your next complaint in 2022.

It seems that criticism cannot be dealt with here ... Ok, then I'll be gone ...
(2021-03-15, 13:08)Ubuntubirdy Wrote: It seems that criticism cannot be dealt with here ... Ok, then I'll be gone ...

I could say the same thing about you: complain and run.
But, it's always possible Kodi is not for everyone.
Good luck with whatever application works for you.
Short information,

I started converting MyPicsDB to Python 3.
It will be done in several steps:
  1. At first only Sqlite support
  2. Correcting the skin (blue line instead of blue rectangle around the active button) etc.
  3. Hopefully correcting the display of the Google Map
  4. Implementing requests like hiding the update dialog
  5. MySql/MariaDB support
I'll provide these beta version as an installable zip file and hope that there will be enough beta testers!

Stay save.
No log no help.
Main page: https://github.com/Xycl
Repository: Xycl Repository Leia
Repository: Xycl Repository Matrix
Great news!
MyPicsDB is one of the addons that stopping me to move on to Kodi 19 so this is really nice information!
I wish someone also make Xonfluence skin compatible with Python3 as the owner informed he is not going to maintain it any longer :-(
Anyway: thanks a lot and... good luck in programming :-)
Excellent Xycl, you rock ! 
MyPicDB is a must have addon for me. I was here checking possible compatibility issues before upgrading to KODI 19, so great to read you're working on it. I'll postponed my upgrade for the moment.
But I am also open for beta testing, can you explain where we'll get the beta versions to come ? or is it just to stay tuned on this thread maybe...
You can download my new repo for Matrix from Xycl's Matrix Repo
And then from this repo the MyPicsDB2 (currently only for Sqlite).

This version is a beta version!

Most menus which I tested seem to work.
You can copy your Lea MyPicsDB database to the Matrix database directory which then will be used by MyPicsDB2.
No log no help.
Installed 19.0.8 and it picked up my existing sqlite db, and a few basic menu options are working (update, random image, latest images) so thanks for that.  I don't have a lot of exif data so can't easily test the filter functions.

Thanks for taking this on.

scott s.
maintainer of skin  Aeon MQ5 mods for post-Gotham Kodi releases:
Matrix see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Matrix release thread
Nexus see: Aeon MQ5 Mod Nexus release thread
Aeon MQ 5 skin and addon repo 11.1.0
I tried this out and created a new database with over 35000 pictures, lots of exif data. Everything I've tried works. Filters, tags, dates, videos, ...
Thanks so much for updating.
Thanks to scott967 and sfontes for your replies.

1) Google Maps don't work anymore because they want to earn money. I'll remove Google Maps!
2) The update service works.

Next step is to introduce 2 new settings with which you can disable the popup during scan and the popup when scan is completed.
No log no help.
There was a bug in the XMP parser with unicode characters (ö, é etc.) which is now fixed.
No log no help.
(2021-04-03, 19:33)sfontes Wrote: I tried this out and created a new database with over 35000 pictures, lots of exif data.

Just to have some idea... How long did that scanning/scraping take before all was done?
And on what type of Kodi device?
(2021-04-09, 15:22)Klojum Wrote:
(2021-04-03, 19:33)sfontes Wrote: I tried this out and created a new database with over 35000 pictures, lots of exif data.

Just to have some idea... How long did that scanning/scraping take before all was done?
And on what type of Kodi device?
On a Core i5, MyPicsDB scans about 5 to 9 images stored on a NAS in 5 seconds.
With 35,000 images, that's about 8 to 10 hours.
If the images are local, it is faster because the images do not have to be copied via xmbcvfs to scan them.
No log no help.
  • 49(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
MyPicsDB: Pictures DB with EXIF, IPTC & XMP tags1